Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2007, 02:10 AM

546 posts, read 3,104,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Remember Jud Ashmore who did the weather on channel 5 for awhile? He used to end his weathercasts with something like "hug somebody, it'll make you feel good!"
Weird, there's this ol' man that comes into my shop weekly and ALWAYS delivers that line (quite loudly) to my employees, a super nice old fella...I'm gonna ask him the next time he comes in if he's Jud Ashmore.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:28 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,152,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
Weird, there's this ol' man that comes into my shop weekly and ALWAYS delivers that line (quite loudly) to my employees, a super nice old fella...I'm gonna ask him the next time he comes in if he's Jud Ashmore.
Hey googie2525, I'd bet you odds that it is Jud Ashmore! I can't imagine someone else using that tag line as often as ol' Jud did years ago.

I remember my Mom and I driving from the NW side of town over to Windsor Park quite a few times in the late 70s. I always thought it was one of those malls that would be around forever. I haven't lived in SA on a day-to-day basis in quite a long time so it was a bit puzzling as to why Windsor Park ceased to be the vibrant place it always was. Anyone have any ideas as to what happened to it and the area because I've never really found out the reason and I honestly don't know. I have a memory of standing in line in the mid to late 70s as a little kid to get an autographed photo from Robert Hegyes who was one of the guys/students in the old TV show "Welcome Back Kotter!" It was a very popular show I remember..it also starred John Travolta in one of his first roles.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:08 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,011 times
Windsor and the area around Windsor got a huge negative perception in the Early 90's that it hasn't been able to shake. Their was a drive by shooting by two rival gangs, from Judson, in the VIA Park N Ride that killed an elderly lady. The mall was not responsible for providing security as it was VIA's lot. Shortly after VIA was booted from all Simon Malls (Ingram, Rolling Oaks, Windsor Park). The damage was done however and the media focused on the story for weeks. This was at the height of San Antonio's gang problem and it wasn't unusual to hear gunfire every night on the East side. It's been over 10 years and the area still hasn't been able to shake it image.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:26 AM

305 posts, read 1,618,170 times
To Piggyback on that thought 940, I remember Jamie Farr (Klinger of MASH) was there for the grand opening. I just can't believe that it went from the "it" mall to shuttered in such a short time frame. Wasn't Tommy Kramers pub out that way?

Old 02-02-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Wasn't Tommy Kramers pub out that way?
I believe it was out that way. I'm guessing he's no longer there or that he no longer owns a restaurant/pub anymore too.

By the way, I think this was posted somewhere else on this forum in another thread but if you haven't seen this videoclip about Windsor Park then here it is. It's actually a bit depressing...

http://mallsofamerica.blogspot.com/2...inal-call.html

Old 02-02-2007, 11:45 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,617 times
Smu great pics from Windsor, keep them coming. Anyone have an interior pics of Central Park mall?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:13 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,170 times
The things I remember best about Central Park Mall was a place called Lox and Bagels. First time I had ever heard of a bagel. And then years later spending many nights chasing the local women at Broad Street.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:01 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,617 times
What was the name of Tommy Kramer's bar and where was it located?

Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
What was the name of Tommy Kramer's bar and where was it located?
It was called, appropriately enough, Kramer's. It always had a large Happy Hour and also advertised a Ladies Night with Chippendale Dancers, or a Cinco de Mayo party, or a Football Kick-Off party, Summer Bash party, etc. (you get the idea)! I actually never went but I believe it was off Walzem Rd near to Windsor Park Mall.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I remember 55 KTSA..and the older announcer (his name escapes me right now) for the news who seemed to start off every newscast with "Bienvenidos..todos mis amigos" or something similar to that.
I remember his name now. It was Logan Stuart. He was also one of the Rey Feo's (ugly king) from Fiesta years ago. Anyone also remember Bruce Hathaway from KTSA?

Remember PM Magazine on channel 12? Peggy Kokernaut and Mario Bosquez were the anchors. Mario was the cousin of a good friend of mine in high school so he'd show up at school doing TV interviews and getting opinions all the time.

Other names that I remember..Centeno's, Dyer Electronics and Waitz Model Market. My father bought a lot of his hardware and lumber at Handy Dan's.

Remember when the Stowers Building was imploded? How about the old Bluebonnet Hotel when it was imploded? Or when the Fairmont Hotel was moved from one location to another a few blocks away downtown? It was the largest and heaviest move ever at the time.

I remember driving through the San Antonio River on a bridge that cut through Brackenridge Park. The water wasn't very high but you literally drove through the streaming water on that bridge.

In the late 70's, a buddy of mine had the new cable television at his house. UA/Columbia Cable and it was a big deal. You had to wait until 5 pm or so for HBO and Showtime to come on the air!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio