Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 04:03 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,194,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post
Yes, at the top not on the top.....lol. The babe died 20 years before the tower was built, so yes that would be quite the picture. I found this same picture in a book about the history of basball in San Antonio. The caption has the year being 1930 and the game taking place at League Stadium. Any idea of where this stadium was located?
Wouldn't be the old Mission Stadium on Mission road. It was built in mid 40's or so. I think that V.J. Keefe has been around a long time. Don't supposed it was formerly League Stadium?? Doubt it!

Old 09-24-2008, 04:52 PM

35 posts, read 116,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg1208 View Post
Anyone remember Apron's restaraunt on Walzem ? 1983-?

How about the Hideaway in Palm Park on Hwy 181 s.

El Rancho on W.W. White north of E. Houston

Franks @ W.W.White and Holmgreen . Flame broiled burgers and
Ozark pressure cooked fried chicken. The owner lived in Sutherland Springs and had a cool handlebar moustache.
jg

Old 09-24-2008, 05:27 PM

113 posts, read 447,326 times
I used to eat regularly at Franks---great fries too! How about the Running Bear on Military dr. ---great burgers too!

Anyone remember Woolco that used to be on Fair ave. where home depot is now? Used to shop there all the time. AHhhhh memories!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayover20 View Post
I used to eat regularly at Franks---great fries too! How about the Running Bear on Military dr. ---great burgers too!

Anyone remember Woolco that used to be on Fair ave. where home depot is now? Used to shop there all the time. AHhhhh memories!
Running Bear was torn down recently and a small twin strip built there. I remember that Woolco and the Builder's Square!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 PM

7,132 posts, read 11,918,675 times
Geez...talk about memories! That was Dad's store - we also owned the Oasis liquor store a bit further out. At one time, you'd top the hill on Bandera, and the only lights you saw were from the T&L Ice House, the hardware store and the liquor store.
Remember the stables? There was one up on the hill towards Wurbach, and another just down from the Huebner road intersection. Where the bowling alley is today was once a small farm. We lived on Sawyer Road, right where it curves left, next to Mrs. Sawyer's place.
I can still remember Herman Crockett. Wish I could find him again - he was a true "Gentle Giant" from what I recall. I've heard he fell onto hard times, but have been unable to find any details. I know he always had a kind word for folks.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:16 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,467,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage007 View Post
Yes, at the top not on the top.....lol. The babe died 20 years before the tower was built, so yes that would be quite the picture. I found this same picture in a book about the history of basball in San Antonio. The caption has the year being 1930 and the game taking place at League Stadium. Any idea of where this stadium was located?
I know Mission stadium was a different stadium, I remember reading somewhere that in the 30's the NY Giants spent a few years holding spring training at League park. I will find out where it was located.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 PM

According to this story League Stadium was in the vicinity of Brackeridge Park. It burned to the ground in 1932. Mission Stadium wasn't built until 1947.

San Antonio at Bat: Professional ... - Google Book Search

Old 09-25-2008, 07:18 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,709,078 times
Default Malibu Grand Prix

I just realized that something went GBNF in SA right before our eyes....and nobody mentioned it. Malibu Grand Prix! That place is truely GONE! I remember when they built it, they pour the concrete for the track first and everyone was wondering what it was going to be. The 70's street drag racing was in its prime and our old neighboor thought it was going to bring lots of drag racers to the area. Anyone remember what year it opened?
I remember they gave out tokens if you brought your report card in...you got 5 for an "A" and 3 for a "B". They probably didn't lose too much money in SA, considering half this city flunks out of school before they graduate.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 AM

284 posts, read 1,092,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I just realized that something went GBNF in SA right before our eyes....and nobody mentioned it. Malibu Grand Prix! That place is truely GONE! I remember when they built it, they pour the concrete for the track first and everyone was wondering what it was going to be. The 70's street drag racing was in its prime and our old neighboor thought it was going to bring lots of drag racers to the area. Anyone remember what year it opened?
Malibu Castle is still there. I just looked at their website (they still call it Malibu Grand Prix) and called the phone number. Someone answered and gave me their hours of operation today.

My daughter just went there a few months ago with her summer camp group. They still have go-carts. I'm assuming the "Grand Prix" part was more like car racing and that is what is gone?

Old 09-25-2008, 09:16 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,709,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglobe View Post
Malibu Castle is still there. I just looked at their website (they still call it Malibu Grand Prix) and called the phone number. Someone answered and gave me their hours of operation today.

My daughter just went there a few months ago with her summer camp group. They still have go-carts. I'm assuming the "Grand Prix" part was more like car racing and that is what is gone?
Back in the day...they were 2 seperate venues but owned by the same company. Malibu Grand Prix and Castle Golf & Games. Malibu came first and Castle was built about a year later (Anyone know the details on the build dates). Some years ago, they built a mini track at Castle..and I guess combined operations.
The original Malibu Grand Prix has been completely bulldozed...the concrete track is still there, but all the buildings are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio