Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 09:08 AM

14 posts, read 30,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
The Pretzel King was awesome and dearly missed. He'd wear green tights and the medieval dress in the dead of summer. He sold pretzels and pickles and pushed around the shopping cart with the red wood sides fashioned in the shape of a horse. I loved the clip on pickle earrings.

Definitely a Sarasota classic!
I haven't thought about him in forever! I used to be scared of him and think he looked really interesting at the same time, this being when I was like 7 years old. Oh and his pretzels were horrible and stale! But he still ruled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 AM

360 posts, read 1,909,182 times
I love all your area history in pictures SoFLGal and all the interesting people who lived here. It enriches us ones who came from someplace else growing up what this place was once like. The Pretzel King seemed like one interesting character. Keep these photos coming for all to enjoy

Old 07-10-2011, 06:21 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I think I saw a post asking about a Western Auto in Sarasota.
There was a store on the s/e corner of 301 and 17 St
For some reason I just don't remember the store.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FringedNFab View Post
I love all your area history in pictures SoFLGal and all the interesting people who lived here. It enriches us ones who came from someplace else growing up what this place was once like. The Pretzel King seemed like one interesting character. Keep these photos coming for all to enjoy

Thanks Fringed! Like I said before, some are mine and some belong to others but there a great collection of pictures, none the less.

The Pretzel King was a hoot! He would yell at the top of his lungs, "The Pretzel King is Here". It seemed like he was always old but he did this for years and years. He was at every Medieval Fair and other festivals.

I guess he did well. I certainly wouldn't put on green tights in the dead of summer is I wasn't making pretty good money!

Old 07-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narwhals View Post
I haven't thought about him in forever! I used to be scared of him and think he looked really interesting at the same time, this being when I was like 7 years old. Oh and his pretzels were horrible and stale! But he still ruled.
He was a bit scary but he totally rocked! There's nothing like The Pretzel King

Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 PM

The Doll family with other circus types fishing off the old John Ringling Bridge.Check out the boxes for them to stand on and the attire.

Florida Theater-Saturday mornings you could get in with RC bottlecaps.

This building is a later incarnation of The Inn, Sarasota Hotel was built on the site. Many people don't know that the intersection of Main and Palm also had a drinking fountain for animals.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess.ess.ess.esq. View Post
hi
does anyone remember a Western Auto Store in or near downtown Sarasota in 1960?

I was there on my only visit to your town, then a sleepy village. The store owner went to Canton McKinley High with my mother, and we visited in 1960 by taking the train from Cleveland to Orlando, then drove a rented 1960 Ford to Sarasota...car had no heater, a surprise to an Ohioan during a chilly Florida spring!
I'm a bit confused...you have only visited FL one time in the 1960's and you have all these views of the town, weather, people, etc???

Did you actually say it was CHILLY in the spring? Are you really talking about the same FL?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/20673278-post23.html So on this thread you state it's "unrelenting heat and sunshine" and then you say it was actually "chilly" in spring. I think May might be in the spring-right?

For those who ENJOY month after month after month of unrelenting humidity and heat and sunshine, with the glare of that intense sunlight, more power to you!

visit in May and September and see what you think....don't just listen to real estate agents who....surprise!....have a financial interest in telling folks that FLA is a "year around paradise."

On a personal note, I do agree that it is very hot here in the summer but it's also hot in most other states in the summer. I spent some time in NYC this summer and I can tell you it was much hotter there then it was in FL.

Like Rushmore pointed out, if someone comes on here and posts many, many posts that basically say the same thing, people get tired of hearing it-whether the posts are good or bad.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:46 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,743 times
Wow, good catch SFG.. why people come on here & do these things is beyond me

Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 AM

4 posts, read 21,329 times
Default Lido Beach History

Hello - interested in LIDO Beach history; including the south LIDO area (south of Helmsley). I have found that the Azures and Three Crown hotels sat where the Ritz Beach Residences now stand. I also found that the Half Moon hotel sat where the Orchid condos now is located.
Anyone know what stood on the site where L''ELEGANCE CONDOS now stand (1800 Ben Franklin). In old pictures it looks like there was a high rise there.

Thanks in advance for any tidbits on the history of LIDO.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:56 AM

Good question! I suggest you contact Larry Kelleher, editor@floridahistoryalive.com or 941-951-7727. If anyone would know it would be him. He is probably the most knowledgeable person on Sarasota history, that is still living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area