Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 08:16 AM

305 posts, read 1,618,474 times

Advertisements

Ozzy, I believe the Quadrangle was located on Broadway outside of 410 about a 1/2 to 1 mile north of Scrivners (sp). When I went there @ 1980, the skating rink was gone and there were only a few stores in it. It looked like it was being used more for office space if anything.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlrey View Post

Tommy Nobis (Falcons), Warren McVae (Chiefs) and later Tommy Kramer (Vikings) first put SA on the sports map.

Oh, and what about those super cheap Griff's burger stands. We used to buy a bag and eat in the car while listening to music.
I actually got Tommy Nobis' autograph at the Golden Gloves boxing tournament. The Golden Gloves used to be a huge event. My dad used to take me when it was at the Municipal Auditorium. Also at Christmas time Coca-Cola used to have a city basketball tournament at Alamo Gym featuring all the local high schools. I remember I could watch B-Ball games all day.

And was Griffs the one that had the sign with the Pillsbury Doughboy looking sign on it?

Old 02-01-2007, 09:40 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,154,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
And was Griffs the one that had the sign with the Pillsbury Doughboy looking sign on it?
I'm getting Griff's confused with Bob's Big Boy...the Bob's sign had a little chubby boy about to pop out of his shirt holding a big hamburger above his head. I'm not even remembering if they were in SA now.

I remember Ben Franklin's...I also remember TG&Y...their little jingle was something like "your best buy is at TG&Y"...

Other good prom night dinner places included Cappy's and Arthur's off Broadway I believe.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanlrey View Post
High School football was king and especially the bands. There used to be some huge bands with 200 plus members. I always looked forward to the Battle of the Bands at the Alamo Stadium during Fiesta Week.

And THE hot radio stations were KTSA and KONO. Both AM powerhouses with amazing events at Sunken Gardens, Brackenridge Park, etc. Bruce Hathaway and other deejays really knew what they were doing.
I was in the marching band so I was at those Battle of the Bands competitions every year during Fiesta. Good memories of interacting with other band members from neighboring high schools.

I remember 55 KTSA..and the older announcer (his name escapes me right now) for the news who seemed to start off every newscast with "Bienvenidos..todos mis amigos" or something similar to that. Always thought it was funny to hear him speak some spanish on an english speaking rock station when I was young. I have to admit though, it was one of the first phrases that I learned and understood what it meant as a kid.

Remember Jud Ashmore who did the weather on channel 5 for awhile? He used to end his weathercasts with something like "hug somebody, it'll make you feel good!"

Old 02-01-2007, 10:47 AM

I hunted down some pictures that may be of interest.

The Ben Franklin's that I remember was on the corner of Babcock and Hillcrest. Jud Ashmore has always been my favorite weatherman.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:02 AM

905 posts, read 2,959,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I was in the marching band so I was at those Battle of the Bands competitions every year during Fiesta. Good memories of interacting with other band members from neighboring high schools.

I remember 55 KTSA..and the older announcer (his name escapes me right now) for the news who seemed to start off every newscast with "Bienvenidos..todos mis amigos" or something similar to that. Always thought it was funny to hear him speak some spanish on an english speaking rock station when I was young. I have to admit though, it was one of the first phrases that I learned and understood what it meant as a kid.

Remember Jud Ashmore who did the weather on channel 5 for awhile? He used to end his weathercasts with something like "hug somebody, it'll make you feel good!"
The older announcer -- was it Henry Guerra or Alan Dale? They both had commentaries on the radio. Henry Guerra did a lot of historic commentary about San Antonio that was really interesting. Alan Dale had a night talk show where he investigated werid happenings, etc. Kind of what "America Coast to Coast" does now. I remember one ghost story about an airplane crash that totally freaked me out that I couldn't sleep that night! Who could forget Jud Ashmore? He wore some of the funkiest suits. Seems like the anchors wore the sophisticated suits, but Jud wore the loud stuff. There was another news reporter that used to wear some loud jackets, too. Gary somebody? Can't remember his last name.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
The older announcer -- was it Henry Guerra or Alan Dale? They both had commentaries on the radio. Henry Guerra did a lot of historic commentary about San Antonio that was really interesting. Alan Dale had a night talk show where he investigated werid happenings, etc. Kind of what "America Coast to Coast" does now. I remember one ghost story about an airplane crash that totally freaked me out that I couldn't sleep that night! Who could forget Jud Ashmore? He wore some of the funkiest suits. Seems like the anchors wore the sophisticated suits, but Jud wore the loud stuff. There was another news reporter that used to wear some loud jackets, too. Gary somebody? Can't remember his last name.
Maybe it was Henry Guerra..I'll have to search to be sure! And the other guy that wore the loud jackets was Gary DeLaune. Loud, 70s sportscoats..lol..and Jud Ashmore and that big mustache that curled on the ends. What a character!

And thanks Irnag for the Griff's sign..I remember it now...

Old 02-01-2007, 12:08 PM

If I had to guess, I'd go with Henry Guerra. I think he did tv spots as well.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:15 PM

940, had a Bob's Big Boy sign, but that didn't link. We have Frisch's Big Boy up here in Indiana. Same as Bob, it's just the franchisees are different in different parts of the country. I think Bob is the original.

And where do you come up with Gary DeLaune? Man I haven't thought about him in ages and there is no way I could have come up with that name.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:21 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,433,488 times
Just found this site and it's awesrome, a few more things:

1. Anyone attend the Southwest Wrestling matches at the junction in the late 70's or 80's?

2. Anyone remember a restarant inside Central Park Mall next to Sears?

3. The movie theather at Windsor Park Mall with the lit up ticket booth, thought it was cool parking in the garage.

4. The movie theater at North Star Mall?

Will post more later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio