Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 PM

60 posts, read 208,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esbiensafada View Post
.....Ahhhhhw the good old days. Does anyone remember the Black Cows sold at an Ice Cream shop on San Pedro and Recoleta (near the skating rink)?
I have a vague memory of that Black Cow place. If I remember correctly it was a small little store with outside tables to sit at. How about the 3 Bears hamburger place near the same location. I think it's a used car lot now. The big 50's wedge shaped sign is still there. They had those big animals on springs that you could sit on and bounce around.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:12 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,555,835 times
The Frito Bandito

Do people find the Frito Bandito offensive? I don't or have ever worked for the Frito company but I have always liked the Frito Bandito. ay ya ya ya I am the Frito Bandito I like Frito's corn chips I like them I do ..I like Fritos corn chips I take them from you. ay ya ya I am the Frito Bandito..If you like Frito's Corn chips than I'll be your friend ..The Frito Bandito you can always depend. It is all just fun I think!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,037,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Well....here's one I didn't know about. Let see how old some of you guys REALLY are! BEFORE North Star Mall was built, there was another drive in theater on San Pedro! I'm serious! I'm looking at an old map and it shows it. Some of the streets were not even there yet! It was on the East side of San Pedro South of Loop 410 (called Loop 12?) and North of Oblate.

Anyone know about this drive in? According to this map, it was approxiamately where Sprucewood Drive intersects San Pedro.....but Sprucewood was not platted yet.
I'd have to look that up Cat but it was just the original San Pedro before it moved north of loop 410 I'm sure!! Wasn't it called something else after the move? San Pedro and Rampart!
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/16868/

Last edited by SATX56; 11-13-2008 at 07:25 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 07:31 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,688,377 times
When was North Star built anyways?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:46 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,451,849 times
I think the drive in was first located where the K-mart store was located, there is a dollar tree there now.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,398,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I'd have to look that up Cat but it was just the original San Pedro before it moved north of loop 410 I'm sure!! Wasn't it called something else after the move? San Pedro and Rampart!
Cinema Treasures | San Pedro Outdoor Theatre
There ya go! And yes...Rampart would have been on the North side of the drive in...but this map doesn't show that either. Thanks for finding that info. Who knew all these drive ins existed in SA? Anyone have any idea which was the first one?

Satx.....I have a vague recollection of "The Chief"....I don't think we ever went there. Was it called "the Chief"....? I just remember the sign. I believe it was the first drive we came across when we first moved to San Antonio. My earliest memory of a drive in was when I was about four years old....out in Los Angeles. I don't remember ever watching a movie because I spent the whole time on the playground under the screen. Of course, at FOUR....the only thing I remember ever doing was "playing"....

Old 11-13-2008, 08:12 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,555,835 times
This is the way I remember it. Northwest Center on Fred. road was built first. It had two grocery stores , a drug store, a JC Penny and two Automotive Stores. The first indoor type mall I ever went to was North Star Mall. Around 1960. They had Fallout Shelters on display. Around the same time Wonderland opened. About the same time. I remember climbing around on the hills that would become 1H10. The house my dad still lives in was built with lumber bought on fred road. 1959 and no 1H10. Dewhurst went right through to Fred. Oh yes we called Dewhurst , Da worst! It was a really bad road. I went to St. Georgories in 1960.. second grade..we found longhorn skulls on the playground!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I went to St. Georgories in 1960.. second grade..we found longhorn skulls on the playground!
COOL! I bet you know some of my friends that went to St Gregs!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
When was North Star built anyways?
Buffy...I think there is a picture of NSM being built in the picture thread. Not sure it says what year.

I thought it was a bit later than 1960....but I wasn't here then....just what I had read somewhere. DW is probably correct.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,037,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
There ya go! And yes...Rampart would have been on the North side of the drive in...but this map doesn't show that either. Thanks for finding that info. Who knew all these drive ins existed in SA? Anyone have any idea which was the first one?

Satx.....I have a vague recollection of "The Chief"....I don't think we ever went there. Was it called "the Chief"....? I just remember the sign. I believe it was the first drive we came across when we first moved to San Antonio. My earliest memory of a drive in was when I was about four years old....out in Los Angeles. I don't remember ever watching a movie because I spent the whole time on the playground under the screen. Of course, at FOUR....the only thing I remember ever doing was "playing"....
You're welcome Cat, the Chief has been discounted as error in memory by BudB. He was thinking of the Towne Twin off WW. White on Dietrich RD. Our first Drive in was the Fred. Rd. originally simply referred to as the theater or drive-in!! Trail on the south side was second I believe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio