Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 07:03 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,370,704 times

Advertisements

Wow...haven't been to this thread in a while. I think 156 pages MUST be a record breaker!!!

RE: Lookout Point

I don't remember the details on Lookout point, but I know it was discussed extensively about 100 pages back! I think there is some truth to that hill being a Lookout in early San Antonio/Bexar County history because it is indicated on very old maps from early surveys of Bexar County. The actual Tower was not constructed until the early to mid 1900's and was never completed. There was an article that was quoted by the daughter of the man that started the construction. He has long since passed away.

Basically most of the information is based on some facts.....but maybe just mixed up a little in the timeline.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:12 PM

20 posts, read 68,949 times
The commanche lookout tower was built more out of boredom than anything else. They later thought they could charge an admission fee but not a steady enough clientel, at least that's what the man's sister told me in the mid 60's

Does anyone remember when the Goodyear blimp was stationed here for a few years in the late 60's? I remember several times hearing a soft purr and then looking up to see the blimp slowly cross overhead and block out the sun, like some gentle whale. It was not unusual to look at the skyline of the city and see the blimp slowly make it's way around the town. that combined with the Jetson-like tower of the americas gave SA a cool Blade Runner look.

I left SA 10 years ago and was back last year for a few hours. Can' t believe Central Park could be gone. I remember Mickey Mantle's, the Handy Andy.

And Earl Abels, GONE! That as the half way point from the outskirts to downtown when driving down Broadway, where Henry B Gonzales lost his cool, where Kenedy drove past that day before Dallas. Earl Abels saw so much.

Does anyone remember the Indian and his pony that was always, rain or shine outside the Tee-Pee restaurant on Austin Highway? He was paid I guess. I remember the Cowboy on Hilderbrant and San Pedro, looked like he was out of a Tom Mix movie.

There was a Der Wienersnitzle across from the Witte Museum on Broadway.

Remember when the nuns laid down in front of the buldozers to stop 281 from going through Incarnate Word? It made Walter Cronkite that night.

Do they still have elephant rides at the Zoo?

Do kids still go to the Planetarium at SAC? The entire universe in such a small little dome.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:20 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times
Well, I am glad to report that the Humble Gas Station--albeit covered in grafitti--still stands. We drove out there this afternoon as I just had to know if the thing still existed, and was happy to see it did.

Cheers! M2

Old 10-08-2007, 08:28 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,040,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Well, I am glad to report that the Humble Gas Station--albeit covered in grafitti--still stands. We drove out there this afternoon as I just had to know if the thing still existed, and was happy to see it did.

Cheers! M2
That would make a great-looking restaurant with some TLC.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:58 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,435,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortscorner View Post
The commanche lookout tower was built more out of boredom than anything else. They later thought they could charge an admission fee but not a steady enough clientel, at least that's what the man's sister told me in the mid 60's

Does anyone remember when the Goodyear blimp was stationed here for a few years in the late 60's? I remember several times hearing a soft purr and then looking up to see the blimp slowly cross overhead and block out the sun, like some gentle whale. It was not unusual to look at the skyline of the city and see the blimp slowly make it's way around the town. that combined with the Jetson-like tower of the americas gave SA a cool Blade Runner look.

I left SA 10 years ago and was back last year for a few hours. Can' t believe Central Park could be gone. I remember Mickey Mantle's, the Handy Andy.

And Earl Abels, GONE! That as the half way point from the outskirts to downtown when driving down Broadway, where Henry B Gonzales lost his cool, where Kenedy drove past that day before Dallas. Earl Abels saw so much.

Does anyone remember the Indian and his pony that was always, rain or shine outside the Tee-Pee restaurant on Austin Highway? He was paid I guess. I remember the Cowboy on Hilderbrant and San Pedro, looked like he was out of a Tom Mix movie.

There was a Der Wienersnitzle across from the Witte Museum on Broadway.

Remember when the nuns laid down in front of the buldozers to stop 281 from going through Incarnate Word? It made Walter Cronkite that night.

Do kids still go to the Planetarium at SAC? The entire universe in such a small little dome.
Question for you, where was the Mickey Mantle at Central park mall located.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:46 AM

20 posts, read 68,949 times
Mickey Mantles was on the 410 side, outside between the Handy Andy and I forget what the anchor store was at the west end of the mall. Anyone remember what that anchor store was on the west end of Central Park?

So they no longer have cowboy breakfast at Central Park Mall before the rodeo evey year?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:54 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,607,236 times
Quote:
It has been reported to me that Earl Abels has reopened in another location. I did a net search and sure enough, their web site confirms they have reopened at Terrell Plaza. I wonder what new things they will see over the next 50 years?

Quote:

They stopped the elephant rides in the late 70's early 80's, I think. There was a spat of incidents across the country where the elephants would take their frustration out on the kids riding so they stopped the rides before anything happened here I was told. When things had calmed down and there was thought to restart them, the liability insurance was a big issue. I have not heard that the rides were ever restarted.

My daughter got to do a planetarium visit in the mid 90's, but my son never did even though he was 5 years older. The planetarium was one of my favorite field trips in elementary school back in the 60's - 70's.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:10 AM

61 posts, read 257,920 times
The new Earl Abel's is not owned by the same people...I haven't been...it just can't be the same without the 40 year old red carpet!

Old 10-09-2007, 07:13 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronguy View Post
There has been some mention of midget mansion too, that is a vague memory for me, I dont know if I ever saw that or not. Was that in the I10 Callahagn area? Anyone know any details about that place? Where it was? What it looked like? How did it get that name? Any story surrounding it?
I don't know the detailed history....but Midget Mansion is where the present day Promitory Pointe Apartments ....but on the backside where the street Donore makes a 90 degree turn(Next to Donore Square Subdivision). It got the name Midget Mansion, because the house had what is called a dumb waiter...which is a very small elevator for moving food and laundry between floors...so people assumed midgets lived there. There was a pool and a pool house with basement rooms. In the 80's it was a hang out for teenage rock & roll devil worshipers. First the house went, then came the pool. The final nail in the coffin was when the police was called out there for the usual teenage buffonery..and they found booby traps with rattlesnakes. The bulldozers soon followed...and then apartments were built over it. I am open to any corrections anyone has on it...I don't claim to be an expert on Midget Mansion.

Speaking of Donore Square Subdivision....there is where the County Clerk that stole all the dead peoples money and bought like 7 Ferraris lived. I think his name was Spillman? I had a roommate from college, and his parents lived in there, and I can remember seeing his house with all the Ferraris in the garage.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:18 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,607,236 times
Yes, you are right. The Abel family did sell the restaurant, but it is a continuation of Earl Abel's. This is done all the time in the industry. Let us hope it works and they kept enough of the old restaurant under the new ownership and can carry forward the tradition as they hope. It is usually when the new owners think they can do things better or don't have the continuity of staff or recipes that things change too much too soon.

munerider, maybe they knew your carpet fetish and kept a piece for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio