Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 09:07 AM

139 posts, read 504,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Anyone remember a restaurant at the Corner of Miltary and Roosevelt? Forgot the name.
The Tall Texan

Or the other side Capt' Jims.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,880,453 times
Does anyone remember when the Tomatillo's Mexican restaurant on Broadway used to be some kind of Italian restaurant? Is this true? When did it change? This is the restaurant with the indoor fountain.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:36 AM

472 posts, read 1,793,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
*Sunken Gardens when it actually had water, koi, and a water fall
*The Sky Rider, of course
*Polo Grounds
*the "great train robbery" at Brakenridge Park
*The Gator tank/well
*KONO TV
*The Green Door
*Hung-Fong's...when it was good and actually had Chinese people working there
*JC Penney's...before it became the main library!
*the main library, when it was on the river.
I dont think it was JC Penny's. Wasnt it Joskes or Sears?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:28 AM

21 posts, read 105,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Yes I believe that is it, will look online to see if I can find something on that.
I've tried to find something about it over the years, but nothing's ever popped up. Maybe you'll have better luck. It was a shocker, though. I used to think he must be one of the sweetest big ol' country boys I'd ever met. Hmm....

Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,438,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
I dont think it was JC Penny's. Wasnt it Joskes or Sears?
It was a sears.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwolfman View Post
The Tall Texan

Or the other side Capt' Jims.
It's where I think Bill Millers stands now.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingtime View Post
I've tried to find something about it over the years, but nothing's ever popped up. Maybe you'll have better luck. It was a shocker, though. I used to think he must be one of the sweetest big ol' country boys I'd ever met. Hmm....
I have not found anything else.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:25 AM

305 posts, read 1,619,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Does anyone remember when the Tomatillo's Mexican restaurant on Broadway used to be some kind of Italian restaurant? Is this true? When did it change? This is the restaurant with the indoor fountain.
I remember going to Tomatillo's in the late 80's so it had to be before that.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:52 AM

16 posts, read 55,344 times
Yeah, that place -Earl Abel's- was like walking into an episode of the Twilight Zone. I ate there only once and it was really weird. There were a lot of blue-haired people -I think they were really stuck to the chairs; they looked like they had been going there for years- and the inside decor was like something out of an old 50's movie. Everything almost looked staged; I totally expected Frank Sinatra to jump out from behind some dated wall and start belting out a song with Tony Bennet. Please, somebody call HGTV now!!!!. No, really the place didn't need to be torn down; it just needed a fresh coat of paint and new carpet to cover up the 100 years of smoke embedded into the 100 year old carpet and stuck to the 100 year old paint. The food would have tasted better I guess if I didn't have the smell of old motel in my nostrils. I thought the little bar at the "front" with pies displayed on it was really quaint -you know coffeeshop-like. How 'bout the Pig Stands restaurant just down the street for going back in time. I went there a few times too. Sometimes I think about the pig-shaped restaurant near Brackenridge HS....will anybody save him? He's so adorable; I hope Bill Miller's doesn't doesn't just randomly get it into it's head that it needs to be torn down and turned into a parking lot. I sure could go for a pig sandwich and a black cow with a miniature jukebox nearby so I could pick my favorite oldies but goodies while I dine and dream about white wall tires, lots of chrome, neon signs and James Dean.

Last edited by mmz1140; 06-11-2007 at 12:03 PM..

Old 06-11-2007, 12:27 PM

16 posts, read 55,344 times
How interesting. I haven't read the Secret School but now I will in light of the stuff I've been reading about MK Ultra, Monarch Project and the other various gov't mind control programs. Warren McVae was the superstar from Brackneridge that took the team to state in the 50's I think. I walk by the trophy everyday -a rusty old cup now- that the team got when they won state. I used to think that one of my cousins was being abducted. She had really keen psychic abilities and any house she happens to live in is "haunted". My brother said that once in the 60's or early 70's he was visiting my cousins and he swears that he saw a U.F.O. hoovering outside of their house and then it disappeared. THis was near the Memorial HS area. My aunt would also tell my mom about things my cousin would say about guys in bio-hazard suits coming to her house -not in San Antonio. Then she would catch herself and immediately change the subject. I was never personally abducted by the "aliens" and taken to the Olmos basin alien school but a lot of weird things would happen to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio