Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 13,133 times

Advertisements

I grew up around this area and left in 1982. Still visit alot and have relatives down there. This is a great thread on all the old memories. Does anybody remember the Swenson's ice cream place on Blanco inside of 410? They had those huge ice cream treats.
When I lived in Castle Hills, my brother and I would get a free ticket to go have ice cream at the pharmacy/soda shop at the other end of the Piggly Wiggly strip center on Military Hwy. I have to laugh now at the dentist who always gave this ticket to us like it was future insurance for more visits.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:20 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativecat View Post
I grew up around this area and left in 1982. Still visit alot and have relatives down there. This is a great thread on all the old memories. Does anybody remember the Swenson's ice cream place on Blanco inside of 410? They had those huge ice cream treats.
When I lived in Castle Hills, my brother and I would get a free ticket to go have ice cream at the pharmacy/soda shop at the other end of the Piggly Wiggly strip center on Military Hwy. I have to laugh now at the dentist who always gave this ticket to us like it was future insurance for more visits.
I remember that Swenson's. It was in that strip center with all the older looking fake-village facade's, right? Used to have a golf shop on one end, a Turkish shish-kabob place in the corner (now a Thai place) and a Soccer Locker on the end that might still be there. I still get my hair cut there, actually. I have had my hair cut by the same women for over 15 years. I first encountered her, in of all places, the Great Expectation hair salon in Wonderland Mall.

We went to that Swenson's once or twice, but usually frequented the one across from Wonderland where Babe's Hamburgers is now. My Mom used to love Swenson's. I remember getting some huge ice cream dish that had bubble gum in it there for my birthday when I was a kid.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
That was the 'New West' at Lockhill Selma and Military.
TCS,
In what years was it called New West? I know for sure it was Dallas Nightclub sometime in the early to mid 90's.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I just stumbled onto a site with some great photos of old urban factories and buildings. Some in SA some not but all I think are in Texas. I don't know who the photographer is but I like their style. Wonderful pics.

Shattered Shutter Photography and Urban Exploration
SnappyBob,
If you, like me, enjoy this kind of stuff, you have to read the book "Creepers" by David Morrell. Scary, yet fascinating as h*ll.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:23 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
TCS,
In what years was it called New West? I know for sure it was Dallas Nightclub sometime in the early to mid 90's.
There's an ad in my high school yearbook from the very early 80s for New West and a map showing its location...not sure how long it was called New West though.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:44 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
There's an ad in my high school yearbook from the very early 80s for New West and a map showing its location...not sure how long it was called New West though.
Your high school yearbook had an ad for a nightclub? Wow, how times have changed! LOL--my high school had a smoking section, which was popular among teachers and most of the students!

Old 11-22-2007, 09:07 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Your high school yearbook had an ad for a nightclub? Wow, how times have changed! LOL--my high school had a smoking section, which was popular among teachers and most of the students!
Yea, I'm sure times have changed...no more night club or dance hall ads...LOL!!! We also had a smoking section too...I always hated walking by it because it of the cloud of smoke...

Old 11-22-2007, 09:23 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
You missed out--all the fun, cool people were in the smoking section!! Warnings shmornings--pffffttt! When you're 16 you are invincible! We had fun, but thankfully I was able to quit that nasty habit! Well, enough about smoking.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
TCS,
It was around 80-81 or so. I was working at the Albertsons on West Ave at the time and we used to hang out there now and then.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:59 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 876,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Yes we had an ad for Pearl Brewery in ours. In the early 70s Pearl had that awful Pearl Light that one of my buds loved. It was horse p*!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio