Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:38 PM

133 posts, read 183,557 times

Advertisements

Personal view - probably not the best city to go to college in or try to ramp up your career in. Would be a great place to transfer to after your profession has been established and you can transfer there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 PM

35 posts, read 70,340 times
I grew up in San Diego and recently moved to Colorado. For me, I like Colorado better. I like the outdoors and the less dense population. You can smell pine trees when you go hiking instead of smog. The cost of living is way lower. Gas is over a dollar lower and rent is half that of San Diego. I personally like having snow and four seasons. However, some people like it being warm year round. Yes, I do miss the food. In-n-Out, hodads, phils bbq, mexican food are some of the places. I think the main thing it comes down to is as others have said, cost. San Diego is expensive. Seems like jobs don't pay much, rent is high, taxes are high and gas is high.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM

51 posts, read 77,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCA View Post
I grew up in San Diego and recently moved to Colorado. For me, I like Colorado better. I like the outdoors and the less dense population. You can smell pine trees when you go hiking instead of smog. The cost of living is way lower. Gas is over a dollar lower and rent is half that of San Diego. I personally like having snow and four seasons. However, some people like it being warm year round. Yes, I do miss the food. In-n-Out, hodads, phils bbq, mexican food are some of the places. I think the main thing it comes down to is as others have said, cost. San Diego is expensive. Seems like jobs don't pay much, rent is high, taxes are high and gas is high.
I agree with you about Colorado, it's just finding a good job that's the problem there. Surprisingly, I have more well-paying job opportunities in San Diego than in Colorado.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 PM

21 posts, read 35,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCA View Post
If you're ever in the downtown Denver area, check out Benny's, they have the best Mexican food (imo). As a native of Colorado, I've tried a lot of Mexican restaurants, and have yet to find better. I'll miss Benny's when I move to SD in a couple of months. :/

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Old 02-18-2013, 08:13 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,400,056 times
Hopefully the OP comes back and answers a few of the questions. So many people want to move here but few think it through completely.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:12 PM

25 posts, read 60,759 times
next year im moving to San Diego, hope its worth moving

Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 PM

19 posts, read 64,223 times
To answer your question...YES. UNQUESTIONABLY YES!!! But now for reality. You should probably have a decent amount of savings for 1-2 months. Getting a job can be tricky due to the sheer number of young people that move here in their 20's. Finding a room to rent from somebody who either owns a home, or has their name on the lease is good start, because you will not need to show proof of employment.
But these are standard obstacles in almost every city. The issue with San Diego is that employment can be extremely competitive due to the sheer number of young applicants, and the coastal rents are absurdly expensive. I suggest moving inland a bit (10-12 miles) for lower rents.
But honestly...I moved here 11 years ago and will never leave. I spent my late 20's and my 30's here and I can positively say that San Diego is the greatest location in America. It is expensive, and has a draw back or two...but it is simply amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego