Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:44 AM

30,920 posts, read 37,092,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Yeah. San Jose is incredibly dull when it comes to social vitality and human interaction. I even heard it has like a 2-1 male to female ratio. Not only is it lame, its apparently a sausage-fest over there.
I'm gay and it's not the sausage fest I'd llike it to be

Leave it to BayDude to make extreme statements.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:10 AM

943 posts, read 1,324,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
Yeah. San Jose is incredibly dull when it comes to social vitality and human interaction. I even heard it has like a 2-1 male to female ratio. Not only is it lame, its apparently a sausage-fest over there.
I met my wife here (well, technically, it was in Fremont), so it can't be that bad.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:48 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,058,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I think San Jose sucks.

Sure it's clean, safe, and expensive, but it's incredibly dull and vapid.

I know I'll enrage a lot of South Bayers by saying this, but I don't even really consider it to be a part of the Bay Area. I'd honestly rather live in Sacramento.

Well, last time I checked Alviso was a part of San Jose and last time I checked it touched the SF Bay. I'm not a geography expert, but I'm pretty sure that would make it part of the Bay Area.

It's funny how many people I knew growing in the South Bay who would never even drive through Oakland because they thought it was a crime-ridden cespool. I've been to many very nice parts of Oakland...wife and I even took our engagement pics at Joaquin Miller park in the hills, so I know it's not true. I guess the ignorance between Oakland and SJ goes both ways though.

For the record, I like Sac too, but there honestly is more going on in downtown SJ more of the time then there is in downtown Sac.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 AM

148 posts, read 572,609 times
I like Oakland.It's a lot better than that dump San Francisco.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:59 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,380,337 times
I like North Oakland and Midtown Sac mostly because they are quite similar to where I live in San Jose. It's a California brand of city that you'd also find down south.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,309,560 times
Quote:
For the record, I like Sac too, but there honestly is more going on in downtown SJ more of the time then there is in downtown Sac.
That really isn't saying much.

There are plenty of reasons people like SJ. I never said it was terrible place, I just think when you stack it up against SF and the urban East Bay, I wonder why people would prefer to live there- unless they like suburban sprawl. I dislike SJ for the same reasons I dislike Walnut Creek and the Tri-Valley, so it's not like I'm just hating on the place for no reason.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:31 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,198,635 times
I like San Jose. I prefer it over San Francisco anyday. I found the people there to be much nicer and laid back. I am also not a stuck up snob and prefer car centric cities. I don't care about art galleries or musicals or any of that kind of "cultural" stuff so it fits me fine. Whenever I go to the Bay, I avoid San Francisco and Oakland at all costs.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 PM

30,920 posts, read 37,092,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
That really isn't saying much.

There are plenty of reasons people like SJ. I never said it was terrible place, I just think when you stack it up against SF and the urban East Bay, I wonder why people would prefer to live there- unless they like suburban sprawl. I dislike SJ for the same reasons I dislike Walnut Creek and the Tri-Valley, so it's not like I'm just hating on the place for no reason.
People live here because it's where their jobs are, their family is, etc...all the usual reasons.

I agree with you on the sprawl thing.

But downtown SJ and adjacent neighborhoods have been improved in recent years (new, urban style, condos, apartments, townhouses) and are more appealing than in the recent past. Yes, SJ is still sprawly, but parts of the city are beginning to offer a viable urban lifestyle, although no, it's not on par with Oakland or SF. But, as others have said, it is also safer, cleaner, & warmer (without being too hot) than those cities....so it's worth the trade off for some.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:17 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,380,337 times
Comparing San Jose to Walnut Creek shows a severe lack of first-hand knowledge.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 PM

6,421 posts, read 8,309,560 times
Why?

I'm not going to argue about this anymore. Anyone who's ever been to Santa Row on a Saturday night knows exactly what I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose