Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 10:48 AM

9 posts, read 44,036 times

Advertisements

Fred Gomez Carrasco was the heroin drug lord...he was arrested in a bloody shot out at the El Tejas Motel on Roosevelt Ave in July of 1973, He later staged a prison breakout in Huntsville, TX in July of 1974 and was shoot to death following an 11 day hostage hold of prison staff.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:50 AM

9 posts, read 44,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Speaking of Joe "Kingpin" Carrasco, (the druglord) he met his demise at the Apartments there at Babcock and Callaghan. The Royal Arms? I can't remember what they were called.

The above is totally wrong. I must have just dreamed this or too small when it became a memory. Anyway the Kingpin was Fred Carrasco and he met his demise somewhere else.
Fred Gomez Carrasco was the heroin drug lord...he was arrested in a bloody shot out at the El Tejas Motel on Roosevelt Ave in July of 1973, He later staged a prison breakout in Huntsville, TX in July of 1974 and was shoot to death following an 11 day hostage hold of prison staff.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:06 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,158,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBAD View Post
I was a young kid then but I remember hearing that on the news all the time and seeing it on the front page of the San Antonio Light...I especially remember the 11 day hostage hold of the prison staff in Huntsville.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:24 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,438,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
Wasn't there a Ocean Pacific Store in Windsor or was that Pat Magees. I had some OP Shirts and a Jacket Also there was a suffer line called Lighting Bolt. I had some of those shirts too.
I thought it was Pat Magee's but I could be wrong.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBAD View Post
I remember seeing an news piece on that a few years ago, the EL Tejas motel is still there.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:05 PM

28 posts, read 148,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb0580 View Post
How I miss these places everyone is mentioning! I was born in May of 1980, but I still have fond recollections of such fast food eateries like GW Jr's, Pizza Inn, Jim's Frontier Burgers, and Pistol Pete's Pizza.
I remember the cool, brick interior of the Pizza Inn near the corner of Hildebrand and San Pedro, which now houses a law firm. Remember the hand-tossed pizzas and "pizzerts"? I still have a red plastic pencil box dated 1984, with a little cartoon drawing of a man tossing pizza dough in the air.
Another place my family and I frequented was the Jim's Frontier at the corner of Fredericksburg and Club Drive. It was demolished a while back, and now a pawn shop stands there. How I miss the 60's decor: "hanging plants", the plastic circular booths. The charbroiled hamburgers were so good, too! I can still taste the pickles and mayonnaise oozing out of them.
My sister and I celebrated many of our birthdays at Pistol Pete's Pizza. Does anyone remember that place off of Bandera? I miss the rides, ski ball, cotton candy machine and the prizes, but especially the carousel! The pizza wasn't too great, as I recall (kind of tasted like Peter Piper Pizza), but we always had a good time.
I wish I could remember more about GW Jr's, but I think it closed in the early 80's.
Does anyone know when Murf's Better Burger was founded? I'm curious to try their hamburgers, because it looks so original, but I haven't heard anything about them. They don't even have a website. Email me or reply with any answers you may have. Thanks!

Boy, do I remember Frontier burgers on Fredericksburg Rd.! I used to eat there all the time after school when I went to Jefferson HS. They had the Char Grill right behind the counter where you could see the burgers cooking. I can smell them now!

I was the night closing manager at Pistol Petes Pizza when I was going to St. Mary's University. In fact I was working the night we got fourteen inches of snow in Jan. of 1985. By the time I got out at 2 A.M. all of us had to dig out our cars to see which was which (ha ha!) It was hard to get out of the parking lot as it was shaped like a bowl and my 1975 Malibu Classic had no traction.

Thanks for the memories! MLeahy

Old 06-21-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus40 View Post
I remember the Varsity Drive-In at what is now the HEB Mercado at Culebra and Bandera. I used to live on Dokes Drive which is immediately south. We could actually hear the movie sound from the old metal window hanging speakers.

Nearbye was Jim's Frontier Burger and also an Italian Pizza place owned by the late KISS/KMAC legend Joe Anthony.

Across Bandera was the Tall Texan with the best mayo and shredded sesame seed burgers in town.

Further west going down Culebra (when it was a potholed two lanes) was a cantina that had a painted image of a sihlouetted lady that looked like a doodoo was coming out. Sounds weird but some people actually remember that.

At McMullen and Culebra was a seafood place called First Mate (I think) that was owned by Captain Gus and had a red spinning light at the top of the sign.

There was small burger joint that had an outdoor drive up. It was owned by a very nice Korean man and you could get a good burger fries and drink for only $2.15 -tax included and that was in 1995 near the time it changed ownership. It was on Bandera road just past the old KP's on Cincinnatti.

I remember GW Jr's with an outstanding cheeseburger and brightly colored foil wrappers.
Maxus, I remember the hamburger stand owned by the older Korean man, he was the nicest person. He also made the best strawberry shake! Shame it is gone.....

Old 06-21-2007, 01:25 PM

MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION

Does anyone have any interior pics of the Joske's downtown? If so can you post them please.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Anyone remember the old handy andy at the corner of fredricksburg and woodlawn, the place is now a homeless shelter?
Yes, produce was on the right when you went in and the meat market was in the back.

Do you remember the Handy Andy at the intersection of Zarzamora & Cincinnati? Just down the street by Woodlawn Lake.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Remember when the old fujiya was at that corner.

Yes, it was only blocks from my house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio