Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 12:53 PM

82 posts, read 390,833 times

Advertisements

Hey All I'm living downtown San Diego and have to move do to my building going into foreclosure and being sold, have to move, being that I'm on a month to month lease I decided just to go. BUT Where? I really am having a hard time deciding on where to move in San Diego since there are so many awesome options! Anyone care to vote or has a suggestion I would love to hear it.

Background
-Want to keep rent under 1500 the bigger the place the better (right now I pay 1300 for a two floor apt downtown, great deal, no wonder there going into foreclosure)

-BF and I work at home so no commuting worries

-LOVE LOVE LOVE SPORTS Want to be close as possible to Mountain biking/Kayaking/kitesurfing/Dirt biking/trail running (This is my main issue)

-A garage would be cool because we have so much gear but not necessary if the place is slightly bigger.

-Have no kids and have no desire to....don't want to live in carmel Valley

-Age 30 and 34

Places were thinking on:
-Just staying downtown (though most rentals are overpriced)
-North PB
-La Costa (worried it may be to suburb feeling though, close to MT biking)
-Encinitas (hard to find good rental)
-Temecula (close to Dirt Biking)

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:25 AM

8 posts, read 22,322 times
sorry there hasnt been a reply to help you. and i dont think im going to be much of a help either, however if i were you temecula sounds like it might be best since you didnt have a negative for it...but i would also move to an area where you'll really like your complex seeing as how you and your friend work in your home. i dont know too much about sd, and idk what pb is mostly because i live in fresno. if you could share what its like living in downtown sd and what it offers that would be really great. im having a difficult time finding a decent place to live. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 AM

129 posts, read 473,617 times
Chula Vista, Mission Trails area, any number of places are good.

In San Diego you are only 30 minutes usually from any activity by car.

Unlike LA which can take an hour or more with the traffic.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:32 PM

That is true about being close to driving anywhere....I guess no matter where I choose i'll be driving somewhere.

MRSEG01
Living downtown is good....depends what you want from a downtown, I'm originally from Chicago, so downtown here is just like a little town....tourist city. I would say if you look to live downtown, try out East Village or Little Italy area. The nice thing about living downtown is walking distance to restaurants, the stadium and a few shops. Hope that helps.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:33 PM

190 posts, read 704,654 times
You can also try the neighborhoods around Balboa Park(Hillcrest/North Park/South Park, etc.) if you want the downtown experience/living at a more people-sized pace with a less touristy feel. They are very close to downtown too as a bonus.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:56 AM

434 posts, read 988,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejaye View Post
Hey All I'm living downtown San Diego and have to move do to my building going into foreclosure and being sold, have to move, being that I'm on a month to month lease I decided just to go. BUT Where? I really am having a hard time deciding on where to move in San Diego since there are so many awesome options! Anyone care to vote or has a suggestion I would love to hear it.

Background
-Want to keep rent under 1500 the bigger the place the better (right now I pay 1300 for a two floor apt downtown, great deal, no wonder there going into foreclosure)

-BF and I work at home so no commuting worries

-LOVE LOVE LOVE SPORTS Want to be close as possible to Mountain biking/Kayaking/kitesurfing/Dirt biking/trail running (This is my main issue)

-A garage would be cool because we have so much gear but not necessary if the place is slightly bigger.

-Have no kids and have no desire to....don't want to live in carmel Valley

-Age 30 and 34

Places were thinking on:
-Just staying downtown (though most rentals are overpriced)
-North PB
-La Costa (worried it may be to suburb feeling though, close to MT biking)
-Encinitas (hard to find good rental)
-Temecula (close to Dirt Biking)

Any other suggestions?
Temecula is quite a different culture from downtown. Classic middle of the road suburbia - not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that. There are some close outdoor activities, though, as there are almost no matter where you live around here.

If you like downtown life, I'd say uptown. You'd be a wee bit closer to Mission Trails, especially if you could afford something in and around Kensington.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,379 times
Smile Chula Vista's Hidden Adventures

We have lived in East Chula Vista (Rolling Hills Ranch, EastLake Area)six years and love every thing it has to offer. We have numerous bike trails and some we are just finding out about. Some trails lead East into Rancho San Diego, Jamul, Julian, Otay and more. Go West and the trails lead you to the coast. Who knew?We fish on Wednesdays and on Weekends at Otay Lakes Upper of Lower, rent boats and watch the Olympic training crew,bikes, archers etc. We have two community centers within biking or walking where we play tennis and a pick up game of basket ball. If you like to golf you can do that to. We go to the beach often and have are chairs permanently in the car. We have the new 125 toll road although expensive it is very nice when I am in a hurry. Great dining. Brigintine, PF Changs, Nicos Steak and Chop house, California pizza kitchen, macoroni grill, chilis, bento noodles, pat and oscarsand load more. Henry's Market and trader Joes you can walk to for grocery shopping or catch a movie at the mall. There is so much more you have to live it for yourself. Amazing Area. We actually lived in Del Mar Heights for eight years.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:33 AM

wow thanks for the replies everyone! I think I ruled out Temecula because of the heat and dust in the summer time. I think I'm now thinking Balboa, La Costa and now thanks to MarleyMar I'll for sure check out East Chula Vista area, I don't think I have been there before. I'm going drive around today and get a feel for the areas!

Old 03-21-2009, 02:29 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,806 times
I second MarleyMar. You can do all the things you mentioned in eastern Chula Vista (Eastlake, Rolling Hills) and more. Kayaking in the lake or on the marina, dirt biking, running trails, OTC, we have it all. We have lots of new shops and restaurants as mentioned and the most beautiful parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego