Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2007, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories Galore View Post
Oh, my heavens....YES!!!!! We (all of my brothers and sisters and me) remember it well and have the pics to prove it. Funny you should mention it. My sister and I are very much into scrapbooking. She is working on scrapbooks for her son (my nephew) and she is working on the pics of him on the little pony. when he was a toddler, the people with the pony and pics came around, to my Mom's house on the southside, and she had his picture taken. Of course, they were in color and not black/white like ours, but still cute! But, we haven't seen the company or pony since.....

I have a picture of myself on the pony. I was about 5. We lived over on that side of town. Then we moved out by Lackland, there was nothing but farmland and cows. I started school at St. Mark's downtown, across from Travis Park. My mom moved back over by Steves and Goliad. I love going over there. There are so many fun memories.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post
I loved reading these post, I have lived in SA most of my life and I remember a few of these places. I am 33 now, lived in SA from when I was born 73-78ish, moved back to SA 84-present. I use to get my clothes from Joskies and Ben Franklins. I grew up in Heritage NW we were one of the first familes to move into that negihborhood. I went to kindergarden at Adams Hill. I lived on gold hill street near Pease middle school, and their would be cows standing right where my bus stop was every mornning. When I moved back to SA in 82 my grandmother took me to the Wataburger on Marbach for the frist time, it was great. Does anyone remember the movie theater near John Jay. I went there to see Footloose with my grandmother. At the end of the movie people ran to the front and started dancing as the credits rolled. Till this day it is the stupidest thing I have ever seen a bunch of strangers just do on a hunch.

I remember when Potranco was two lanes. I was a skater when I was growing up, and there was a ditch near by where the Pope was to visit, we called it Pope ditch. I was there skating when the Pope towers fells because os high winds. I was also on Potranco with skateboard in hand in the Pope was leaving mass in the Popemobile, he waived at me and almost blinded me with that diamond ring looooon before BLINGIN was cool. We use to ride our bike up to where they were building Sea World to try to steal wood for ramp building. Anyone who lived in Heritage remembers the fire dept doing the Santa bit every winter throwing candy on every street.

My grandfather was the manager of Joskies at Las Palmas. Anyone remember Monty Biggs on Marbach, then it was changed to Fajita Junction? I remember when Westlakes Mall first opened I was in 4th grade and two girls got into a fight there...it was my first time seeing two people fight in public.
Wow my 5 year old son asked me to take him to the skatepark. I thought maybe he should start at a small, skatepark-like ditch. Somewhere I used to go. On a whim I googled "Pope ditch" and came across this site. I was there that inaugural session when the Pope JP came. That place seemed straight out of "720". Don't forget Wallows, Stoke, and Dugas. (OK dugas sucked).

"Yeah son, I spent a lot of my youth in drainage ditches, in fact that's how I met your mother. Now pop that tail!"

I will be there soon with my son, a large broom, and a big gulp, for old times sake.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:17 PM

13 posts, read 63,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories Galore View Post
funny you should mention this. I was just telling my 14 year old nephew about this I was really young when the blackout occurred and remember being afraid more than anything else. I remember my parents talking about how nothing like this had ever happened and stnding outside with my parents and their neighbors and listening to the radio (not sure which of the stations may have had power) about when the power would come back. And I remember my older sister getting a t-shirt with a logo or slogan that said she survived the blackout. I thought it was 1979 but it could be 1977. Thanks for sharing!

I used to live at the old Raintree Apartments on Oakhill near Holmes High School in 77. I remember it because it was the same year as the more famous NY blackout during the Summer. It was real quiet and people were wondering if we would go the night without power. We were elated when the power was turn back on just after sunset.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:19 PM

13 posts, read 63,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexkwandosatx View Post
does anyone remember when the Photon place was here...i think it was where the bowling alley is off of I 10 and dezevala...anyone?
Greetings Photon warriors!! Enough said? I don't know what's there now as I live in Tempe, AZ.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:35 AM

284 posts, read 1,087,205 times
Default blackout

"Does anyone remember the San Antonio blackout in the Fall of 1977? I was working at my first job (Dairy Queen on Pleasanton Road) when it happened."

We were trying to eat dinner at the Bonanza on Callaghan Road when the lights went out. We had just ordered our food, which they could not prepare since there was no electricity. I was attending Pat Neff Middle School at the time and in the Neff "newspaper" that came out shortly after the blackout, they printed responses to the question, "Where were you when the lights went out?".

Old 08-01-2007, 09:33 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,153,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
I was talking about the hot dog stand Der Wienerschnitzel. I didn't think they were in the mall. Seems kinda classy for a hot dog stand. They had steep A frame roofs much like old Whataburger stands. They still exist, but I don't know if the A frames are probably gone.
Hey Irnag..I knew I had got the names of the restaurants mixed up in my last post. I know what you're speaking about now..in fact, just two miles from my home is a Der Wienerschnitzel and it's always busy. No A-frame design though..it looks just like any other fast food eatery.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 AM

159 posts, read 784,873 times
Quote:
Wow my 5 year old son asked me to take him to the skatepark. I thought maybe he should start at a small, skatepark-like ditch. Somewhere I used to go. On a whim I googled "Pope ditch" and came across this site. I was there that inaugural session when the Pope JP came. That place seemed straight out of "720". Don't forget Wallows, Stoke, and Dugas. (OK dugas sucked).

"Yeah son, I spent a lot of my youth in drainage ditches, in fact that's how I met your mother. Now pop that tail!"

I will be there soon with my son, a large broom, and a big gulp, for old times sake.
Yes sir that was the fab four of the NW side Pope, Wallows, Stoke and Dugas. Dugas wasa the first ditch I ever skated...and yes it did suck after day one. My friends and I lived near Pope, we found that ditch because we were looking for wood to "borrow" (those houses were just going up)to make ramps. We knew of every place to skate on that side of town and plenty of skaters and nobody ever mentioned this ditch. We knew we stumbled on a gold mine, it looked just like the Animal Chin ramp in ditch form. We told people and they told people and so on. It got to the point we would go and there would be so many people there, it would just suck. Then the graffiti and the trash came. Wallows was ok when it was dry, it was better when I was real young and couldnt skate we would just ride tubes down the whole ditch when it would flood. Stock ditch was real good if you were a good skater, I loved this ditch. I could even wall ride it on my bike (got into Freestyle in high school). Even after high school a few friends and I would rollerblade downtown a lot, one day I took them to Stoke and put on a show for them. Ive had a lot of good times in high school, college and in my young adult years, but nothing beats my skater years. It was pure, it was clean fun and it was all day everyday.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:57 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,884 times
Magic Time Machine. That place opened out senior year in high school and 6 or 7 people ate for 50 bucks. How times have changed.

One other place if anyone remembers, Sills Snack Shack on Austin Highway just up the street from Broadway. Those wonderful bean burgers. Yummy Buddy Boy!!!

Old 08-01-2007, 01:32 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,218 times
Is the Pope Ditch still there?

Old 08-01-2007, 05:37 PM

55 posts, read 232,651 times
Hey tcs, where you been? On the subject of burgers I heard/read somewhere
that at Chris Madrid's the actual bar in back is the bar from Crystal Pistol.
Any enlightenment available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio