Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 08:38 PM

14 posts, read 35,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgJeff View Post
I grew up near Fredericksburg and Babcock near Northwest Center. It had a Penneys and Piggly Wiggly for years, and a playground where kids could play while their moms shopped, no way any store would have that now days. The Handy Andy in Wonderland had a drive-thru place where you picked up your groceries after shopping. You went through the checkout and paid for your groceries and they gave you a card with a number on it. Then you went to your car and drove around to the side and they loaded your groceries in your car for you. The Tip Top still has the same deer heads on the wall it had in the 60s. There was a great mexican food place not far from Northwest Center called La Paloma. It was near the drive-in theatre. Remember calling Mr. Ms or any convenience store an "ice house"? I learned in college only San Antonians called them that. Anyone have photos of the huge Christmas tree in North Star Mall in the 60s? It was from the nursery out in the parking lot - North Star Garden Center. A relative of mine had the nursery and we went to see the tree every year. I remember "the Castle" - an old burned out resort somewhere out the NW toward 1604 like out Blanco. It had hot springs until the 1930s and supposedly FDR came there. But the hot springs ran out and the place closed and burned. It was a place to go get scared at night for teenagers in the 70s. Like looking for Donkey Lady. The miniature golf place on Fredericksburg is still open, now its considered a landmark. The original Jims is gone but at least the chain still exists, that is comfort food for me.
I used to work at the Handy Andy at wonderland and remember putting groceries in peoples cars in the drive through. I think the castle was off of Wurzbach or huebner. There was also a castle on vance jackson at St Marks Church. Northwest Center actually was one of the first outdoor malls of its type. It had a large court yard in the middle that had a playground for kids. There used to be a Texas State Optical there where I got my first pair of glasses there. There used to be a Whites store in that center also. In later years there used to be a large flea market, swap meet there. I still call convenience stores 'Ice House's' Whether they were Mr M's or Lone Star Ice House's. (My Mr M's were Cherry Ridge and 410 and Vance Jackson and 410. My Lone Star was Vance Jackson and Future) I remember the Christmas tree in northstar mall and my memories remember it being made up of poinsettias, both red and white ones and it was set up outside of Frost Brothers store.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 PM

14 posts, read 35,587 times
Default Ingram Park Mall

I remember there used to be a music store on the second floor just outside of sears I believe. I don't remember the name of the store but there used to be a guitar that I would go visit on a regular basis but alas it was out of my price range.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:22 AM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJTexas View Post
I used to work at the Handy Andy at wonderland and remember putting groceries in peoples cars in the drive through. I think the castle was off of Wurzbach or huebner. There was also a castle on vance jackson at St Marks Church. Northwest Center actually was one of the first outdoor malls of its type. It had a large court yard in the middle that had a playground for kids. There used to be a Texas State Optical there where I got my first pair of glasses there. There used to be a Whites store in that center also. In later years there used to be a large flea market, swap meet there. I still call convenience stores 'Ice House's' Whether they were Mr M's or Lone Star Ice House's. (My Mr M's were Cherry Ridge and 410 and Vance Jackson and 410. My Lone Star was Vance Jackson and Future) I remember the Christmas tree in northstar mall and my memories remember it being made up of poinsettias, both red and white ones and it was set up outside of Frost Brothers store.
I grew up in that area too. What amazes me (if I remember right) was that on Vance Jackson between I10 and 410 there was an HEB a MODEL MARKET a U-TOTEM two BEER JOINT's (one at MINK-still there, one at Beryl-long gone) a LONE STAR ICE HOUSE and a MR M. Wonderland Northwest Center were not that far either. . How did they all stay in business as long as they did?

Old 11-23-2008, 01:00 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJTexas View Post
I think the castle was off of Wurzbach or huebner.
Could this "castle" have been the algo diferente?The mansion that once stood where Elm Creek is now?

Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,364,236 times
Speaking of old houses, I can't imagine what/who decided to raze this one.

It was the last home of Col. George W Brackenridge and was located right off Burr Rd and Harry Wurzbach Rd by Fort Sam. After he passed away, Eleanor Brackenridge continued to live there....then the army wanted to acquire the residence as the Officers Club on the Post. It was brick and stone with a tile roof. The interior was finished with mahogany, pine and tile. It also had an elevator that operated from the basement to the attic. It was built after 1900 after Brackenridge sold his other residence to the college at Incarnate Word.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-23-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Could this "castle" have been the algo diferente?The mansion that once stood where Elm Creek is now?
GW.....here's your post about Algo Diferente with photos!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/1781316-post1694.html

Old 11-23-2008, 01:44 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,814,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Speaking of old houses, I can't imagine what/who decided to raze this one.

It was the last home of Col. George W Brackenridge and was located right off Burr Rd and Harry Wurzbach Rd by Fort Sam. After he passed away, Eleanor Brackenridge continued to live there....then the army wanted to acquire the residence as the Officers Club on the Post. It was brick and stone with a tile roof. The interior was finished with mahogany, pine and tile. It also had an elevator that operated from the basement to the attic. It was built after 1900 after Brackenridge sold his other residence to the college at Incarnate Word.

[IMG][/IMG]
Think it was in Bel Meade area or opposite side of Burr Rd.?? It was a monster, too bad it's gone!! You know 300 Garrity was three story with a dumbwaiter!!

Old 11-23-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Think it was in Bel Meade area or opposite side of Burr Rd.?? It was a monster, too bad it's gone!! You know 300 Garrity was three story with a dumbwaiter!!
Satx....The Belle Meade area was part of his property...I can't remember the total number of acres. I'm not sure where the house itself was located...but I'm definitely going to find out. Googie's new house may be sitting on historical land!
I read where Burr and Brackenridge both gave land to the government in order to create "Burr" Rd as a cut through to Harry Wurzbach (at that time Austin Rd)

This house wasn't just a monster....it was designed either by Alfred Giles or Atlee Ayers! There had to be some compelling reason it was torn down. Maybe it burned? I don't know. It's so tragic to see REAL quality architecture just be thrown away!

Old 11-23-2008, 07:47 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgJeff View Post
I remember "the Castle" - an old burned out resort somewhere out the NW toward 1604 like out Blanco. It had hot springs until the 1930s and supposedly FDR came there. But the hot springs ran out and the place closed and burned. It was a place to go get scared at night for teenagers in the 70s.
Welcome to the board...The Castle you are talking about sounds like Hot Wells..on the Southside? But there was a castle like structure on the far northside..the Fat Farm...which is now the Spring Hill even center?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Satx...just for clarification.....you are absolutely correct regarding the general location of the house.....I'm just not sure which side of Burr Rd it was on. My guess would be South of Burr Rd since the government wanted the house. (and I believe actually got it!)

The confusion is when Burr Rd was actually cut through....before or after this house was built? I don't have that info. Also as I think you already know, GWB owned thousands of acres very early on....obviously including Brack Park and a large section of Ft Sam. Burr Rd actually originally extended across Harry Wurzbach/Austin Rd....which was property still belonging to GWB at that time. (If you look at a present day aerial photo, you can see that the other side of HW is the golf course. Burr Rd followed all the way down to the Salado Creek and it follows a cart path in that direction!) I believe he owned all that strip below Garraty Rd....that he eventually started selling off. (part to Burr). The Country Club purchased their lot around 1905 approx...and then the area that ran between Ft Sam and Brack Park on either side of Broadway (before it was called Broadway...Ave C and River Ave paralleled) was eventually parceled out and developed. The section South of Hildebrand down to Manhke Park was originally called "Washington Heights" and was about 140 acres of land. This section was developed after his death.

Anyway...sorry if I'm being redundant....you may already know all this info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio