Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 21,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Good question! I suggest you contact Larry Kelleher, editor@floridahistoryalive.com or 941-951-7727. If anyone would know it would be him. He is probably the most knowledgeable person on Sarasota history, that is still living.
Thank you. I sent Larry a note and received a prompt response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:09 PM

164 posts, read 356,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsinger View Post
Thank you. I sent Larry a note and received a prompt response.
So did you find out the name of the place? I've been going nuts trying to remember what it was!

I remember during the mid to late 80's that it was an abandoned, dilapidated property and it was creepy walking past there at night. Didn't it have a Polynesian-type name?

Lido Beach has sure changed since the first of my annual trips in 1985. Lido Beach Inn, Three Crowns, Azure Tides, and Half Moon Beach Club have all been torn down, and St. Armands Inn has morphed into Lido Beach Resort.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 AM

Based on Larry's research in an old city listing it looks like it was the Landmark Hotel. Strange thing is that there is not much I can find on the Internet about the Landmark, other than a mention in the history of New College in Sarasota where students used to be housed there and bused to school.

Here is a link to a related postcard. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FL121-Landma...-/280628909920

The address of the current building there (l'elegance condos' is 1800 Ben Franklin). The Landmark hotel was as I recall 1859 Ben Franklin; according to Larry.

Last edited by jimsinger; 12-12-2011 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: additional

Old 12-12-2011, 08:37 PM

181 posts, read 509,126 times
Wow, these are amazing. Thanks for compiling and posting them!

Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Correction - The Landmark Hotel address was 1854 Ben Franklin; per Larry.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,854 times
Great pictures! My family vacationed every year at the Gulf Terrace Motel on Anna Maria Island near the Cortez Bridge in the late 60's. Does anyone remember this place or have any old photos of the area.
Thanks.
Ben

Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben McC View Post
Great pictures! My family vacationed every year at the Gulf Terrace Motel on Anna Maria Island near the Cortez Bridge in the late 60's. Does anyone remember this place or have any old photos of the area.
Thanks.
Ben
My father started the Islander Newspaper on Anna Maria back in the 60's and he has pictures of just about every old building, event or what ever in that time period--up until the 1980's when he sold the paper. He later returned in the 1990's and started The Island Sun Newspaper (Anna Maria's other paper).

Two of my dads former employees-Caroline Norwood and Pat Copeland stated the Anna Maria Island Historical Society in 1990 and from what I've been told they have most of the old copies of the Islander Newspaper as well as many other artifacts from that era. The Museum is free and is open Tues-Sat: Anna Maria island Historical Society and Museum

Old 12-30-2011, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 9,854 times
Thanks for the reply. I have been in touch with the AMIHS but haven't gone to the museum yet. We visit AMI at least once a year for a two week vacation and plan to visit more when I retire. We have made several friends at the resort, City pier and John Dewey who plays at the BeachHouse along with its sister restaurants. I'm pretty sure I have found where the motel used to be but there are new condos there now just south of the BeachHouse.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:59 PM

15 posts, read 53,780 times
I love the old pictures of Sarasota/Bradenton before the heavy developing...especially where you can still see the sand on the barrier islands with a few dots of little homes here and there! Thanks so much...

Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,452 times
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone remembers the name of the hotel in the late 60's that was located at the end of Ben Franklin Drive on Lido Key next to the park. Our Family vacationed there a few times when I was a child and have fond memories of the place. A few things I remember were the units were setup as efficiencies and the facility had a coffee shop which was open for breakfast and lunch.
Is it still around? [FONT=Times New Roman
Thanks
Peter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area