Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 PM

35 posts, read 116,081 times

Advertisements

The Ideal super market on Rigsby & Tillie, their slogan was
"Home of fresh killed meats " . Was the first store I ever bought
and tried dried sausage. Best price on Lone Star Beer on se side too.
It's a Dollar General now.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:49 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,303,763 times
Another "broken" street to mention is North New Braunfels. Most people think it ends right there on Broadway where you turn off to go to the Barn Door. It actually continiues on the other side of 4-10. To make it more confusing, the continuation is not lined up in any reasonable way with the N. New Braunfels street on the other side of 4-10. I don't think it even has access from the access road, you don't see it until you get one block into the industrial area where the first Fudrucker's is.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:04 PM

I noticed the webmaster at TheAlamoCIty.com added a newer picturer of Algo Differente:

TheAlamoCity.com

Old 11-18-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis1836 View Post
I discovered this forum 3 days ago along with that I found this thread. After reading through all the pages I decided to join. I grew up in Glenoaks Park right behind the YMCA. I do remember the Fargos, T.G.&Y. ,the grocery store on the end I just can’t remember the name. Also on the corner of Evers & Wurz. there was a Moble station. Across Evers was the 7-11 right behind was the Sonic, then Knolltons(sp?), I remember getting bubblegum ice cream there. Next was the car wash then Circle K, the Apts., La Patte, then the NW YMCA right before you crossed the bridge over the creek. I remember playing around the creek as a kid also when they redid it then we could ride down even better. Remember back in the late 70’s or early 80’s going to Ingram Park Mall to see the Lone Ranger. I might have pics at my parent’s house I need to look them up.

Also growing up my brother and me were “poster” children at the Luby’s at Colonies. So I got to know Wurz. very well. I will post that later.

There was some discussion earlier on about the white house on the hill where Lowes is today. That house was owed by a man named Streeter Nelson. Somehow he was connected with Scobby(sp?) moving.

Well that’s all for now. More to follow.
Could the grocery store orginally been a Handy Andy?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,845 times
Default Earl Abel's

Quote:
Originally Posted by munerider View Post
The new Earl Abel's is not owned by the same people...I haven't been...it just can't be the same without the 40 year old red carpet!
The new Earl Abel's is very much the same as the old restaurant, even down to the 40 year old red carpet. Yes, we had the old carpet pulled up, cleaned of course, at Aladdin, and reinstalled at the new location. If you visit Earl Abel's new location, you can see this carpet in our private dining rooms, along with all the other original memorabilia from the Broadway location.

If anyone wishes to contact me about the new restaurant, I will gladly take your calls to discuss everything we've done to make our many customers feel right at home.

Roger Arias
President & Owner
Earl Abel's Restaurant
(210) 822-3358
[email]roger@earlabelssa.com[/email]

Last edited by Bo; 11-18-2008 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Fixed email tag.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,153,291 times
Some members asked, so I wanted to clarify. The post by Mr. Arias is NOT an advertisement because it was posted in reply to a post about the furnishings and it is not discussing what the restaurant is selling.

Welcome to City-Data, Roger Arias.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,383,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Arias View Post
The new Earl Abel's is very much the same as the old restaurant, even down to the 40 year old red carpet. Yes, we had the old carpet pulled up, cleaned of course, at Aladdin, and reinstalled at the new location. If you visit Earl Abel's new location, you can see this carpet in our private dining rooms, along with all the other original memorabilia from the Broadway location.

If anyone wishes to contact me about the new restaurant, I will gladly take your calls to discuss everything we've done to make our many customers feel right at home.

Roger Arias
President & Owner
Earl Abel's Restaurant
(210) 822-3358
roger@earlabelssa.com
That's fascinating to know you went to that much trouble. Earl Abel's is definitely an institution and has it's long time followers. We ate there just about a week ago. Still nostagic!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:17 AM

You know what miss that is Gone But Not Forgotten in SA? The old Book Stops. Anybody remember those? They got bought out and shut down by Barnes & Nobles. There was one in Sunset Mall in Alamo heights and one in the old Shanendoa(?) Skating rink on NW I-10. I got addicted to reading books at an early age, around 10, and loved book stores as much as toy stores.

Also, it looks like all the mall-based bookstores are all gone now. I remember when every mall had two books stores, Walden Books and B. Dalton Booksellers. My favorite was the B. Dalton's in Ingram, it was cramped, but had two stories. The press of all those paperbacks in such a cramped space gave the place a sort of pleasant but musty odor. Do any malls in SA still have any of these stores? The last one I remember seeing was the Walden's in Ingram, but I haven't been to that mall in years.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:27 AM

50 posts, read 169,061 times
Default If you could remember all those motor courts and motels, then

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Dwangle...I think it was in another thread about some of the construction on Austin Hwy....but the topic of those old motor courts was touched on. I'll try to do a search and see if I can find that thread. Someone posted a link to some postcards that were for these vintage "motels". Before I-35 and Loop 410 were constructed, Austin Hwy was THE main thoroughfare into town....and it was loaded with them. Those postcards are wonderful and a few of the signs AND motor courts are still there. Including the three that are in demo progress, I think we counted at least 10 from the McNay all the way down to where Austin Hwy meets I-35. And that's only what's remaining! And then they continued down Broadway...serving Fort Sam, Brack Park and downtown. There was a very large one at the corner of Mulberry and St Mary's...and it had an addition across the street. WAY before my time.

I'll see if I can locate the name of the one you are talking about too.

Fred Rd had quite a few as well.....and there were always a number of them near the military installations. Talk about retro! And to think how "modern" they seemed...especially with a "kitchenette"!

The first place we stayed when we moved to Randolph was the Kon-Tiki Motel in Schertz....or UC. Now that place was scary back then! I've seen billboards for it on I-35 coming into town from Austin. Hopefully they have remodeled SEVERAL times!

BRB hopefully with some links!
Then you'd remember the original Frontier Drive-In (which wasn't a drive in) across from the Witte, and at the back of the parking lot, Mrs. Hasslocher rented bicycles to enjoy through Brackenridge Park. Or the second Urrutia mansion on Broadway, later replaced by the VW dealership.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:28 AM

50 posts, read 169,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I managed to find some pictures of the old Urrita mansion from its hey day, and even a picture of the doctor himself with his grandchildren. These pictures include an exterior shot of the house, a couple rooms inside of it, and some of the artwork that was on display there.
Second mansion built on Broadway, where VW dealership later built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio