Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 02:41 PM

8,664 posts, read 4,736,208 times

Advertisements

Trump says he's considering short-term quarantine of parts of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

(CNN)President Donald Trump said Saturday that he's considering a short-term quarantine of "hot spots" in parts of the tri-state area -- New York, New Jersey and Connecticut -- where cases of coronavirus continue to rise.

"Restrict travel, because they're having problems down in Florida, a lot of New Yorkers going down. We don't want that," he said.

Florida's governor had mandated a 14-day self-quarantine or isolation period for travelers coming to Florida from airports in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. According to media reports, wealthy New Yorkers have fled Manhattan for vacation homes in the Hamptons, the Catskills, the Poconos, Florida and Connecticut.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately as was stated in the article I posted yesterday - most New Yorkers who want to be in Florida are already here. There was a large influx when New York was locked down initially - but now it's slowed down to a trickle (based on commercial flights). So IMO while a quarantine might help a bit - it would probably be coming too late to be very effective...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 03:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,701,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
Trump says he's considering short-term quarantine of parts of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut
\
Unfortunately as was stated in the article I posted yesterday - most New Yorkers who want to be in Florida are already here. There was a large influx when New York was locked down initially - but now it's slowed down to a trickle (based on commercial flights). So IMO while a quarantine might help a bit - it would probably be coming too late to be very effective...
Realistically, he needs to lock down Florida. You have to be ahead of these things, not behind. Florida is just ramping up testing and cases and Floridians DEFINITELY travel all over the country and world...especially starting now (going back up north, escaping heat, etc.).

Disease doesn't listen to PR. NY, according to Fauci and others, MAY actually be on the downslope (as bad as things are), while many other areas are just getting started.

The key is to stop it when the numbers are low.....

It's as if Trump doesn't know there are dozens of flights from Philly, Allentown, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and many other airports.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:35 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,759,014 times
If there are any constitutional experts out there, I’d like to know if the federal government has the authority to restrict interstate or intrastate movement. I can see how there would be authority for controlling movement of aircraft, trains, and maybe cars on interstate highways but can they actually stop someone from traveling otherwise?

Old 03-28-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
CDC to recommend all Americans wear protective masks in everyday life: report
https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen

On Saturday, Weill Cornell’s Dr. Matt McCarthy reported that the Centers for Disease Control will revise their recommendations on protective masks.

In the next ten days, the CDC guidelines will reportedly change to advising Americans to wear masks “in everyday life.” This contrasts with the current guidelines, which only recommend masks for high-risk groups like health care workers.
You missed the part of the story where CDC denied the claim. It’s right in the story you linked.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
If there are any constitutional experts out there, I’d like to know if the federal government has the authority to restrict interstate or intrastate movement. I can see how there would be authority for controlling movement of aircraft, trains, and maybe cars on interstate highways but can they actually stop someone from traveling otherwise?
Cuomo on possible New York quarantine: 'I don't think it's legal' and it would be a 'federal declaration of war'

Video interview here:
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Washington, DC(CNN) New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Saturday in an interview with CNN that he didn't believe a possible New York quarantine was legal and that it would be a "federal declaration of war" after President Donald Trump said he was considering such a tactic for the New York metro area.

"It would be chaos and mayhem," Cuomo told CNN. "It's totally opposite everything he's been saying. I don't think it is plausible. I don't think it is legal."

"As a governor, I'm not going to close off my borders," Cuomo told CNN's Ana Cabrera.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
You missed the part of the story where CDC denied the claim. It’s right in the story you linked.
Thanks. Here's the update with the denial by the CDC:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.raw...fe-report/amp/

So IMO the reason they are not advising it is because currently there is a mask shortage. It would probably still be a good idea for people to make a homemade mask. Of course a homemade mask is not as effective as the real thing - but experts say that they're better than nothing.

Last edited by wondermint2; 03-28-2020 at 05:14 PM..

Old 03-28-2020, 05:21 PM

I have some N95 masks that I bought a couple of years ago for a hurricane kit. I offered them to our local hospital but they can only take unopened ones for obvious reasons. I’d wear them at the grocery store if the CDC would suggest it but, for now, I’d feel like a pariah. In very short order, we will be swimming in masks, though, so maybe it will change.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:12 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,152,767 times
I hope everyone of you watched our governor ~ so afraid....

Old 03-28-2020, 08:37 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,701,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I hope everyone of you watched our governor ~ so afraid....
A small man. Empty. Sad.

But on the other end, Trump is sending him more supplies than elsewhere.

BUT, on another hand, DeSantis is wasting many of them on testing people with no symptoms in the Villages, etc. because they vote for him and Trump.

Another guy who doesn't take responsibility. Fair Weather Friend.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:16 AM

25,875 posts, read 12,918,172 times
Quote:
I have some N95 masks that I bought a couple of years ago for a hurricane kit. I offered them to our local hospital but they can only take unopened ones for obvious reasons. I’d wear them at the grocery store if the CDC would suggest it but, for now, I’d feel like a pariah. In very short order, we will be swimming in masks, though, so maybe it will change.
I've gone out once in 13 days, for 10 minutes just before the store closed.

I wore gloves, mask, safety goggles, hat, long pants and long sleeve shirt. I got some strange looks, and even the cashier commented "you shouldn't be wearing a mask unless you are sick you know". I said "I'm not sick now, and I intend upon staying that way". End of conversation.

Wearing masks early on was frowned upon because the healthcare industry needed every mask available. Mine came from an opened package, so I knew Venice Hospital wouldn't take them.

Then a few days later, they said if you have masks wear them. I guess at that point, the healthcare industry shortage was gone.

I may go out today, and if so, I'll "mummy-up" again. I hope I don't scare anyone.

I only have a few masks, so I need to start re-using them. Does anyone know what % of bleach I should use in the water for misting the outside of the masks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area