Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 09:13 AM

34 posts, read 107,340 times

Advertisements

I used to work for Handy Andy when i was in High School ( the store was on Pecan valley dr. (#27) one of the things i remember was when the union came and and we got a .50 rase but our hours where cut from 32 to like 18 after that it was all down hill
the store is still open but it is a LA Festa .... this store now is like a big 7-11
it has 2 HEB's with in a mile to a mile and 1/2 around it ( with the New HEB Plus going up at the old McCreless Mall

Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 AM

34 posts, read 107,340 times
Default Mission 4 Drive in

saw on TV where the Mission Drive in will be coming Down
( i need to get by and get some pictures of it before that happens)
the city bought it for 3 million plus ( your taxes at work )

and they are going to build a National park services
Hispanic association of collages and a public library

found most of this info in the SA Current..

one more thing gone from the past ....
guess we have to move on

Old 10-19-2007, 06:12 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Then it is probably not the building Primo mentioned earlier which became the Hungry Horse Cafe. That had a school bus or something sticking out of it. But it was on Evers and Wurzbach. I want to say I vaguely remember something on Fredricksburg inside the loop, but I could very well be mistaken.

Wait a minute, was this place a restaurant?
I sort of remember that place on Evers now.

But now the place I'm thinking of may have been in a public park somewhere, possibly not even in San Antonio. Sorry to sent you on a wild goose chase.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:39 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Anyone have any photos of the Sky Ride next to Sunken Gardens? What year did that close? What year was it taken down?

I haven't been to Sunken Gardens or the Zoo in years. Do they still have those bubble looking vending machines that make you a plastic mold of the animals? Those were cool.
I don't think you can get into the gardens now, but they still have those machines that make the plastic mold of the animals. I took my nieces there last year. We are taking them again this year for holloween, so I plan on getting one of those animals again.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I might be wrong, but on Frederickburg...at the present day "Babes Hamburgers"......wasn't that a Wendy's that was some sort of train car too....similar to the one on Bandera?

Right near there during the 80's, was a car stereo shop "Mobile Hi Fi"...it was built in a dounut shop...was that a Wenchels or Dunkin?
I don't remember a train there. I remember that place being a Swensen's Ice Cream for the longest time in the 80's. And that Mobile Hi Fi was definitely a Wenchel's donaut shop. We used to go eat at the Bonanza, in whose parking lot it resides, a lot when I was a kid. Funny thing is, back around 5 years ago, myself and a bunch of coworkers from work at that time (you know the place, Primo & Munerider, the dreaded h****hole we all escaped from) went to have lunch at Bonanza before it closed. We all had fond memories of that place from our childhoods. It actually really sucked. I don't think it got any worse, our tastes as adults had just gotten better or more experienced.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

But now the place I'm thinking of may have been in a public park somewhere, possibly not even in San Antonio. Sorry to sent you on a wild goose chase.
Things is, I can actually vaguely remember another place with a train in it. I just can't pin the memory down. I wanted to say Magic Time Machine at first but that is not it. And from what I remember, it was a red caboose.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:01 AM

Ozzyrules, could the train have been in Playland Park? I found a website that lists the rides out there and one of them is called the Ghost Train.

I also found these pictures of the park and the Rocket roller coaster:
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-rocket3a.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-rocket4a.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-rocket5a.jpg  

Old 10-20-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

OzzyRules, can this be it? Apparently this is somewhere in or near SA between Lackland and Elmendorf and/or Floresville. It looks like it is in the middle of an old field that may have once been a park or maybe a play ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-sa-train.jpg  

Old 10-20-2007, 12:48 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
OzzyRules, can this be it? Apparently this is somewhere in or near SA between Lackland and Elmendorf and/or Floresville. It looks like it is in the middle of an old field that may have once been a park or maybe a play ground.
Who knows? It's very possible. Thanks for posting that.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:59 AM

In looking for pictures of the Brackenridge Sky ride, I stumbled upon these two little treasures.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I now present you actual pictures of the original interior of North Star Mall!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-north-star-mall1.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part I-north-star-mall-2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio