Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,019,288 times

Advertisements

RD

Here's the scoop on Alamo Ammo. I had a chance to drop by there on my way home from my doctor's appointment, and it was a little hard to find as the store at that address is actually Alamo Tickets! So I went in and asked, and indeed it is also Alamo Ammo...there just aren't any signs to indicate it! Just for future reference, they are on the left side of NW Military as you are heading north, right at the West Avenue intersection. It is right next to the Bank of America.

Anyhow, I asked about 7.62x54R and they only had 20-round boxes on hand. I asked if they were at the SAXET show last weekend and the guy confirmed it was them, which is why they didn't have any ammo. The majority of their stock is "on the road" at the various shows in the area. Right now it is on its way to Dallas. As such, the guy recommended stopping by during the week, when they keep it in the store.

As for Wayne at Ho Guns, he is a really nice guy. Retired Air Force as well. I know he and Gary are good friends and Wayne is active with the River City Shooters down at Blackhawk Range. I went to one of their IDPA matches about a year ago with Dave G. (who also knew Wayne pretty well). It was really enjoyable and something you ought to look into, nice you shoot scenario-based settings it'll ruin you for standing at the range killing "paper threats!"

By the way, did you happen to notice if Wayne had any milsurp firearms in stock?

Also, I gotta ask, since it is closer to where you live, have you gone back to that new place on Potranco? We drove by it the other day and the doors were open. It was busy but it still didn't look like they had much in there. It's too far in the opposite direction from me to make a special trip.

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 03:30 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,426,006 times
I was going to swing by there today, but forgot. I wanted to ask him what he can get an LCR for.
As far as the stock in Ho Guns, it was pretty slim pickings. He had a couple AR-15s and I really didn't notice if he had any old rifles. I just can't get into that stuff with all the sexy modern ones sitting there grabbing my attention. He had a SIG 556, which I would really like to get, but I could get a LOT of other things for that same amount of money.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:56 PM

I stopped in that place on Potranco today to ask about the LCR. He actually recommended I get it from that gun show guy because that price is cost to him. I wonder how that guy is going it? He had a WASR in there for $500 and a Galil in .223. I have always wanted to see one of those and they are pretty nice, but it was on consignment and the guy wanted $800. Good luck with that..

Old 02-13-2010, 04:15 PM

A WASR-10 for $500? That's ridiculous, you can get a Yugo for almost that price.

I meant to share some inf on Texas Guns. I stopped by there the other day and their inventory was slim. The guy behind the counter said they were opening a second store in Kerrville, so they were taking a lot of what they had to the new store. I guess there's less competition, and their prices won't seem so high as they do at their SA store...

Old 02-13-2010, 05:10 PM

Where is Texas Guns? and yeah, I kinda snickered at that price. They were talking about ammo when I went in and complaining about walmart only allowing them to buy 6 boxes at a time. I found that sorta odd and would've figured they had better prices available to them from a distributor. That Potranco/1604 was fully loaded with ammo today too. They had pretty much everything in stock including a lot of .45 and even two different brands of 7.62x39, Remington and Winchester. Both were insanely expensive, though, and I can't see what makes it so special. Mine has no issue with the cheap Russian steel stuff. Just feed it something, point, and pull the trigger. No wonder I love it

I also picked up some of this from the Potranco Academy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc5ToYdcq7A

$25/20 again, but it's very highly recommended and what the FBI uses. The video does a great job of selling it.

I originally had some Winchester white box JHPs for SD/HD in my XDm, but really don't trust it.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:54 PM

RD

Texas Guns is at 7128 Bandera Road, right next to the Texas Thunder indoor shooting range. Both places are way overpriced, but at least the shop used to have a decent selection of guns. Most people don't like it, but I did buy one milsurp carbine from them and although the price was high, the rifle itself was in nice shape. Plus, I wasn't having any luck finding one like it anywhere else. Still, you can easily beat their prices at the local shows.

To be honest, I don't know what Remington and Winchester make 7.62x39 ammo when there is so much milsurp available. They sure can't come close to the price of the Russian stuff, and I have never had a quality or consistency issue with any of the Bear or Wolf ammo I've used.

As for the HD/SD ammo for your pistol, that stuff is always expensive but you should always fire a few rounds through it at the range just to make sure your pistol "likes" it. Just 2-3 rounds every once and a while. I have had no problem with WWB, but you definitely don't want FMJs in your pistol if you ever need to use it. They will over-penetrate and that's definitely not good.

Cheers! M2

Old 02-13-2010, 07:58 PM

We're going to the Bullet Hole tomorrow morning and I'm going to test fire a couple rounds. I seriously doubt the 19 and XDm will have an issue with them. They're not really picky eaters either

Old 02-14-2010, 07:51 AM

I did good on Valentine's Day and get to do some shopping today
not going to be the LCR, though. I'm getting a shotgun, which I should have got a long time ago.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,158,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Here's the scoop on Alamo Ammo. I had a chance to drop by there on my way home from my doctor's appointment, and it was a little hard to find as the store at that address is actually Alamo Tickets! So I went in and asked, and indeed it is also Alamo Ammo...there just aren't any signs to indicate it!
I was there picking up tickets last week and I wondered why there were boxes of ammo sitting around the place, but I didn't want to ask. Thanks for clearing up the mystery.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I was there picking up tickets last week and I wondered why there were boxes of ammo sitting around the place, but I didn't want to ask. Thanks for clearing up the mystery.
It's ironic, as when I went in there wasn't a round of ammo in sight!

I was standing there confused for a couple of minutes before anyone helped me, as the address matched the one from the web site but there wasn't even a sign to indicate that they also sold ammo.

I plan to go back by next week, I need a spam can of 7.62x54.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio