Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 PM

504 posts, read 1,459,172 times

Advertisements

all of you "concerned" citizens never called me when i worked for the councilwoman. this saddens me because it shows that even those who post in CDSA are scared to make a change in their communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:58 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,464,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
all of you "concerned" citizens never called me when i worked for the councilwoman. this saddens me because it shows that even those who post in CDSA are scared to make a change in their communities.
Maybe the apathy we've experienced from politicians speaks volumes. People can call, write, complain, b*tch and moan, but politicians and the people who work for them have their own agenda. Unfortunately, many times their agenda and those of their constituents are not the same.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 PM

504 posts, read 1,459,172 times
i am making changes, i have pissed off more than one council member while doing it too, i dont fear anyone and moost members on here are weak minded individuals that dont have the guts to realize the only way to bring a politician to you is to create strong neighborhood bonds. you get a strong set of voters and they come to your beck and call.

apathy=complacency

by the way, me working for a politician and coming on here for feedback and concerns exhibits how some of us are seeking community members for changes, but you guys dont speak up.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 AM

472 posts, read 1,794,788 times
While tagging is definitely an eyesore Im am so happy to see kids getting into art. I love the fact that some people/business owners have allowed artist to do big and beautiful graffiti pieces. Would you rather have a kid in a gang or in a graffiti crew? I'd rather see a kid with a spray can than with a gun.
Yeah maybe we need to increase punishment for tagging but lets also have more free walls for kids to do graffiti legally.
People wake up. We are in the middle of an art movement that started over 30 years ago. Lets allow it to flourish. Give these kids an outlet to express themselves.

Kids into graffiti usually get along with kids that skateboard. Why not have a graffiti park along side a skate park?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 AM

841 posts, read 1,750,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
Give these kids an outlet to express themselves.
The problem is that graffiti walls do not curb tagging - they are two, completely separate things. One only has to look at places downtown where graffiti murals have been installed. The mural is untouched, but across the street, or around the corner on the same building you will see tagging.

Regarding quest51210's comments, yes neighbors should speak up... but I think saying that the reason nothing is done is because it appears it is acceptable to the residents is, in my opinion, a cop out. Neighbors shouldn't have to complain about better police protection, streets without potholes, or walls free from tagging - it is expected as a basic service of city government. And yes, I do complain to my councilman, and yes, I do go out and paint over tagging (with matching paint by the way ).

Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,464,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
apathy=complacency
I know what apathy means. My comment about apathy was that it's on the part of the politicians. Once they get into office, all the campaign promises fly out the window. They're all full of Moderator cut: edited, as far as I'm concerned. They all have their own reasons for wanting to be in office and it has absolutely nothing with serving the community.

However, as Montirob said, citizens shouldn't have to beg and plead for basic services. These should be provided to taxpaying citizens regardless of whether we pound on doors, send letters, etc. If we cannot depend on the people we've voted into office to do their jobs and take care of their constituents, why should we trust some peon who works for them?

Last edited by da jammer; 07-24-2008 at 01:27 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 09:25 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,837,988 times
I agree..I've been to meetings where these people (politicians) yawned, rolled their eyes and displayed general signs of boredom during the entire time!
I call BS , quest....

Old 07-24-2008, 10:42 AM

472 posts, read 1,794,788 times
[quote=Montirob;4582805]The problem is that graffiti walls do not curb tagging - they are two, completely separate things. One only has to look at places downtown where graffiti murals have been installed. The mural is untouched, but across the street, or around the corner on the same building you will see tagging.

Theres nothing that can be done about tagging. Its all about fame. Not like TV fame but just about the fame your tag gets. It all about getting your name up on more places, more times than anyone else. Its about being city wide, having your name all over the city so no matter where one goes they see the same tag over and over. Thats the fame and it becomes an obsession. How do you stop an obsession?
The only thing you can hope for is that some these kids have talent and become actual graffiti artist or that they realize they have no talent and stop.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,967,416 times
...Or you start catching and punishing them in a very public way (e.g. flogging). After all, they want to acquire "fame" through public methods, why not give it to them?

--Dim

Old 07-24-2008, 12:04 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,547,683 times
umm, some of these kids that do the tagging are in gangs and that's part of it.....they are not in it for the art.

And those that are in it for the art, it does not give them the right to do it on others property.
When I drive around town with family from out of town that's one of the first things they comment on ....all the "letters/taging" that is around and how bad it looks. Noone says, "hey great artwork".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio