Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,724 times

Advertisements

I'm a 22 year old college student from Cleveland, Ohio, but I lived in Buffalo New York for 4 years now and it reminds me of Cleveland... The atmosphere sucks, there is completely nothing to do here, and I've been feeling miserable since I've been here... I would love to change my lifestyle and see what living near the water is like. My question is, Would going to college and resettling in San Diego be a good idea for me? Are the people nice? Is it a good place to live for a college student? (I'm an African American male if that matters). I would love to learn how to surf and I heard the food was good there and other things, but I need more feedback. Please give me your honest opinions. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,930,071 times
Get a job first then move.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,592,035 times
most people are going to tell you to get a job first (which isn't bad advice) but without a local address that is easier said than done.

do you have savings or better yet, someone to stay with for a few months when you first move out?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,507,365 times
I feel for you! Cleveland and Buffalo... I can see why you'd want the SD lifestyle! Problem being...so does everyone else. So.....have a job lined up and a place to crash before you make your final move. This place is gorgeous, but every bit as expensive as you've heard.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:14 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,318,899 times
To answer your question YES. Considering you are from the cold east, San Diego will feel like paradise. The people are kind of laid back and there is nice balmy breezes out on Coronado Island. One more thing that is a plus is that you can take day trips down to Ensenada Mexico and party. I do not think being AA maters that much because there is a sizable population of blacks in the military in San Diego. I think you will most likely have a great time. Be careful though, sometimes people will give you looks in Socal because they can tell you are an easterner. If you keep cool and smile and mind your business you will be fine. At your age you should be having as much fun as possible!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM

98 posts, read 216,609 times
Im moving to San Diego soon as well. I cant wait. After visiting every year since I was like 3, I decided it was a good idea.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 AM

64 posts, read 107,750 times
Im thinking about the same thing. Just made a post actually, when are you thinking about moving there?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM

15,138 posts, read 32,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Get a job first then move.
Good idea!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,407,436 times
Well, I think some very obvious questions would be how many credits short are you of getting your degree there in Buffalo? You mention you've been there 4 years now. I'd have to imagine you are close to finishing your degree??? What is your field of study (major)? Again, an obvious question is would you lose any time transferring to a college in San Diego?

Another question to look at is are you prepared for what it might cost to attend one of the local colleges paying out of state tuition? I guess those things would need to be determined by you first.

If you are very close to finishing your degree it doesn't make sense moving if you are going to lose time or it's going to cost an arm and a leg.

Everyone these days seems like they all want it all NOW. My advice would be to finish your degree there first if you are very close to getting your degree. Last time I checked, you can learn how to surf and eat great food after you finish your degree.

Have you even been to San Diego before?? It doesn't sound like it from your posts. You can see from the other posters that everyone and their brother/sister/aunt/uncle wants to move to San Diego. The job market here is pretty bad unless you are in one of a few specialized fields. Salaries are lower with the "sunshine tax" and the cost of living is high with rents being expensive as well as buying a place.

Before you even think about jobs, I'd think about the questions I asked above. Personally, unless you have significant savings, I wouldn't move out to San Diego without a job. If you do have significant savings, that will help you as it could take several/many months to line up a job. And even then it might be a mediocre job that pays pretty low compared to other places.

Don't get me wrong. San Diego is paradise if you can afford it. The problem is many people coming can't and have no real game plan. They will tell you how they think it's a "good idea" to move to San Diego. In many cases it doesn't turn out well for them. Not to say that you shouldn't move out. But you really have to see how the cost of living, job market and economy is here.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:03 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,084,144 times
Default definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayclegatt View Post
I'm a 22 year old college student from Cleveland, Ohio, but I lived in Buffalo New York for 4 years now and it reminds me of Cleveland... The atmosphere sucks, there is completely nothing to do here, and I've been feeling miserable since I've been here... I would love to change my lifestyle and see what living near the water is like. My question is, Would going to college and resettling in San Diego be a good idea for me? Are the people nice? Is it a good place to live for a college student? (I'm an African American male if that matters). I would love to learn how to surf and I heard the food was good there and other things, but I need more feedback. Please give me your honest opinions. Thanks
Practical matters not withstanding, definitely consider it! It sounds like a great match for you at this time....and def. know that there are many more options beyond cleveland and buffalo, for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego