Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 AM

187 posts, read 949,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Texasborn, remember the day the Brackenridge train got robbed? Oh the rampant crime in SA. Also, does anyone know if Dibbles Hobby Store still exists? It was near Jefferson High School if I remember correctly. Also is Randy's Rodeo still there? I think that was Bamdera and Hillcrest.

Randys gone. I mean the building is still there and its still rented out to different functions. Dibbles in Jefferson area? If same one yes it is. Rampant crime? compared to mayberry?

Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 AM

187 posts, read 949,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I could be off a year or so for Holmes too..anyway, yea, boondocks is a good word for the northwest side back then. Marshall was always the "kicker" school because of the FFA and Ag which was at Marshall until O'Connor High opened in Helotes and now I think it has the FFA chapter.

And I'm glad this thread has been so well-received...there's many of us out there with long memories of good times growing up in SA and this thread only proves it!! Let's keep it going as long as we can... It's coming up on a year since I started it...Saturday will be one year...Happy Anniversary and thanks to all that have contributed to it!!

Marshall used to be "northside high school" and was a hospital during the war. My uncle went there in the 60's. My brother in early 80's me and my sis mid 80's and now my niece goes there. funny to go and watch her as a "ramblorette".

Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 AM

15 posts, read 70,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
The same side of Blanco but across a side street...I remember there used to be an old stone and log lodge type establishment (looked like something from Legends of the Fall). I think it was a night club or pool hall called Doc Holidays? I could be wrong on the name. Anyone remember that?
The old lodge type building was the Bull Moose. Served exotic game (zebra, elk, bear, and with advance notice lion). A buddy of mine worked there.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:33 AM

25 posts, read 79,632 times
Default Handy Dan

I think there was one at Vance Jackson and 410 (where Northern Tools is)

Old 11-29-2007, 09:09 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 879,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debdeb525 View Post
I think there was one at Vance Jackson and 410 (where Northern Tools is)
And later a Fed Mart across the street. I remember when the Jack in the Box opened close to that and boy did we think we were uptown. Loop 410 was just 2 lanes with no divider wall.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:12 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 879,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maluminse View Post
Randys gone. I mean the building is still there and its still rented out to different functions. Dibbles in Jefferson area? If same one yes it is. Rampant crime? compared to mayberry?
Wasn't Dribbles in the same center that the Piggly Wiggly was that burned in the early 60s. I remember a shoe store there that i just loved the smell of shoe glue...

And I was suppose to go to Marshall in 66 but the folks put me in TMI. Now that was fun!!!!!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 AM

88 posts, read 287,661 times
Bored at home a couple of days ago, I began a search for an old family friend from the 60's, a popular 12 Star Final anchor, and stumbled upon this site. I'm glad I did!

After 50 years living in SA on the NE, NC, and NW sides, I moved out of state. The week before Thanksgiving I returned for a first visit, after being away for 2 1/2 years, and simply could not believe the dramatic changes I saw. Witnessing all the apparent uncontrolled sprawl in many directions had me constantly saying Holy S***! Now, back home in my small town I have reflected numerous times of the "good old days" of my growing up in SA:

Going to the drag strip (Alamo Dragway?), located along FM 78 between Rittiman and Walzem roads, to see Art Arfons' and his Green Monster jet dragster.

Fishing along Salado Creek between Loop 410 and Ft. Sam, when it was safe to eat the fish caught there.

Being transported by random parent car from Wilshire Elementary to the Handy Andy on Austin Hwy @ Harry Wurzbach during A-Bomb drill, because HA had a bomb shelter basement. (This mode of transportation would NOT be allowed today.)

Dinners at Big John's Steakhouse and the Tee Pee. My parents were friends of owner and western movie star, Big John Hamilton, and we ate his excellent steaks and fried shrimp often. Great oyster bar, too! Chill Wills was there one night and I sat in his lap while he conversed with us. The Tee Pee's onion rings were as good or better than Jim's Frontier.

The old beer joints my parents frequented along/near Austin Hwy: French Quarter, Rustic Lounge, Checkerboard Lounge, and the Elbow Room - originally located where Klaus Rd. teed into Corinne Rd., before the bridge was built over Salado Creek which connected to Eisenhauer Rd.

Did anybody here ever hang out at the pool at the North East Club, located at the rear of the Tavern On The Green on the west end of Ft. Sam Shopping Center? It sure was a great place to swim close to home. The pool area was demolished/filled in years ago. Great memories there.

I could go on and on,,, and on........

Oh, and Edge Falls: As a young boy, my parents and I - along with their friends would go there every so often to swim and picnic. Years later, my dad recanted how this beautiful area got so littered by inconsiderate and rowdy visitors to the point that he felt it unsafe to go there anymore.

Last edited by Been There B4; 11-29-2007 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: stupid spelling

Old 11-29-2007, 12:50 PM

44 posts, read 192,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I just remembered a spot my Parents took me to when I was just a small child. The Zuider Zee Seafood restaurant. I don't know where it was,must have been around 1965-67 timeframe, but I remember the huge lobster tank in the entry and that the entrance was shaped like a Dutch Windmill.

Anyone have a recollection of this place and where it was?

P.S. I just found this thread on the Dallas Historical site that talks about the chain history, but nothing specific to the San Antonio location. Zuider Zee history (http://www.dallashistory.org/cgi-bin/webbbs_config.pl?noframes;read=44926 - broken link)
Amazing...I've been catching up on this thread (just found it a couple of days ago, and was reminded of the Zuider Zee). I don't remember specifically where it was (lived on the southside), but it was definitely on San Pedro, fairly near North Star (probably near Solo Serve, but on the other side of the street).

Old 11-29-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
It was mentioned twice that a lady buried in her Caddy somewhere on the southside (Post #1345 then again in Post #1346). I could find no reference to this during a quick Google search...and maybe that is intentional; but I sure as heck would like to find out more about it! Anyone have any additional details??

Cheers! M2
I have not seen an answer to this yet (I started around page 140, then went back to page 1).

I think what you're remembering is one of the West family members that owned a ranch in south Texas. If I remember correctly, she was buried in her Ferrari in a negligee "with the seat tilted back slightly". I believe they encased the car in a concrete "tomb" and buried that. I want to say this was around 1972.

I'll keep looking...

Old 11-29-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappear-here View Post
Wasn't it a Ferrari? Sandra Ilene West was her name.
Whoops! Sorry, this answer was on the next page...that's the lady...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio