Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,762,519 times

Advertisements

Have you considered putting together a book of these photos? I think it could be saleable if the price is reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:09 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,106,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Have you considered putting together a book of these photos? I think it could be saleable if the price is reasonable.
That is a great idea, or maybe a CD, or even better those picture frames that you can load with photos, and they scroll through them. You could load pictures on them, and your entreprenuer Willow could sell them! Awesome idea BB!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:26 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,949,166 times
That's actually not a bad idea! Like I said they don't all belong to me. I'm going to contact Larry and Rex and see what their thoughts are.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:27 AM

493 posts, read 1,388,164 times
Default Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Truth be told they aren't all my pictures. Many of them are but not all. There are some old timers who deserve credit for many of these-Larry Kelleher, Gary Morgan, Rex Carr, Dan Byrd, Steve Lake, Troy Syprett, Gordon Galbraith and a few others. Together we have a pretty awesome collection of old photos of the area!

I'm an old picture fanatic. My parents, grand parents and great grandparents took a lot of pictures when we were kids. We probably have over 100 albums of the Sarasota area. I find more and more pictures as I look through them

You know, just like BH said, you are amazing, with all you do, and this just speaks volumes about the dedication to detail you show in everything you do!!!

Love the pictures, do you have anything from the sixties on Weeki-Wachee? I know it is out of your area geographically speaking but I went there before disney built in Orlando and thought it was great. Also went to Busch Gardens as I remember in the late sixties as well.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:29 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,106,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
That's actually not a bad idea! Like I said they don't all belong to me. I'm going to contact Larry and Rex and see what their thoughts are.
I bet there are a lot of places that would love to sell them all over SWFL! And, I know that Willow will attack the idea! :-)

Old 05-25-2011, 06:57 AM

Here's one Busch Gardens shot from the 70's but it's not very good. I do have some other Busch gardens shots and Weeki Watchee pics from the 60's over at my mom's in some albums.

I also have a shot of my brother on the cover of LIFE magazine at Disney world. He was the first kid in Disney. We went with the press the day before it was open to the public. It was Sept 30th, 1971. My mom was pregnant with me in the picture.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,004,292 times
What year did men start wearing shorts instead of 9-5 attire to fish off the pier???!!! LOL!

Old 05-25-2011, 11:28 AM

Here's Disney in 1974. My brother is the little boy and I'm the little one in front of the bear.

This picture was on the cover of Life Magazine in Oct 1971. It was actually taken the day before Disney opened to the public. Sept 30th, 1971.

This is my mom and my brother at Disney. Also taken the day before it opened to the public. Note the lack of people in the park.

Here's my mom, my brother and me at Sea World in 1974.

Me at Adventure Island in the early 80's

Adventure Island again

Epcot. My 11th birthday, my brother, and my two best friends Ruth and Meghan. I'm on the end. We're holding up 11 fingers

This picture was taken when I lived on Little Gasparilla Island. You could only get to and from the island by boat. It must have been "take the animals to the vet day". I have the four dogs with me and my brother is holding the cat.

Here's me and my little Boston Whaler. I loved that boat.

Here's me getting ready to cross the water in the morning before school. Once I turned 13 I decided I wanted my hair to look good at school so I would either wear a shower cap on my head so my hair didn't get messed up or I would wear curlers and a five gallon bucket over my head. Then I'd take them out once we reached the marina on the other side.

Whenever it was foggy out the kids and teachers would always know that I would be late to school. My father would refuse to use a compass and we'd always end up in Timbuktu. It was the standing joke at school.

Here's my second grade class picture from Englewood Elementary. I'm in the second row and second from the right. With the spiffy red and white dress with cherries on it.

Here's a picture back in the early 90's when I lived out on Longboat Key. It's Coral with our pot belly pig named Truffles. This thing used to get outside and neighbors would call the police. I swear we'd be in the police blotter on a weekly basis with the pig escaping. It was the most exciting thing going on on the island in years.

Still looking for the Weeki Watchee and early Busch Gardens pics....

Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,906,005 times
I think you could do an amazing book with all these great pictures and I love your anecdotes. You could even do something about growing up in FL. There's a series of books that have then and now pictures of different cities that are really fun to look at, but I love hearing the back stories of the pictures that you add!

Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 AM

14 posts, read 33,289 times
Quote: My father would refuse to use a compass and we'd always end up in Timbuktu. It was the standing joke at school.

HILARIOUS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area