Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 11:17 AM

8,025 posts, read 4,631,899 times

Advertisements

Coronavirus Florida: Manatee extends state of emergency, closes skate parks and tennis courts
https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...-tennis-courts

Manatee County’s local state of emergency will last at least another seven days until April 7, the county announced Monday. County tennis courts, pickle ball courts and skate parks were also closed to enforce social distancing guidelines.

The county’s tennis courts and pickleball courts were temporarily closed started Tuesday since crowds continue to gather without practicing social distancing as was recommended by Gov. Ron DeSantis in Executive Order 20-83 and by the Florida Department of Health Office of the Surgeon General. Areas that cannot be closed will be monitored by safety guards and law enforcement agencies, according to a news release issued by Manatee County.

The city of Bradenton also temporarily closed its Riverwalk Skate Park Monday afternoon and posted closed signs on skate parks at G.T. Bray and Blackstone parks.

Some other temporary changes to the community came in the form of an executive order issued by DeSantis on Friday, which suspended vacation rentals for two weeks.

The order mandates that no vacation rental allow check-ins after March 28 which are for a period of less than 30 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 11:58 AM

Coronavirus could travel 27 feet, stay in air for hours: MIT researcher
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

Social-distancing guidelines to stay 6 feet from others may be woefully inadequate, one scientist warns — saying the coronavirus can travel 27 feet and linger for hours.

MIT associate professor Lydia Bourouiba, who has researched the dynamics of coughs and sneezes for years, warns in newly published research that the current guidelines are based on outdated models from the 1930s.

Rather than the assumed safety of 6 feet, Bourouiba warns that “pathogen-bearing droplets of all sizes can travel 23 to 27 feet.”

“There’s an urgency in revising the guidelines currently being given by the [World Health Organization] and the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] on the needs for protective equipment, particularly for the frontline health care workers,” Bourouiba told USA Today.

The World Health Organization — which suggests 3 feet is enough to remain safe — told USA Today it “welcomed” studies.

“WHO carefully monitors emerging evidence about this critical topic and will update this scientific brief as more information becomes available,” WHO said in a statement to the paper.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:42 AM

91 posts, read 76,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I love how DeSantis is blocking off I-10 (New Orleans) & I-95 (New York) to pass out Florida advisories, and cruise ships from porting here carrying foreigners. While the 2 week self quarantine mandate on arriving flights isunenforecable, at least he's trying. I give him a "B" so far, the Spring Break being his only Black mark.
beach43ofus, do you have to insert political comments into every thread? My God, we're in a health crisis where many people are going to die, and you're trying to score political points for your favorite politician.

Old 04-01-2020, 12:46 PM

Big News:

Coronavirus Florida: DeSantis orders stay-at-home for entire state:
https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...r-entire-state

The order will be for 30 days and take effect tomorrow.

After more than a week of resisting the idea, Gov. Ron DeSantis reversed course Wednesday and ordered a statewide lockdown that prohibits Floridians from leaving home except to obtain or provide essential services and activities.

The order - which goes into effect on Friday, April 3 at 12:01 a.m. - defines essential activities as caring for a loved one or friend, religious services, recreational activities such as walking, biking or fishing and taking care of pets.

Essential services include healthcare providers, grocery stores, gas stations, banks, hardware stores, restaurants that serve takeout food, childcare, landscape and pool care, pet supply stores, critical infrastructure jobs and a range of other businesses.

The order means a host of people who work at businesses not deemed essential must stay home, essentially closing down those businesses unless they can operate remotely.

“We’re going to be in this for another 30 days,” DeSantis said. “That’s just the reality we’re in.”

Old 04-01-2020, 01:07 PM

Excellent article.

Bill Gates: Here’s how to make up for lost time on covid-19
https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

"There’s no question the United States missed the opportunity to get ahead of the novel coronavirus. But the window for making important decisions hasn’t closed. The choices we and our leaders make now will have an enormous impact on how soon case numbers start to go down, how long the economy remains shut down and how many Americans will have to bury a loved one because of covid-19.

Through my work with the Gates Foundation, I’ve spoken with experts and leaders in Washington and across the country. It’s become clear to me that we must take three steps."

Old 04-01-2020, 01:24 PM

562 posts, read 549,805 times
Any clue if new home construction stops? It did not in my state, they are still working; but states all seem to be different rules. I have a house under construction in LWR.

This goes back to #1 on your Bill Gates link

Old 04-01-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshan View Post
Any clue if new home construction stops? It did not in my state, they are still working; but states all seem to be different rules. I have a house under construction in LWR.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer yet. Seems as though each state has their own guidelines as to what they term an "essential business". And then on top of that some construction companies close voluntarily because of the coronavirus (even though it's not mandated).

However I did come across the PDF file of Governor DeSantis decree about closing Florida for 30 days - and it does go into great detail about what is considered an "essential business" in Florida. You can view the PDF file here:

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link...f-42f50da5b615

If you scroll way down to section 20 - it's called "Residential/Shelter Facilities And Services". Then from within that section is does indicate that workers supporting the construction of housing are deemed essential.

So my hunch is that housing construction is deemed essential and won't be forced to be closed down.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:56 PM

Thank you wonder, appreciate the info. I will just have to wait and see, but I fully expect a delayed closing. I have not even listed my current house yet as the last 2 times I had to short term rent as my house sold too fast!

Old 04-01-2020, 08:14 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshan View Post

Here's a link to the actual order from our governor:
https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/upl...0/EO_20-91.pdf

Under essential services they refer to the Dept of Homeland Security's definition, among other things.

On the DHS website under definition of essential services you find this:

Workers performing housing construction related activities to ensure additional units can be made available to combat the nation’s existing housing supply shortage.

and

Workers supporting the construction of housing, including those supporting government functions related to the building and development process, such as inspections, permitting and plan review services that can be modified to protect the public health, but fundamentally should continue and serve the construction of housing (e.g., allow qualified private third-party inspections in case of government shutdown).

Old 04-02-2020, 07:24 AM

Thank you also for the reply Sunshine. If people around there see anything different, or hear of Lennar suspending anything in or around LWR please update if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area