Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:46 PM

69 posts, read 301,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
Sign the petition and make your voice be heard by city council. There is no reason to complain if your not willing to step up to the plate when you need to.
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...ned.cgi?8177&1
Thanks I can't vote but I vote vicariously through my husband..lol.. and He has signed the petition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 12:04 PM

504 posts, read 1,457,194 times
I work for City Council District 5 and I am looking for residents in our area to give us data on areas within our district that need graffiti wiped out. please pm me or post here...now is your chance!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 01:15 PM

8 posts, read 48,096 times
Our shop is in Alta Vista right near Mark Twain Middle School and we have gang symbols on our building all the time (i'm sure by the kids) - our building is partially brick and it's a shame that our building now has to loose its historical value because we have to paint over it (we've tried the powerwashing thing, didn't work). The buildings around us get tagged too. It's so sad since this area has such rich historcial value to the city - a lot of the homes are being renovated. I blame the lack of training at home first and second, the lack of police, especially at night, when I assume this is going on. The city needs to do SOMETHING to help prevent this from becoming a bigger problem.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:31 PM

report this graffiti or call me at the office 210-212-2275 and I will put your concern into the right office.
SAN ANTONIO COMMUNITY PORTAL - Home

Old 09-19-2007, 01:32 PM

the best way to get rid of tags and gang graff is to have the city allow legal graffiti walls for real artists and watch the percentage of gng graff drop dramatically.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:20 PM

343 posts, read 1,305,164 times
The best way is to start punishing the persons doing this and their parents if they are minors.

Maybe cut off a finger each time one of these taggers is caught. After their tenth time, they won't be able to tag anymore.

When and if they are caught, make them pay for the repainting. If they are minors, then go after the parents. If they don't have the money to do it, then they can do community service cleaning up the tagging or even at the animal shelter.

Rather than punish the victim, lets victimize the tagger.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyway View Post
The best way is to start punishing the persons doing this and their parents if they are minors.

Maybe cut off a finger each time one of these taggers is caught. After their tenth time, they won't be able to tag anymore.

When and if they are caught, make them pay for the repainting. If they are minors, then go after the parents. If they don't have the money to do it, then they can do community service cleaning up the tagging or even at the animal shelter.

Rather than punish the victim, lets victimize the tagger.
tell that to the judge that owns the property on San Pedro/I35 that caught these guys tagging on the building a few years ago and then allowed them to do their "srt" on it. these same artists have filmed Bud Co., Pepsi, and Coke commercials at that site.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:27 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,488 times
I think we need to make sure everyone understands the different classes of graffiti writers. I’m sure that those who despise graffiti could care less but there is a difference.

I mentioned in another forum how San Antonio (as usual) is so far behind the rest of the country. New York’s graffiti "problem" was in the late 70's early 80's. LA's was in the 90's and here we are today in SA finally catching up. Also be aware that some of the best artists of our times were spawned from these movements.

The difference in the classes was established from the beginning. Everyone starts as a “wanna be” obviously. Some have artistic talent some don’t. Those who don’t are classified as “Toys”. Toys are the ones whose writings have no style at all. Now whether or not they have talent all taggers have one goal, to "Get up" as much as possible in as many places as possible. You can’t stop them. Those with talent usually graduate into doing "Pieces". These are the big beautiful pieces of art you see like on the building at 35 and San Pedro as Quest51210 mentioned. This is what we all hope graffiti artist aspire to. They are the ones who need a place where they can do their art legally.

The thing is that part of being a graffiti writer is doing it illegally. There is a graffiti magazine whose title says it all "WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING". Of course, like with so many other things, those toys with no talent usually grow out of doing it so that’s the most you can hope for.

You know what, rather than having me go on and on check out the Wiki:

Graffiti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-03-2007, 09:06 PM

83 posts, read 69,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyway View Post
It seems that finally the graffiti problem has gotten more attention.

I have lived here in San Antonio for about 3 years now but it seems lately I have seen more graffiti.

Yesterday and the day before I saw on the news about the graffiti and vandalism at the drive inn and the Mission's Trail.

I don't know what type of punishment policy the city has but it needs some more teeth.

The problem starts at the home of these idiots. You have to start and wonder what is causing the decay of our society. What makes these idiots do these acts of vandalism?

When and if these idiots are caught, they and their parents should be punished. If I find out kids are doing these things, I know I will have to remedy the damage but then my kids will have to answer to me.

Make the parents pay for the damage, the idiots who did the damage will have to fix it and do community service by cleaning up the work of other idiots, the idiots will have to wears signs that say "I am an Idiot Tagger" and will stand at intersections with a lot of traffic and their home will have a big sign that reads "Here Lives an Idiot Tagger!" Of course all this will be in english and spanish.

Finally, if these idiots are caught again, they will be subjected to all of the above but will be tatooed in pink with a sign that says, "I Luv Graffiti".

Kind of like the scarlet letter.
My wife told me she saw a program on these Graffiti people, and it turns out most of them are either teens, or in their 30's.

As far as punishment, I can't stand the stuff and why not just start out with cutting off a finger to deter them? If they continue, cut off a hand. That should get them to stop.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 AM

472 posts, read 1,792,488 times
I guess it’s like that saying about rock music. If it’s too loud then you're too old. But I know you people are talking about (and hating) straight vandalism and not graffiti art. You all do know how influential graffiti is though, right? I mean look at the Via buses that have wrap around advertising, where do you think they got that idea from? Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio