Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 11:44 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotajonmac View Post
I went to the Winn's on Nogalitos. Do you remember the other major stores in that little strip center? Surma's Bakery, best sugar cookies ever, and the Somers Drug Store, best chocolate malts in SA. Also down the street do you remember Gyro's drive inn? How about saving your S & H green stamps or Texas Gold stamps? What did you get?
Did anyone wear Kaepa tennis shoes, the one's with the two different shoelaces on each shoe, made in SA?
Surma's had some awesome brownies, they were the best ever. Sommers drug store wow another name from the past. As for Gyro's I actually ate lunch there a year ago its still good.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:06 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Surma's had some awesome brownies, they were the best ever. Sommers drug store wow another name from the past. As for Gyro's I actually ate lunch there a year ago its still good.
Sommers, Revco and Skillerns (I think that what it was), did those become Eckerds and Revco?
Anyone remember those pastries at Centeno's?

Old 06-13-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
Sommers, Revco and Skillerns (I think that what it was), did those become Eckerds and Revco?
Anyone remember those pastries at Centeno's?
Centeno's supermarkets another name from the past, I remember the one on Southcross which was a big "superstore:.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 PM

7 posts, read 69,744 times
I'm a 1964 graduate of Marshall High School. I'm almost certain the winner of the Spirit contest (KONO) was Marshall High School. I remember well the fact everyone concentrated on getting student signatures for the contest even more than on their studies during the contest. Ah! The memories!

Old 06-13-2007, 04:17 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,155,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomer46 View Post
I'm a 1964 graduate of Marshall High School.
Interesting...I graduated in the early 80s from there. I can't imagine how far out in the country the school was back then...or how far you had to drive before you were in traffic and SA growth. I'd love to hear your recollections some time...I know that Marshall was the only high school then but Holmes was opening soon and then Jay a couple years later...what a drive some had if they lived over by Lackland AFB/Valley Hi and had to drive all the way to MHS...private message me if you get a chance or maybe you wouldn't mind posting some recollections on here of how the NW area was, back in the late 50s and 60s!! Thanks!

Old 06-13-2007, 04:50 PM

I used to live in that area in Marshall Meadows, would like to know too how life was back in the 50's and 60's in that area.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:00 PM

61 posts, read 257,877 times
Default The Abbey???????

The Abbey? TOO funny...Stillwater and the Abbey...virtually the same...haven't thought of that name in yrs...yes, Gary and crew stil get together...Clemens 77 here!l

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjw View Post
I only remember these - great memories!
*Lubianski's Hall
*La Lousianne...I grew up nasty poor...I hoped to eat at Earl Abel's one day (yeah, THAT poor)...and really wanted to make L.L...sorry it disappeared before I could experience it.
*Felix's coffe shop at the Kon-Tiki...was a martini lounge, w/o the martinis...WAY freakin' kewl.
*Leon's, his brother's, right across the street...they don't talk, still...but both good businessmen and family men. (Adella, I still love you!!!)
*Stillwater, local group...Gary, Tom, Mark, Lisa.

What about The Abbey at Lubinaski's? They still get together now and then and play. I haven't heard them in decades. At that time I lived on FM1518 between Schertz and I10. Lubinaski's was THE place to go.

La Louisanne - I ate there a couple of times and the food was great.

Felix's/Leon's - Ate at both of them a lot of years ago. I preferred Felix's.

Stillwater - I'll bet my mom or dad still has their picture in a box somewhere, They were wearing the old western clothes and it was in a barnwood frame and it hung on the wall in our living room. I remember them going to parties at our house in the late 70's (?).

Old 06-13-2007, 08:02 PM

61 posts, read 257,877 times
bobby?????????

Old 06-14-2007, 09:12 AM

139 posts, read 504,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
The Abbey? TOO funny...Stillwater and the Abbey...virtually the same...haven't thought of that name in yrs...yes, Gary and crew stil get together...Clemens 77 here!l
I believe they played at the Golden Stallion all the time.

Who used to go to the BBP Blue Bonnet Palace?? Or the Texas Dance Hall. I saw Garth Brooks there for $5 I also saw the Judds for around the same IT was way before they were famous . At the BBP I got on stage with Charley Daniels. Just dancing and chit with my wife. He was a nice guy. The Music, Rock and Country Scene, was pretty good in an around SA. I have another Claim to fame. I was flying out of SA on business one day. We are in our seats and I tell my buddy. Hey there is Jimmy Page. He says no way. I say Yep I know him anywhere. About this time a person with a Jimmy Page tour jacket gets on. Their in First class so when his wife gets up, I make my Move. Got his auto and told him, he was the greatest Guitar Player I have ever seen Blah Blah Blah. He was a very nice guy. OF course when his wife got back. I had to go back into my Sardine Seat. Even when we flew Into O 'Hare, I was getting off the Plane and I feal a tug on my Shirt. I look around and he says Thanks for your support Mate. It seems that there was always some kind of signings in SA. Sound Warhouse moved into SA and that was the cheapest place to get Records. I went to a Cheap Trick Signing there. All Though it was the Cheapest I think I went to Flip Side more. They had underground comics there too and IMports. There was also a big rumor floating around that if you knew the password, you could buy Dope there. LOL Wasn't into that So I never knew if it was true. Who was the Band that had those tshirts made up from there song of Disco Sucks. I remember Legs Diamond was big in the SA area. I also remember hanging out at the Comedore Swim Club and listening to Rick Deringer on 8 Track. Times were pretty good then.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 AM

21 posts, read 104,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Question for everyone, which Winn's store did you go to?
Austin Highway and Lanark -- Town North shopping center near Wonder Bowl. In that shopping center there was also a Piggly Wiggly, a barber shop, and a few other stores. The Piggly Wiggly is now a huge thrift store. Not sure about the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio