Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 10:40 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5 View Post

Thanks Rob those are awesome.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
Coney Island was the best hangout for St. Mary's School Panthers. Back in the late 60's hot dogs and bottled sodas were 15 cents each. The juke box would give you 3 songs for a Quarter.

Having attended St. Mary's School, there was no turnover in employees at the Coney. All the employees knew the students on a first name basis.

If you were an altarboy at St. Mary's and you served the 8AM daily student Mass that had a funeral, you could sneak over to the Coney and spend your tip that the funeral directors would give, then off to school.

Before Friday night Boy Scout meetings held in the basement of St. Mary's Church many of us would meet at the Coney Island.

Too bad Coney Island is gone.

I also remember a short lived hot dog place called "Poor Pierre's," located in back of Walgreens on College street.

There is a place i went to eat in Houston called James Coney Island, is this the same one? It says they have been around since 1923. The hotdogs were awesome and they sell deleware punch.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:21 AM

262 posts, read 910,768 times
Default San Antonio Coney Island

I doubt if the Coney Island in Houston is connected to the one that was downtown San Antonio on St. Mary's street. I recall a sign in the SA Coney that stated something like "Since 1920's."

SA Coney used to serve Delaware Punch in bottles in the 60's also.

I recall sometime later maybe in the late 70's or early 80's the Coney Island moved to Broadway street across from Brackenridge Park. They did not last long there.

I wish I had a brown bag of a couple of steaming SA Coneys right now!

Old 07-30-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
I doubt if the Coney Island in Houston is connected to the one that was downtown San Antonio on St. Mary's street. I recall a sign in the SA Coney that stated something like "Since 1920's."

SA Coney used to serve Delaware Punch in bottles in the 60's also.

I recall sometime later maybe in the late 70's or early 80's the Coney Island moved to Broadway street across from Brackenridge Park. They did not last long there.

I wish I had a brown bag of a couple of steaming SA Coneys right now!
I will email the corporate office and see if it is them, the hotdogs were awesome and the delware punch was great.

On the way back stopped at a place in Luling called Bucees its a big travel gift gasoline store and on the fountain drinks they had Frostie root beer. Anyone remember that.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,074 times
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger! I still remember Joske's theme song, heard it so often over the radio!

Ruth M., S.A.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:58 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memories Galore View Post
Ozzy - tell me more about this underground passage. I didn't know it existed and if it's still accessible, I think I'd like to give it a try.
I think he speaks of the riverwalk extension built for hemisphere in '68. It used to terminate at the convention center but I think now it goes beyond that.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:06 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,280 times
I was talking about the hot dog stand Der Wienerschnitzel. I didn't think they were in the mall. Seems kinda classy for a hot dog stand. They had steep A frame roofs much like old Whataburger stands. They still exist, but I don't know if the A frames are probably gone.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:59 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
I think he speaks of the riverwalk extension built for hemisphere in '68. It used to terminate at the convention center but I think now it goes beyond that.
Yes. That's probably the same one. It's actually not a major walk or anything as I implied earlier. But basically, starting from the Rivercenter, take the left sidewalk, turn left with river. It will take you straight there.

I guess it's been there a long time, but I just didn't know about it until I recently discovered it.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:18 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post
Yes I do. I was owner by the guy who owned Bob's Bikes, on the NW side next to where the Alamo draft house is now. He was the only guy for a while who had a skate shop on that side of town (before Team Bruce's Skate Shop) he made a small fortune. There was a small crew of us who hung out there everyday, next to where Ledgens is now was a ditch (still there and still used by skates) where we would skate all the time. Bob built that park and let us all skate there before it opened to the public. It wasnt all that because it was all concrete, (not like todays parks) but we still had fun. Now the community park near my house has a skate park. We would have killed for that, the skaters now a days dont know how we pathed the way for them. We use to were that "Skateborading is not a CRIME" T-shirts lol, people would treat us like a gang when all we were doing was trying to skate.
I use to go there quite a bit as well. The concrete "bowl" they had was hilarious. The transitions were so bad it was barely usable. It was better than nothing I guess.

I started skating again a few months ago when my buddy drug me out to Lady Bird. Forgot how much fun it is. I wish there were some free standing halfpipes in town. Busting your rear in the cement bowl hurts big time!

Old 07-31-2007, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 14,351 times
Does anybody remember floyd's dairy bar or highland hills pharmacy on the southside? I do remember going to luby's on sunday at mccrelles mall and getting the "fried fish square" coverd with tartar sauce. we then moved to the ne side and i grad. from roosevelt in '78. Any body remember going out to robard's and hunting and seeing "Donkey Lady" and her husband who took care of the old donkeys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio