Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 01:43 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,186 times

Advertisements

If i read these forums on California, my friend I would definently be afraid to move to San Diego, but thankfully I live here and know the truth from my perspective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 02:42 AM

5 posts, read 26,121 times
Has crime actually gotten worse in the last ten years since I lived there? When I lived in San Diego it was understood that the worst neighborhoods were in Southeast San Diego and the downtown area. I lived in Tierrasanta and for the most part always felt safe. I'd love to move back if I could afford it!

Old 01-12-2007, 04:28 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
NO, its not bad at all. I lived in Carmel Valley which is a mile or 2 from Del Mar in a super cute area, nice upscale condo complex, there are lots of young moms pushing strollers on a saturday afternoon. I've been around the usa a lot, ny, fla, vegas, etc and this is a nice area.

Del Mar solana beach area is nicer than any place you've probably been in LA as far as 'nice area' goes.

Rent in Carmel Valley, Solana beach or Encinitas...del mar is a little pricey. Carlsbad is nice too for rentals, you'd only be about 10 mins from del mar.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 PM

76 posts, read 243,188 times
Default Want to relocate

I am a mid-late thirties married man, father of two very young boys and I'm strongly considering relocating to San Diego from central Jersey. Been an East Coaster all my life but have always been drawn to California. I work in telecom sales and make a decent living but the weather is a real bummer, especially with two small kids. My wife and I just count days until it's warm enough to play outside and especially hit the beach, for three months. Then it's back inside or hit the malls (not a good option). Is San Diego a good choice? After doing some initial research it looked like there were great neighborhoods like Hillcrest, Normal Heights, North Park (we love to walk, love main street type street life, parks) but there was a surprising large amount of negativity I've spotted on this forum. I'd love some honest input from the forum, especially regarding life for a family, cost of living, neighborhoods.

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2007, 08:24 PM

59 posts, read 649,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired of being inside View Post
I am a mid-late thirties married man, father of two very young boys and I'm strongly considering relocating to San Diego from central Jersey. Been an East Coaster all my life but have always been drawn to California. I work in telecom sales and make a decent living but the weather is a real bummer, especially with two small kids. My wife and I just count days until it's warm enough to play outside and especially hit the beach, for three months. Then it's back inside or hit the malls (not a good option). Is San Diego a good choice? After doing some initial research it looked like there were great neighborhoods like Hillcrest, Normal Heights, North Park (we love to walk, love main street type street life, parks) but there was a surprising large amount of negativity I've spotted on this forum. I'd love some honest input from the forum, especially regarding life for a family, cost of living, neighborhoods.

Thanks!
Your absolutly right about all of the negativity on this forum about San Diego. Most forums you're going to hear complaining more than praise. It's an outlet to get things off your chest. I've lived in San Diego for many years now, moved from the east coast myself. I can tell you that San Diego is not all that different in crime traffic or problems that I've seen in other cities around this country...I also travel quite a lot for work so I get to see other cities. San Diego is quite tame to others I've seen and love it here.

Anyways, back to your post...I would recommend North County as oppose to Hillcrest, Normal Heights, North Park. Get neighborhoods but not for bringing up your young boys and has some rougher areas. I recommend you look at Poway, Carmel Mountain, Rancho Bernardo. This area "has" the best school district in San Diego, lots of shopping and restaurants, movie theaters and is extremely family oriented. Housing is a bit high but not the highest as the closer you get to the coast prices will go up. Lot's will recommend the Carlsbad area which is also nice but more expensive. This area is also mid I-15 so depending on where you work you wont hit the traffic issues around the highway 78 and I-15 interchange or the Escondido mess. Need to go to the beach, take the 56 and in 20 minutes your there, downtown depending on traffic 25 to 30 min. not bad in California terms.

Good Luck to you,

Old 02-08-2007, 01:15 PM

30 posts, read 294,714 times
Default scared

Equity consider yourself lucky if your going to live in solana beach/Del mar those are just about the safest and nicest places to live in san diego.
I was born and raised there ,I know.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:26 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,892 times
San Diego is ranked 59 of all major cities in America- with numerous smaller cities having higher crime rates. The poway comment is absolutely absurd- borderline insane. Poway is arguably one of the safest burbs I've ever been too. Very quiet and safe. Solano beach and similar spots may have some petty crime, but they are very safe too. Avoid the barrios and you will be fine. San Diego is a SAFE big city.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,885 times
I came from Ireland to Philly 20 years ago and I am moving to SanDiego next year. I have ,after reading all these messages decided that I can't wait to go . You have some people in this world whohave not been exposed to much and have been sheltered all of their lives.In Philly we have crime 420 murders in the last 14 months . When you look out your window all you can see is the building across the way . San Diego has mountains and ocean and a wondefully diverse community .I LOVE IT! I just hope that I don't have to deal with such a paranoid racist bunch of people like those I am seeing here. I am so excited about being so close to another country ,Mexico. Great scenes, magic weather , ocean .God ,you guys don't realize how LUCKY you are . I have to say I'm kind of partial to a nice genuine smile of a Latina instead of the fake shallow superficial people who are so scared of anything that's foreign Jesus Christ! Be appreciateive. Anyway , thanks to all of you you can see the positive still. By the way where can I make the most money there as a painting contractor /handyman. Wwhat kind of hourly rates can I charge . Oh ya , are there any mexicans who have a good work ethic who would like to work for me. I will pay you top dollar . You guys are the best workers here in Philly ,respectful dependable ,just great workers. Adios

Old 02-20-2007, 08:24 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserter View Post
I wish I'd said that. I was getting a little creeped out by how Anti-Mexican so many people on the LA board and even on the Oregon board are. After all, Spanish was CA's first European language and CA was part of New Spain before it was part of the US. Hmmm...maybe I should move to San Diego.
It is not anti-Mexican..for the most part what I see is anti-illegal immigration talk.
And the vast majority of illegals are of Mexican heritage, that has NOTHING at all to do with the early history of this state, which as you stated, after most of the Natives were killed, European.

MBG

Old 05-08-2007, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,542 times
What areas would be good for a family with small kids? Thinking of renting. Moving from a rural, very low crime, artsy, area in foothills of Northern Cal. Family oriented area with Waldorf Charter School and hospital (wife is RN) would be ideal. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego