Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 06:52 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
I also remember on San Pedro back in the early 80's the original Mama's which is now a car lot, and remember many dinners at Maggie's.
Mamas was our standard after church on Sunday family dinner place (or Sizzler). One thing I always wondered about, why did they build Mama's Hoffbrau right next to Mamas? It was basically the exact same restaurant and menu...but they were seperate buildings. Anyone know the story about that. I can remember going to a happy hour there around 1998...and that was the last I remember of Mamas being in that area.

Anyone remember when Reed's Red Derby closed down and turned into Maggies?

Old 09-29-2008, 08:29 AM

141 posts, read 508,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Do you remember the original location of Alamo Cafe? Its where the enterprise rent a car is and also remember the Chili's on San Pedro.
i totally remember the original Alamo Cafe location...in fact i was thinking of it during its location heyday as i drove home from work Friday. as many good memories i have at that San Pedro location, it was literally out growing that site exponentially, as proof by the parking problems at that location and having to park at either Wendy's, the car lot on either side or even farther down the street, possibly the arcade. and look at the parking issues that still plague them at their current location off of 281N. and that new location opened in '96 as i was a senior in high school and remember vividly my friends and i making our maiden voyage there in about march or april of that year. i remember that everyone would freak out with the indoor sunrise/sunset/nighttime that took place on the cieling in the lobby.

i went to Casa Sol, which resides in the old Chili's location, about a year ago and had lunch there and it was good to see the old location, but kind of sad to see it go down. the food there ain't bad, but i never see a whole lot of cars there at one time so i fear the location will just go away altogether. as i sat there waiting for my food, i recalled all of the visits my friends and family would have there over the years, especially with my friends in my high school years. that old Chili's is the first place i used my first credit card as a senior in high school.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 AM

141 posts, read 508,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Good call..i forgot about that. I used to work in that area and that building was several things over the years after Alamo Cafe. I know it was another mexican place after alamo cafe...this would have been around '97. It was probably a chinese buffet at one time or another.
yeah, i remember that other mexican restaurant being there after Alamo as well. i can't recall the name right now, but i went there once to visit a friend who was working there, only to find out that they weren't on duty that day from the staff (this was pre cell phones being the living standard it is today...lol). food wasn't great and it was empty during lunch time when i would drive by, and that one time i ate there. i'm not sure if it was a chinese buffet, but it wouldn't surprise me as it seems that all empty locations turn into a buffet at some point...lol

Old 09-29-2008, 09:16 AM

237 posts, read 851,161 times
For satx56 and others, the old United Gas Plant was not at S. Presa and Military but farther east about where Loop 13/ Military Rd. curves northward and turns into W.W. White Road. U. G. sat off that curve just north of where W.W. White Rd. forks south toward loop 410. It was a litte community unto itself with the gas plant employees living in a number of small houses there almost like a little village. You could tell you were getting close from either direction because for years there were some tall palm trees on that site that stood out against the sky even at nite. I do not know the actual story but for many years even after its closing local legend said it was haunted. Anyone know more?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudB View Post
For satx56 and others, the old United Gas Plant was not at S. Presa and Military but farther east about where Loop 13/ Military Rd. curves northward and turns into W.W. White Road. U. G. sat off that curve just north of where W.W. White Rd. forks south toward loop 410. It was a litte community unto itself with the gas plant employees living in a number of small houses there almost like a little village. You could tell you were getting close from either direction because for years there were some tall palm trees on that site that stood out against the sky even at nite. I do not know the actual story but for many years even after its closing local legend said it was haunted. Anyone know more?
Hey Bud, this is very interesting! You must be a little older than me to recall this place. Other than Holt Cat being up around the curve on W.W.White I don't recall anything else. Funny you mention this haunted story. When I was around 12 about 1963 the older boys had a story. On top of the chinese graveyard , the RR tracks story there was the "tree". One night I went with them to Military(loop 13) and W.W. White. The empty field just south and west of the road to 410 had one big tree on it. Anyway, without dragging the story out the tree was supposed to be haunted. Supposedly, a blue cloud of smoke would appear over it. Think the tree is still there! The name United Gas sounds familiar but don't remember anything at that locale! Keep it coming Bud!

Old 09-29-2008, 10:27 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexkwandosatx View Post
yeah, i remember that other mexican restaurant being there after Alamo as well. i can't recall the name right now, but i went there once to visit a friend who was working there, only to find out that they weren't on duty that day from the staff (this was pre cell phones being the living standard it is today...lol). food wasn't great and it was empty during lunch time when i would drive by, and that one time i ate there. i'm not sure if it was a chinese buffet, but it wouldn't surprise me as it seems that all empty locations turn into a buffet at some point...lol
Yeah Alamo Cafe moved out around 96, and a placed called Pancho Willie's took its place. The food was ok nothing great. I also think that Mama's moved in early 1999. Another place gone is Ninfa's at Nakoma and 281,
I loved that place.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:25 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,344 times
Anybody remember those 2 story hexagon bank buildings at various major intersections around town? I remember them at 410 & Vance Jackson (now a Taco Cabana), Perin Beitel And 410. Medical and Fredericksburg...it is still there and now a Brake Check. I am sure there were more? What bank was that?

Old 09-29-2008, 01:58 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
Man Primo I remember seeing those but do not remember the bank name.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:07 PM

62 posts, read 201,389 times
I remember Mama's, Mama's Hoffbrau, and of course ALAMO CAFE! I remember eating at the original location many times. YUM.

I live in the Chicago area now (for a year and a half) and before that was in Austin for 5.5 years. I can't believe the dissing on HEB I've seen in this thread. All the Texpats I know would practically kill for HEB. And Taco Cabana! My husband and I went to Chili's last night to get our Tex-Mex fix. That is sad!

Chili's off of San Pedro-went there the night of Senior Prom. LOL. Prom was not a big deal to my group.

Hope I can make it home over Thanksgiving...fares to SA are sky high right now...I know flights were cut.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,815 times
yes Peachie not to rub it in ( but I am!) sometimes I just want take out mexican food. I have to decide between Taco Bell and Taco Cabana! Ain't I lucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio