Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 12:23 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,850,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel G View Post
Reading through all the different posts brings back great memories. I was born 1969. During my elementary school years I remember field trips to Butter Krust bakery on Broadway St. At the end of the tour we were given a slice of buttered bread, a ruler, and a pencil. We loved Playland Park. We still have a couple of pictures that were taken there. My mom would shop at Solo Serve, La Feria, Kress, Winns, Kmart. She would get her glasses at TSO (Texas State Optical). My father would take us to Dunken Donuts on San Pedro Ave. to eat donuts with hot chocolate. I loved their blueberry muffins. They would put them in the microwave for a couple of seconds then they would cut it open and put butter in it. Mmmmm I can already taste it. We would watch at the window as they would prepare and cut the dough for the donuts. On the weekends we would go eat at Shakey's Pizza on Fredericksburg Rd. My sis and I would stand by the big window and watch as the man would make the pizza. We would go to San Pedro Park and swim in the creek. During my high school years I would skip school (bad girl) and go to the Aztec Theater. Later when I got married I maxed out my credit card at Montgomery Wards. (I think I still owe them). I also worked for La

Internacional Store for a couple of months. And I DO remember when Luby's was affordable for the whole family. All of those are just memories now that we can share with our kids.
Me too! on the Montgomery Wards thing.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 22,571 times
How about some of the signs that are still out there? Like Kress, TSO, I'm not too sure about Winn's

Old 07-28-2008, 12:32 PM

10 posts, read 22,571 times
we think about the past. but what about in the future when our newer generations think back on what was....... for example Bowie Elementary School on Colorado and Arbor St. It was recently closed. a school that was over 115 years old. a school where i attended and my children attended? it is sad to see so many schools closing.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:41 PM

472 posts, read 1,793,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel G View Post
we think about the past. but what about in the future when our newer generations think back on what was....... for example Bowie Elementary School on Colorado and Arbor St. It was recently closed. a school that was over 115 years old. a school where i attended and my children attended? it is sad to see so many schools closing.

I dont see them closing any on the Northside but how else are the poor gonna get poorer?

Old 07-28-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
I dont see them closing any on the Northside but how else are the poor gonna get poorer?
What bugs me is they rebuilt almost every school on the southside And enlarged them to the point there are no longer any play areas. What was the reason for enlarging all of them just to be closing some?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:28 PM

27 posts, read 113,016 times
I miss old Henry B. holding court in an empty House chamber for hours on end in the middle of the night. Thanks C-Span.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:31 PM

27 posts, read 113,016 times
I miss the Texas Tequila Association parties. Anyone attend the one at The Tropicano on Lexington? The morning after around the pool looked for all the world like the Jonestown massacre. Kool-Aid anybody?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSTOFF View Post
I miss the Texas Tequila Association parties. Anyone attend the one at The Tropicano on Lexington? The morning after around the pool looked for all the world like the Jonestown massacre. Kool-Aid anybody?
Is the Tropicano still there ? I know I past by there not long ago and can't recall if it's still there.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:08 PM

472 posts, read 1,793,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
What bugs me is they rebuilt almost every school on the southside And enlarged them to the point there are no longer any play areas. What was the reason for enlarging all of them just to be closing some?
I'm sure all the contractors made a lot of money by making the playgrounds disappear. There is another bond election coming up for Harlandale which was voted down last time. I'm sure it had to do with all the fraud that happened in enlarging all those schools last time.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:04 PM

25 posts, read 62,416 times
I tried today to get into the Windsor Park Mall to takes some pics of it before they transform the place, but I had no such luck. The city of Windcrest granted me permission(thank you, by the way), but the head contractor, developer denied me entry. He wasn't rude, it was just simple safety concerns. But he did let me in on some juice-y tidbits. He told me to expect something new and exciting to happen to the former mall. And to expect many stores to open up inside and everyone will be able to see it (inside) real soon. Also, there is a reason why they haven't took down the sign with the movie marquee, that you can see off of IH35. New Movie theater opening up? Hopefully he is true to his words and something good is happening to Windsor Park Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio