Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 09:10 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,440,310 times

Advertisements

Looking at the pics from the link Wcat posted I remember the one on Fred Rd was there as recently as 10 yrs ago, if i am right its an O'Relliy's.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:42 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,379,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Looking at the pics from the link Wcat posted I remember the one on Fred Rd was there as recently as 10 yrs ago, if i am right its an O'Relliy's.
Will...did you see the Indian Village?

TheAlamoCity.com (http://www.thealamocity.com/scripts/ISERVCGI.EXE/showcard?ID_Num=10358.B.jpg&Size=1 - broken link)

I remember the TeePee Restaurant on Austin Hwy....looked almost like this. I wonder if it started out as a Hotel as well. This postcard on Fred Rd doesnt show the address. Anyone have any idea where this was?

Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 AM

Default The Tee Pee

Well...I just answered my own question! Here's a link to the Tee Pee. It was still in operation in the 60's...maybe into the early 70's. The Tee Pee huts stayed there for the longest time after they closed. I had no idea it started out with outdoor picnic benches. What a great picture!

Here's a direct link to the post card for the Tee Pee on Austin Hwy.

TheAlamoCity.com (http://www.thealamocity.com/scripts/ISERVCGI.EXE/showcard?ID_Num=10508.B.jpg&Size=1 - broken link)

Old 11-16-2008, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 14,458 times
Default Joskee's Stores

What about "Joskee's?" at either downtown or at the North Star Mall and who was that gy who advertised that tv commercial?

Old 11-16-2008, 10:29 PM

60 posts, read 208,543 times
Another couple of crazy streets are Jones Maltsberger and Nacogdoches. Jones Maltsberger (the 100 to 400 blocks) begins at the 3 way intersection of Alamo Heights Blvd, Devine and Jones Maltsberger just outside of the Olmos Basin Park. This is in Alamo Heights south of Basse. Another major street that begins in the area is Nacogdoches. The 100 to 1000 blocks run in a residental neighborhood in the middle of Alamo Heights and dead ends into the HEB at 999 E. Basse.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
Another couple of crazy streets are Jones Maltsberger and Nacogdoches. Jones Maltsberger (the 100 to 400 blocks) begins at the 3 way intersection of Alamo Heights Blvd, Devine and Jones Maltsberger just outside of the Olmos Basin Park. This is in Alamo Heights south of Basse. Another major street that begins in the area is Nacogdoches. The 100 to 1000 blocks run in a residental neighborhood in the middle of Alamo Heights and dead ends into the HEB at 999 E. Basse.
Gosh....Nacogdoches Rd has a long history...one of the oldest trails in Texas....part of the many Old Spanish Trails....but a major one. It was there long before a route to Austin was created.....or even before the city of Austin was established. It does seem to dead end where you mentioned...but actually that little side street that goes off to the NE by Walgreens was part of the original road. If you turn that corner on the right....it picks back up at the light at Broadway and heads out all the way out of the county. They sort of overlapped Basse on top of it when they extended Basse Rd to Broadway. Basse used to stop at Jones Maltsberger where you described it down in the Olmos basin. But, yes...it is all confusing to say the least!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:33 AM

60 posts, read 208,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Gosh....Nacogdoches Rd has a long history...one of the oldest trails in Texas....part of the many Old Spanish Trails....but a major one. It was there long before a route to Austin was created.....or even before the city of Austin was established. It does seem to dead end where you mentioned...but actually that little side street that goes off to the NE by Walgreens was part of the original road. If you turn that corner on the right....it picks back up at the light at Broadway and heads out all the way out of the county. They sort of overlapped Basse on top of it when they extended Basse Rd to Broadway. Basse used to stop at Jones Maltsberger where you described it down in the Olmos basin. But, yes...it is all confusing to say the least!
Yeah.. you can follow Nacogdoches east through Basse and continuing to the rest of Nacogdoches at the intersection of Basse/Broadway. Also, you can still see where Basse road dead-ended into the 300 block of Jones Maltsberger before US281 was built on satellite images of the area (or in person). Jones Maltsberger used to run through where the Quarry is and connected to the other leg by the railroad tracks on the other side. I remember back in high school exploring the area when Alamo Cement used to still be in operation.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,696,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis1836 View Post
There was some discussion earlier on about the white house on the hill where Lowes is today. That house was owed by a man named Streeter Nelson. Somehow he was connected with Scobby(sp?) moving.

Well that’s all for now. More to follow.
Great info and welcome to the board. I am really interestest on the manison that was where the present day Lowes at I-10 and Callaghan is. I will start doing some research on that immediately. And it is called Scobey Moving.
Moving and storage - Scobey-Mayflower Van Lines (http://www.scobeymovingandstorage.com/history.shtml - broken link)

No info on Nelson Streeter yet.....

Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
Yeah.. you can follow Nacogdoches east through Basse and continuing to the rest of Nacogdoches at the intersection of Basse/Broadway. Also, you can still see where Basse road dead-ended into the 300 block of Jones Maltsberger before US281 was built on satellite images of the area (or in person). Jones Maltsberger used to run through where the Quarry is and connected to the other leg by the railroad tracks on the other side. I remember back in high school exploring the area when Alamo Cement used to still be in operation.
Do you remember when Basse connected to Tuxedo! What a nightmare for people on that street. All the high school traffic from Olmos Park went straight up that hill. I'm sure property values were not so good back then. When the Rim went in they had to do something to stop that problem.

Great post about the satellite images showing the old Basse road route. If you look at Bitters Rd East of the airport where it dead ends into Wetmore, you can see the same thing....where Bitters used to cut across that end of the airport. I'm totally addicted to satellite mapping!

One that is really neat are the two roads that led to the little communities I mentioned that are now under Canyon Lake. From the satellite images you can see the roads disappear under the water where it's shallow along the shore. It's kind of creepy actually.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,440,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Will...did you see the Indian Village?

TheAlamoCity.com (http://www.thealamocity.com/scripts/ISERVCGI.EXE/showcard?ID_Num=10358.B.jpg&Size=1 - broken link)

I remember the TeePee Restaurant on Austin Hwy....looked almost like this. I wonder if it started out as a Hotel as well. This postcard on Fred Rd doesnt show the address. Anyone have any idea where this was?
It's the shopping center babe's is at now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio