Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 PM

20 posts, read 69,077 times

Advertisements

The statue across from Incarnate word has no glamourous tale to go with it. It was a statue ordered from a catalog and the head was lost in transit. The owner put it up anyway.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM

29 posts, read 173,855 times
look what i saw today

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ts/MARQUEE.jpg
:shifty:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...sets/YCSC2.jpg
how DARE they graffiti on my mall

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...sets/ycscs.jpg

poor mccreless
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ssets/mcs2.jpg

Last edited by Fujifrontier; 10-09-2007 at 01:48 PM..

Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,309,965 times
Here's a questions for the forum, does any body know the relationship between Murf's Better Burger and Burger Boy on St. Mary's? I've heard that both where descended from the original Whopper Burger. I know Burger Boy is for sure, it's owned by the Bates family who owned Whopper Burger. They still have a Bates special there. I took my wife there for lunch today and asked the lady behind the counter if they had any association with Murf's and she said no, they were two seperate companies. The food is essentialy the same at both places and all of them are in old Whopper Burger restaurants. I sm just curious what the story is behind them. Let me know, thanks!

Old 10-09-2007, 02:33 PM

25 posts, read 79,616 times
TCS: yes the frost bank time is still around. Funny, I call it when the power goes out and I need to reset my clocks.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:36 PM

15 posts, read 70,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Also there was an all-ages club out near the Northside Stadium that I used to go to after the games - I can't remember its name though.

Why do I think it was called the 'teen canteen'? Great place.
Teen Canteen was next to the Northeast stadium by 281 and Bitters. ZZ Top played there way back as a road band.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:41 PM

29 posts, read 173,855 times
I want to meet the Frost Bank Time Lady, does anyone know who she really is?

(edit: I KNOW it's an automated system... but the voice is a real lady...)

Old 10-09-2007, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,983 times
Default There are more missing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
That's a great list. I should know, I was the guy on the other side of the cube. There's a few there even I forgot.

Speaking of things that don't exist anymore:
US Long Distance, Billing Concepts, Billserve, and freakin' Aptis Software (that last one, I try hard to forget!)
Builders Square was headquartered in the old Datapoint building off of Wurzbach and I-10...they are all gone.

Going back a ways....Ben Franklin 5 & Dime across the street from Ben Franklin Elementary on West Ave. We used to get our school supplies there.
Across the street from that was Parker's Drug Store that had a soda fountain and other great stuff for a kid to spend a $0.50 allowance on. Around the corner on Olmos Dr. was Olmos Grocery with a screen door with the Rainbow Bread ad painted on the front....there was a meat market in the very back. The old couple who owned it would give me bones for my dog...all gone!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,983 times
Default Piggly Wiggly #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I know there was defintely one on 4-10 near Marbach, on the left side of the road if you were driving to Lackland. We used to go out to church on base when I was a kid and we drove by that store (sometimes stopped) every Sunday.
I worked at the Piggly Wiggly at 1950 Bandera Rd. from 1970 - 1975...It stayed open for another year after I left, but lost business to the new Albertson's store that opened at Bandera and 410 (now gone!). It closed about the same time as all of the others. I have photos of the inside and out of that store...the building was turned into a church at one time, but is empty now. There was another one further down Bandera towards town...forgot the intersection.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 PM

48 posts, read 376,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMullins View Post
I worked at the Piggly Wiggly at 1950 Bandera Rd. from 1970 - 1975...It stayed open for another year after I left, but lost business to the new Albertson's store that opened at Bandera and 410 (now gone!). It closed about the same time as all of the others. I have photos of the inside and out of that store...the building was turned into a church at one time, but is empty now. There was another one further down Bandera towards town...forgot the intersection.
WOW,

Can you post the pictures that you have?

Hopefully,

Maxus

Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,918,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortscorner View Post
Remember when the nuns laid down in front of the buldozers to stop 281 from going through Incarnate Word? It made Walter Cronkite that night.
I assume that it didn't work as 281 runs between ICU and ICHS. I'm trying to picture what it would have been like before that. Some kind of giant hill between the schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio