Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:15 AM

5 posts, read 16,507 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm 28 years old and am going through a divorce. I've wanted to leave Michigan for a long time, because I am just not happy here anymore. I'm sick of the weather, everything is so dirty, I need a new crowd, and I am sick of my job. I've been on the same job since my senior year in high school, and I've also been with my wife since then, so, as you can see, it's a scary move to leave everything you know to start a new life.

As for the positives, I have a brother, who I really miss, that lives in Fallbrook up in the mountains. My mother, stepdad and my two sisters, who live in MI with me, are also thinking about moving out there too if my stepdad can find a job. That will mean I have family out there. I also have a friend who lives in LA so I would have people out there I know.

I'm thinking of trying to find a job around the Carlsbad, Oceanside, Vista, San Marcos area, and living there too. I need to live close to where I work and go to a community college so I can finish my degree. I don't want to be commuting two hours a day. I figure that would be nice because my brother lives in Fallbrook and I'd be close to him. My bro is really trying to get me out there and says I can live with him while I job hunt and get on my feet; however, I would really like to find a job before I go. I could just live with him while I work and find the right place.

I have two dogs so I would have to rent a house. Does anyone think It would be possible to find a home to rent that is in a nice area for about $1,300 a month? I'm not college educated yet, so I know I won't make a fortune out there to start; however, will I be able to suruveve if I find a job paying me about $20 an hour?

I'm really trying to think this through and make a smart move. I realize it takes some gutz, but If I don't take a risk I will never know what could have been. If I go out there it could be the best thing I ever did but I am scared.

Any suggestions or opinions on anything I said. Thanks guys.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:40 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
You probably would need to already have a job to rent a house ... or have sufficient cash on hand (maybe 6 months rent), and then some to meet your other expenses.

I think initially staying with your brother is the way to go.

If you want to see what San Diego homes are available to rent for $1300, try Craigslist

I put an upper limit of $1300 in the Craiglist search. You can change it, and put the areas you are considering into the search as well.

San Diego is a great place to live. If change is what you want, you won't do much better than here.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:38 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
I can really understand you're wanting to move from Michigan and anyplace would probably be better, from what I understand about the economy in Michigan right now. Renting is very tight right now in SD, vacancies are low and you need a high FICO score to even qualify to rent, and nobody will rent to someone without a job. Jobs at $20 an hour for non college graduate might be a challenge...let's put it this way, nobody in SD is quitting their job right now, if they have any common sense. I can't emphasize enough that it is extremely expensive to live here and jobs seem to be either very high paying or very low paying (which are primarily taken up by illegals). I pay $1300 for a one bedroom in the area where you are looking to move. Although you might luck out and be able to rent a foreclosed home for that amount, but then that's not very secure. If you could live with your brother, that would be ideal, but your commute would be fairly long, but at least you could get the lay of the land for awhile and see how it goes. I don't want to discourage you, but I would like you to have a true picture and not a fantasy...because everyone talks about the weather, beach, etc. Again, it is extremely expensive and very populated here, very competitive for jobs, housing, everything...if you can't make $50k, I tell people, don't come. It sounds like you would have to double up with someone for awhile as far as a place to live. But you're young, and you can take a chance.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,036 times
Check out San Marcos or Vista, CA. There is a nice community college called Palomar nearby. I used to rent an apartment in that area for $250 a month in the '80's.I'm sure prices have gone up. You could work in Carlsbad which is about a 20 minute drive from Vista. There used to be several business parks in the Carlsbad area.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:30 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,190,627 times
Definitely stay with your brother while you get on your feet. Start saving $ now, too. Give it a try...you can always go back!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 PM

125 posts, read 440,518 times
I honestly wouldn't recommend CA, I think it is a bit too volatile for someone who wants to start fresh on their feet. And while your Mom would like to move to CA, I would make sure she is serious before making a big change in your life.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM

264 posts, read 907,588 times
Default honest answer

California is too expensive for you. San Diego has a very high number of trust funders and college graduates who have to settle for low paying jobs. I would suggest you look at moving to somewhere down south.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:58 AM

489 posts, read 1,956,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan88 View Post
I'm really trying to think this through and make a smart move. I realize it takes some gutz, but If I don't take a risk I will never know what could have been. If I go out there it could be the best thing I ever did but I am scared.

Any suggestions or opinions on anything I said. Thanks guys.
Do it. I came here from Mich. when I was just a year older than you in 1991--never regretted it, never looked back. Try it, if it's not doable, you can always go back or move on to yet another adventure somewhere else. Good luck

Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 AM

20 posts, read 60,115 times
I live in Vista and my 2 bedroom apartment is $1000 a month plus utilities. You would be better off staying with your brother until you get situated for a good job and going to school. You will probably be going to Palomar College, the closest community college to Fallbrook, but Mira Costa is an option also with a slightly longer commute. The job market is not good right now though. I know some well educated people who are struggling to make ends meet after being laid off. Companies are downsizing and a lot of local branches of corporations are shutting down. If you have the right experience you might find a good job, but it's a crapshoot. I wish you luck. If you move out here you'll need it. I'm getting out as soon as I can, and we're heading to MI if his job allows.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
On a big move don't automatically rent a place because you won't know the area and all the apartment places will want at least a 12 month lease. I suggest moving in with your brother if that is an option or failing that renting a room instead of a whole apartment. This will give you time to get to know the area, find a job, and make a better informed choice of where to live after you've been here a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego