Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:53 PM

47 posts, read 112,986 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

My husband and I are planning to move to CA from NYC. We’ve never been to the Cali but researching it as a whole, San Diego jumped out instantly –for both of us- as a place we might find the lifestyle that we’re looking for; meaning: out of the rat race. (Obviously we’ll visit before decide to move.) We’re looking for a more laid back lifestyle (where we can actually enjoy life), and it might sounds weird but feeling burnt out at the age of 29 is not a good thing.
I know it might not be the best time to move, but we just kinda had enough.
My husband is in the Carpenters Union so he hopes to get a job thru transferring to the one where we eventually move to (anyone familiar with the job opportunities in the skilled worker/labor field?). We are very well aware of the job situation so won’t come here without savings and job offers. (job hopped enough to know that)
Obviously we’re most interested in the areas of SD. Where can we rent a 1 bedroom apartment for around a $1000? We’re really not into crowded places just a safe area (meaning I won’t have to be afraid to walk to the store at night…are there stores in walking distance?). Encinitas? Solana Beach? Rancho Bernardo? Poway?
When we’re looking for an apartment is there anything that we should make sure it has or doesn’t have? (AC maybe?)
We own a 10 year old car, is it necessary to get another one? I heard the registration is quite expensive…How much is a gallon of gas?
What kind of utilities do you usually have to pay when you rent and how much are they for a 1 bdr? (it might be different from NYC)
Are there any quick facts, customs that I should know about CA and/or San Diego?

Thank you for all your responses, I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 02:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
even union workers are not finding any work. In fact someone else from NY was thinking of exactly the same thing about 3 months ago. I don't know if she was successful or not.

Will you need a second car? If you are both working, yes and you will both need jobs in order to afford living in San Diego. I don't think the living is any more than NYC though, infact maybe not as high.

Yes, car registration can be high, but the lower the car value, the less it is.

I would think $1000 a month should afford you a decent place to live and utilities will probably be a little less than in NYC>

You do sound like you have your eyes wide open; you probably need to spend a week or two (at least) in SD researching every single aspect of living there to make a educated decision.

You biggest problem will be finding jobs, other than that I am sure everything can work for you.

Good luck,

Nita

Old 10-30-2009, 03:13 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,812,944 times
Obviously we’re most interested in the areas of SD. Where can we rent a 1 bedroom apartment for around a $1000? That's low end here and of the places you listed below- that might be tough to find a decent place with that price.

We’re really not into crowded places just a safe area (meaning I won’t have to be afraid to walk to the store at night…are there stores in walking distance?). Encinitas? Solana Beach? Rancho Bernardo? Poway?
Encintas Solana Beach Carlsbad are walking type towns. Poway Rancho Bernardo are very spread out.

When we’re looking for an apartment is there anything that we should make sure it has or doesn’t have? (AC maybe? I rarely use my AC in San Diego- In fact SD is pretty easy on utilities bills. I'd say Make sure your Apartment has washer/dryer or hook up.

We own a 10 year old car, is it necessary to get another one? I heard the registration is quite expensive…How much is a gallon of gas? Registration is TERRIBLE and you wait 3-4 hours to do it at the DMV. Gas 2.99-3.40 a gallon.

What kind of utilities do you usually have to pay when you rent and how much are they for a 1 bdr? (it might be different from NYC) You'll spend LESS here than in NY guarentee.

Are there any quick facts, customs that I should know about CA and/or San Diego? Don't dis San diego to a native- they get defensive and think you can't be happy anywhere. Take advantage of the carefree attitude here- meaning I can get a lot of my errands done from 7am-10am on the weekends (and during Charger games)this town seems to sleep in. Be careful on the highways alot of people don't carry insurance and most have adopted their own rules to driving. If you like to run, bike, hike or surf you'll love the options.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:37 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,995,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel09 View Post
Dear All,

Are there any quick facts, customs that I should know about CA and/or San Diego?
Be prepared to experience a culture shock. We moved from NYC to SD and they are polar opposites. It sounds like you want a change, but make sure about what you are getting into. We wanted a change too but SD is too drastically different.

From what you said about wanting to feel safe walking to a store- I sense you may still be thinking that doing so would be possible in SD as it would be in a highly walkable city like NYC. In most areas of SD, it will not be possible to walk to a store. Expect to depend heavily upon your car. There are some more walkable neighborhoods like Hillcrest, but you will still need to rely on your car to really get access to most of the city and what it has to offer. The trolley is not really extensive either and does not go to many parts of the city.

One last thing- NYCers have to speak at a louder decibel to be heard in their noisy city and people expect you to be efficient and quick in communicating what you want and need. But in San Diego, if you talk in the same efficient manner as you did in NYC, you will be perceived as overbearing, hostile, and possibly rude. When you come here, you will need to slow down your rate of talking and speak more softly to make a better impression.

The good things about NYC to SD are that you will think SD is super clean, weather is absolutely wonderful, and of course more work/life balance.

Bad things may be boredom, lack of stimulation or inspiration, less diversity, less culture and art, and the pizzas being comparatively subpar.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:15 PM

15,130 posts, read 32,361,461 times
It's not necessary to get another car. Registration goes on the age of your car, and you can make an appointment with a CA DMV office to transfer everything over and get your tags. With an appointment, you bypass waiting in line.

The amount of utilities that you pay every month will depend on what you use. I have a one bedroom cottage, and I don't have A/C or a washer/dryer. It runs about $20-$25 in the summer, and because I'm cold blooded, more in the winter, it just depends on how often I have to use my heater. You can qualify for a CARE discount, which takes 20% off your bill every month.

And yes, you will have to rely on your car to get most places.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 AM

47 posts, read 112,986 times
Thank you for all your help! We are really looking for a place where the people walk in a slower pace, talk in a milder tone, have less attitude. I read about these neighborhoods: Normal Heights, University Heights, Hillcrest...is it possible to find a 1 bedroom for about a $1000?
I don't mind driving to stores and such, but don't want to feel extremely secluded. Right now we're living in "suburbish, blue collar area" of Queens where I can walk to Main street for some conveniences like a post office but if I want shop for clothes I have to drive.
Any neighborhood suggestions?

Thanks again!

Old 11-02-2009, 11:02 AM

664 posts, read 1,947,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel09 View Post
Dear All,

My husband and I are planning to move to CA from NYC. We’ve never been to the Cali but researching it as a whole, San Diego jumped out instantly –for both of us- as a place we might find the lifestyle that we’re looking for; meaning: out of the rat race. (Obviously we’ll visit before decide to move.) We’re looking for a more laid back lifestyle (where we can actually enjoy life), and it might sounds weird but feeling burnt out at the age of 29 is not a good thing.
I know it might not be the best time to move, but we just kinda had enough.
My husband is in the Carpenters Union so he hopes to get a job thru transferring to the one where we eventually move to (anyone familiar with the job opportunities in the skilled worker/labor field?). We are very well aware of the job situation so won’t come here without savings and job offers. (job hopped enough to know that)
Obviously we’re most interested in the areas of SD. Where can we rent a 1 bedroom apartment for around a $1000? We’re really not into crowded places just a safe area (meaning I won’t have to be afraid to walk to the store at night…are there stores in walking distance?). Encinitas? Solana Beach? Rancho Bernardo? Poway?
When we’re looking for an apartment is there anything that we should make sure it has or doesn’t have? (AC maybe?)
We own a 10 year old car, is it necessary to get another one? I heard the registration is quite expensive…How much is a gallon of gas?
What kind of utilities do you usually have to pay when you rent and how much are they for a 1 bdr? (it might be different from NYC)

Thank you for all your responses, I really appreciate it.
I don't know if SD really fits the bill here. I'ts not a place out of the rat race where people walk slower and talk slower...If anyhting it sounds like your trading one rat race for another in my opinion. Best of luck!

Old 11-02-2009, 12:59 PM

231 posts, read 640,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
I don't know if SD really fits the bill here. I'ts not a place out of the rat race where people walk slower and talk slower...If anyhting it sounds like your trading one rat race for another in my opinion. Best of luck!
It all depends where you are coming from but in direct comparison, SD will be far less imposing of a city than NYC. Of course if you were coming from a small town than I could see SD being quite a change for oneself also.

Also, there are a LOT of New England people that have migrated to SD in the past few decades (or so it seems), I think that has brought some interesting affects along with it.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:14 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,301,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post

Bad things may be boredom, lack of stimulation or inspiration, less diversity, less culture and art, and the pizzas being comparatively subpar.
Have you tried Bronx pizza in Hillcrest? It's no different than all the pizza joints in NYC/Jersey and the only place we go to for our East Coast fix.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:02 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,812,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
I'd agree with this- but I think SD is a much slower pace. Slow pace and lots of people is usually a recipe for disaster. I just get annoyed by the tourists and people from the North invading on the weekends clogging up the streets making it difficult to park and causing delays in my plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego