Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
No rain yet. Fingers crossed that it arrives overnight and doesn't go around us like so many systems have in the past few months.
Rain yes...hail...no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:51 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,835,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
No problem

I've seen enough evidence from satellite imagery, radar trends, and model analysis that tells we will see an increased risk for severe storms overnight tonight.

The main threats will continue to be large hail, damaging winds, heavy rain, and an isolated tornado.
So do I need to sleep with the earplugs in, or will it wait for my morning coffee?

Old 04-11-2009, 10:56 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,245,491 times
I wish I could answer that. The main line has slowed significantly. It started earlier today in New Mexico and shifted to the east just west of San Angelo. It has taken over 2.5 hours for the line to travel east from Midland to west of San Angelo (a distance of roughly 100 miles) and it still hasn't made it to San Angelo yet.

You may be making your morning cup o' joe w/ lightning.

I'm still waiting for the storms to dig south enough that we'll get hit too. Right now they only need to drop southward another 50 or so miles and there's a good chance of that happening overnight before they get here.

Regardless, I'm in for an incredibly long night. In addition to SA, I have to monitor East Texas as well (and west)... but East Texas looks real bad tomorrow.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:59 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,835,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
I wish I could answer that. The main line has slowed significantly. It started earlier today in New Mexico and shifted to the east just west of San Angelo. It has taken over 2.5 hours for the line to travel east from Midland to west of San Angelo (a distance of roughly 100 miles) and it still hasn't made it to San Angelo yet.

You may be making your morning cup o' joe w/ lightning.

I'm still waiting for the storms to dig south enough that we'll get hit too. Right now they only need to drop southward another 50 or so miles and there's a good chance of that happening overnight before they get here.

Regardless, I'm in for an incredibly long night. In addition to SA, I have to monitor East Texas as well (and west)... but East Texas looks real bad tomorrow.

You keep up the great work!!
If I knew where to send the coffee, I'd make sure you had plenty. Great website, btw! I think it's pretty awesome to see someone so passionate about their 'work', and good at it to boot!
Admittedly, I only understand about 1/3 of what you say..but then, that's all I need usually!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
If I knew where to send the coffee, I'd make sure you had plenty. Great website, btw! I think it's pretty awesome to see someone so passionate about their 'work', and good at it to boot!
Admittedly, I only understand about 1/3 of what you say..but then, that's all I need usually!
Thank you for all your compliments, as well as everyone else in here. It really helps keep me going.

Yeah I got plenty of coffee and whatever out there to stay awake as long as I need to. I am well-seasoned with these kind of wait and see events, especially overnighters. Most of our storms seem to happen at night, as of late.

I'll also try to do a better job explaining what I mean in future posts so we can get that percentage up

Old 04-11-2009, 11:44 PM

New Severe Thunderstorm watch west of town til 8AM. This thing is taking it's time so we're looking at a daybreak situation here.

http://tinyurl.com/dz6qmg (broken link)

Old 04-12-2009, 01:11 AM

Switched radar sites on my server... the San Angelo link is no longer active and now looking at Del Rio radar now. There are a lot of storms developing and moving to the east.

BTW, I also noticed the drizzle in SA.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 AM

898 posts, read 2,563,176 times
That is some of the heaviest drizzle I've ever seen outside over the north side right now. I thought the actual rain event was here...

Old 04-12-2009, 01:37 AM

Nope, it's just some light rain forming... it just shows you how much upper level moisture we have to work with that came from the Pacific.

The main line is now approaching Del Rio and quickly developing. I really think it'll be hard for SA to miss out on the storms now.

Anyway, the NWS has issued something along the lines of a "Significant Weather Advisory" for Val Verde County until 3:00 AM CDT. They issue those for storms that are strong, but not quite severe. The main threat right now from these cells is heavy rain, gusty winds, and some small hail.

I'll continue monitoring the line to see if it does indeed turn severe.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:06 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
I'll pitch in on that coffee for the great work. It's good to have AnthonySA on this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio