Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 09:18 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,217 times

Advertisements

Here's a few more.......

Going to the symphony in elementary school to see "Amal and the Night Visitors", "The Nutcracker" or "Peter and the Wolf".

The night the lights went out in S.A. due to a cat electrocuting itself at the Braunig Lake power plant.

Watching the Tower of the Americas restaurant being hoisted to the top.

The Emily Morgan Hotel was called the Medical Arts Building.

The controversy over building IH 37 through the Zoo and Olmos Basin area.

La Fogata was a little taco stand.

The westerned-themed coffee shop at Joske's.

Floyd's Hamburgers on the south side.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:18 AM

546 posts, read 3,104,505 times
Found this at the "Keep San Antonio Lame" MySpace profile (http://www.myspace.com/ksal) (broken link), it incorporatess some of the above:

You Know You're From San Antonio When...

You lost your virginity at Mission Drive-In.
You know exactly how to get to the Ghost Tracks from anywhere in town.
You think pro-choice means flour or corn tortillas.
You've never been to the Alamo.
You think a health drink is a margarita without salt.
You think being able to read the Taco Cabana menu makes you bilingual.
You used to live in a neighborhood you wouldn't even drive through now.
There has been a road crew on your street since before the Alamodome was built.
You remember when Crossroads Mall used to be called Wonderland.
You've been to Midget Mansion and the Fat Farm.
You know all about the Dancing Diablo and the Donkey Lady bridge.
You know that Wheatley and Brackenridge is the same school.
You remember the Captain Gus show.
Your subwoofer has twice the value of your car.
You have three rodeo outfits but never have been on a horse.
You are an expert with the brake pedal, but you have no idea what a blinker is.
Your idea of culture is wearing a Hard Rock T-shirt.
You think the last supper was at Mi Tierra.
You do your grocery shopping at a flea market.
You think local politicians are crooks, but you still do not vote.
You have a 'Selena Lives' bumper sticker on your car.
You care if San Antonio is in the national spotlight.
A formal occasion is getting a glass with your longneck.
You believe tacos, barbecue, tequila, and beer are the four basic food groups.
You think wearing bows in your hair will get you a husband.
Your white mother learned how to make tamales & menudo from your neighbors.
You know the real definition of Fiesta is 'stay home if at all possible.'
You have ordered Mexican food at a Chinese restaurant.
You had breakfast tacos at Taco Cabana on Christmas morning.
You remember the Joske's Christmas display.
You remember when JC Penney's had a restaurant.
You remember hamburgers from Whopper Burger.
Your elementary school field trip was to the ButterKrust Bakery.
You complain about how cold it is when the temperature dips below 70.
Your cholesterol is over 300.
You had a birthday party at Kiddie Park.
You have had nightmares about the giant cowboy boots in front of North Star Mall.
You own an album by, have seen or are even aware of any of the following bands: 'Moxy', 'Legs Diamond', 'Trapeze', 'Garfield' and especially 'Ozz Knozz' or 'Heyoka.'
You know what people are talking about when they refer to the 'hey-she-b.'
Your idea of a tropical vacation getaway is Port Aransas.
You get defensive when your friends from Austin talk about the great show they saw last night.
You party with your cousin more than twice a week.
You call any convenience store 'icehouse.'
You have only seen snow once in your life and it was twenty years ago.
You think a flash-flood warning means 'go drive through a low water crossing.'
You think the exit ramp is your own personal lauch pad.
You get annoyed when tourists ask for 'fa-jite-as.'
You could care less about the Rodeo but never miss the Cowboy Breakfast.
You know the location of both the Hanging Tree and the Hollow Tree.
You don't have to look at the menu when you order at Bill Miller.
You have never, ever called this city 'San Antone.'

Old 01-25-2007, 10:29 AM

305 posts, read 1,618,382 times
It seems like I went to the Symphony and Butter Krust every year. All I remember from the Symphony was that they played "Spinning Wheels" one year. They were trying to be all cool and reach out to the kids.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:48 AM

43 posts, read 149,083 times
Default I remember Knowltons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Catriona, you brought a tear to my eye! You definitely remember the jingle better that I do. I kind of mumbled through the 1st and last lines in the second stanza. And the Globe jingle, that's it! I remembered the 1st line, but that was about it. BTW, was/is ABC the pest control company that had a bug on top of their trucks?

Does anyone remember Knowltons Ice Cream? How about Bordens. Knowltons vanilla was extremely white in color and I remember they made vanilla with cherries in it. MMMM.

I had memories of NIOSA as well. Anyone remember the taffy machine? That was great stuff. They would give you a little sack of taffy and those things were great when they were still warm. I just can't find taffy like that anymore. Also there was divinity in the French section that was the best. At the Folkelore (Folklife?) Festival, I remember rolling down those steep hills just outside the building and then trying to find a place to lay down in the middle of the building (to cool off) to watch the media show. My dad used to watch the Lebanese Belly Dancers for hours. A few years later, I understood why.

Unfortunately my memories of Joskes are scattered. I remember the entrance to the Sporting Goods section was like you went in the store and then down some steps.
I remember Knowltons Ice Cream. You know, I was thinking about what I could contribute to this wonderfully heartwarming thread (it is my week-end treat to myself after a week of work and when I want to escape from El Paso).

I had thought about inquiring about childhood treats that may prompt a fond memory or two... and passed on it. So... Irnag, I will continue on the ice cream theme (since you mentioned it) ...with Metzgers. Does anyone remember Metzgers Dairy Products? I think Knowltons and Metzgers were local and Bordens and Carnation were national dairy corporations. I remember stopping at drug stores that had counter-tops with soda fountains and I believe the ice cream was Knowltons. I remember Tiner's Ice Cream truck (I think it was blue and white). My memory fades; and, I have been gone from SA since I was 17. I wish I could contribute more, but want to thank all who do. I am thinking about retirement and this thread reinforces the heart-strings I have for San Antonio. But, those darn property taxes (but, that's another thread). Thanks for the SWEET memory!

Last edited by texasborn; 01-27-2007 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-27-2007, 10:25 AM

Oh yeah, I remember Metzgers! I think they had to be one of the last companies to deliver milk door to door. I remember those trucks would park at the corner of the street and the guys would go up and down the street picking up the empties and delivering fresh milk. That was a long time ago, back when record players had three speeds.

I'm a little depressed that no one remembers the wonderful taffy at Night in Ole San Antonio. It was not anything like the yucky saltwater taffy you can find. No, it was sweet as ambrosia. I wish they had never gotten rid of it.(insert sad smiley here)

Old 01-28-2007, 04:51 PM

562 posts, read 659,941 times
The idiots tore down Earl Abels at the corner of Broadway and Hildebrand recently. That should have been stopped as Earl Abels was an old establishment. Rather it should have been sold to another who wanted to continue the restaurant. Now some idiotic business complex is going in there.

Old 01-28-2007, 05:07 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,189 times
It's actually going to be a highrise condo not some idiotic business complex.

http://www.thebroadwaysanantonio.com/

Old 01-28-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
It's actually going to be a highrise condo not some idiotic business complex.

http://www.thebroadwaysanantonio.com/
Ok, it's going to be some idiotic highrise condo.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:48 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
Actually Earl Abel's was sold and it moved to Terrell Plaza on Austin Highway.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:57 PM

The sad thing is you just don't see that style of architecture anymore. The original Earl Abels will sorely be missed. When was it built? Around the 20s? 30s? It seemed to me to have a touch of Art Deco to it. Something still prevalent on South Beach in Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio