Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 07:47 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX38 View Post
i am sure it has come up before but remeber little hipps near downtown and all the fuss
when it closed down Just FYI but Timbo on Peal park way is little hipps reopened
they moved to Spring Branch after little hipps closed and now they are back in town
same great food and the same tables ( Cold beer too ) Tim Lane still runs the place Welcome To Timbo's - Cold Beer, Good Food, & Good Cheer!
Wow..that's great to know! I spent a lot of time hanging out at Little Hipps while growing up in SA...especially during college. Good to know that it's been reborn in Timbo's. Thanks...next time I'm down at my folks, I'll have to venture out and try it!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:27 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
I think that Armadillos is not as good as Little Hipps, will have to try Timbo's.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:28 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Default Colonies North Mall

Who remembers Colonies North Mall (Wurzbach & I-10)? It has gone through many changes over the years. But as I child I remember there was a night club on the inside next to the Winns. I believe it was San Antonio Rose (a country bar)..and it's last incarnation was Images (a teen club). But I think it was a few more popular places that I can't remember. I remember there was a neon rainbow outside the place. Anyone remember what other clubs were there. If anyone has any photos from "back in the day"...that would be great.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 AM

61 posts, read 257,811 times
Forget Little Hipp's...Hipp's Bubble Room was fantastic!

At that time you could drink at 18, and since I was bigger than a house, I started going there at 16...WAY too kewl/funky/swanky bar...I actually did my college dorm room like it...nets, train, balls, starfish...very very kewl place. I can get a cold beer and burger anyplace...there will never be a place like the Bubble Room.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Who remembers Colonies North Mall (Wurzbach & I-10)? It has gone through many changes over the years. But as I child I remember there was a night club on the inside next to the Winns. I believe it was San Antonio Rose (a country bar)..and it's last incarnation was Images (a teen club). But I think it was a few more popular places that I can't remember. I remember there was a neon rainbow outside the place. Anyone remember what other clubs were there. If anyone has any photos from "back in the day"...that would be great.
I remember going to the movies there a few times, going to Winn's, also shopping at Handy Andy. I know the mall is now enclosed since you cant exit to the mall from any of the stores.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:24 AM

34 posts, read 107,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
Forget Little Hipp's...Hipp's Bubble Room was fantastic!

At that time you could drink at 18, and since I was bigger than a house, I started going there at 16...WAY too kewl/funky/swanky bar...I actually did my college dorm room like it...nets, train, balls, starfish...very very kewl place. I can get a cold beer and burger anyplace...there will never be a place like the Bubble Room.
i have hear that it was great but just a little before my time
but i could buy beer at 18
we use to pick up beer a Muphy's on Clark going at the drive up
the guy would walk out and ask what we want we would tell him a 6 pack of
Lone star or Schiltz ( this was before lite beer ) (we started this at 16)
and Muphy's is still there

Old 10-11-2007, 09:16 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
Default Colonies North Mall

The places I remember in Colonies North Mall..and parking are:
Handy Andy
A Drug Store (Sommers, then Revco or Walgreens)
Winns
A pet Store....I don't remember the name
Colonies North Twin - the Theater...I remember seein Jaws II there. Scholotzsky's
A Picture Frame shop
A barber shop
There was a small US post office in the middle of it.
The nightclub

Across the parking lot was Dante's Pizza, Trend House Furniture, a Dairy Queen, and J's ice House

Old 10-11-2007, 09:50 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX38 View Post
i have hear that it was great but just a little before my time
but i could buy beer at 18
we use to pick up beer a Muphy's on Clark going at the drive up
the guy would walk out and ask what we want we would tell him a 6 pack of
Lone star or Schiltz ( this was before lite beer ) (we started this at 16)
and Muphy's is still there
We used to do the same thing at Neal's Icehouse on S. Presa. We would buy quarts of Schlitz when we were 17 or 18. That was before they lowered the drinking age. Sometimes the old guy would tell us that the LCB had been watching him and he would put our beer in the bottom of a sack with a loaf of bread sticking out the top. So we had to buy the bread too.

My mom would always be asking me why I was bringing home bread when we didn't need any. I would tell her that I was at some store and it was on sale. Then she started asking where this store was where they always had such great prices.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:06 AM

34 posts, read 107,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
We used to do the same thing at Neal's Icehouse on S. Presa. We would buy quarts of Schlitz when we were 17 or 18. That was before they lowered the drinking age. Sometimes the old guy would tell us that the LCB had been watching him and he would put our beer in the bottom of a sack with a loaf of bread sticking out the top. So we had to buy the bread too.

My mom would always be asking me why I was bringing home bread when we didn't need any. I would tell her that I was at some store and it was on sale. Then she started asking where this store was where they always had such great prices.
when they were being watch by the TABC we would look in the bag and find a 6 pack of Big Red or Coke we would be like what a let down and the next time we went back they would let us know what was going on

Old 10-11-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
The places I remember in Colonies North Mall..and parking are:
Handy Andy
A Drug Store (Sommers, then Revco or Walgreens)
Winns
A pet Store....I don't remember the name
Colonies North Twin - the Theater...I remember seein Jaws II there. Scholotzsky's
A Picture Frame shop
A barber shop
There was a small US post office in the middle of it.
The nightclub

Across the parking lot was Dante's Pizza, Trend House Furniture, a Dairy Queen, and J's ice House
Where was dairy queen located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio