Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
TCCC was close by at least 1988 because in 1989, a new development called River City Fair opened on the former country club land...here's some info I found online about River City Fair as it didn't last very long.

"The $ 3 million restaurant and entertainment complex on 3830 Parkdale
Drive opened Nov. 1, 1989, amid much fanfare. The 70,000-square-foot
complex, containing three restaurant areas and 100 amusements, such as
miniature golf, shuffleboard, basketball and video games, was slated to
cost $ 20 million when all phases of the project were completed.

However, one month after River City Fair opened, construction
companies, architects and material suppliers claimed that the center owed
them nearly $ 1 million. By January, vendors and suppliers were filing
suit against River City. And in May, River City filed for Chapter 11
reorganization."
Thank you for this! I remember this place's brief existance, I had gone there a couple of times. I had forgotten the name and had meant to post here asking the forum if they remembered it, but you just answered it!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:34 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,436,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Thank you for this! I remember this place's brief existance, I had gone there a couple of times. I had forgotten the name and had meant to post here asking the forum if they remembered it, but you just answered it!
I was upset because the one time I went there it said that you had to be 21 to get in, and I was 18 at the time.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxt83 View Post
I'd like to get more feedback on a few more historic SA tales, and history on the following:

5 - ghost hauntings along Callaghan Rd between IH 10 and Vance Jackson,

Anybody out there remember these?
I grew up and still live in this area....I have never heard anything about this. What do you know about this?

Old 11-09-2007, 08:46 AM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,157,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I grew up and still live in this area....I have never heard anything about this. What do you know about this?
Yes, I've never heard anything about hauntings off Callaghan either. I had a very good friend that lived near Rock Creek Run, IIRC, and years ago we were up and down Callaghan at all hours of the night but never heard of any hauntings.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I also grew up near there and used to ride bikes in the grassy area near the drain-off and High-voltage powerlines at the bottom of the hill. I never heard of anything unusual about the place. I'd like to hear your story, too.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:02 PM

305 posts, read 1,619,042 times
Where was Turtle Creek located exactly? Was it between Fredrickburg, I-10, Wurzbach and Callaghan? Although it was close to where I lived, I never went there or went by it much that I have seemed to developed a blind spot as to it's exact location. I know my brother played golf there. I remember him telling me that the fairways were way too narrow and he was always hitting an apartment building, he didn't say anything about hitting parked cars, but he had a slice and not a hook. I also remember the (Inn at Turtle Creek?) would have really good entertainment, but I was too young at the time to go. I remember Bill Cosby was there and I hated that I couldn't go. I strangely remember the ghost stories about Callaghan. I thought they involved Donkey Lady legend interspersed with other stuff, but if I recall it seemed to center around where Callaghan crosses the creek about halfway between Vance Jackson and I-10. And the VIA bus I thought occurred in the mid-70s. I also remember a box car falling off an overpass and smashing a car below. Those were turbulent times, there were streakers at the Parades and I remember some cop accidently shot off his gun at NIOSA and caused a lot of panic.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:44 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,453 times
We lived on Rock Creek Run and the only place that would get us the hebbie gebbies on Callaghan was near Stonehaven for some reason. This was back from 64-71.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:51 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,157,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Where was Turtle Creek located exactly?
3830 Parkdale was the official address but it was just south of Wurzbach near Datapoint Dr just to the west of the I-10 access road...north of Medical Dr...east of Fredericksburg Rd. You can google the old address and you'll still see some of the empty land where the golf course was and some of the other structures...78229 was the old zip so I'm sure that's the same.

I googled it..here's a link...3830 Parkdale San Antonio 78229 - Google Maps

Parkdale St and Parkdale Dr will pop up..either will work once you click on them...

Last edited by 940; 11-09-2007 at 05:00 PM..

Old 11-09-2007, 06:42 PM

305 posts, read 1,619,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
3830 Parkdale was the official address but it was just south of Wurzbach near Datapoint Dr just to the west of the I-10 access road...north of Medical Dr...east of Fredericksburg Rd. You can google the old address and you'll still see some of the empty land where the golf course was and some of the other structures...78229 was the old zip so I'm sure that's the same.

I googled it..here's a link...3830 Parkdale San Antonio 78229 - Google Maps

Parkdale St and Parkdale Dr will pop up..either will work once you click on them...
Thanks 940, yes I can definitely see some old fairways.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,178 times
Thank you all, for bringing back such great memories. I left S.A. 10 years ago. Had my 20th reunion this past summer. I didn't go to the reunion, but did make contact with my best friend from high school. We talked about her job at Duncan Donuts on San Pedro.......we took a walk through San Pedro Park. Funny how I have never stepped a foot into that park the 20 years my family lived there, and it was only 10 minutes away from our home. I never knew how beautiful it was.....the trees were ginormous and majestic. The little spring fed water hole was a complete surprise! Can you actually swim in there? After a short stroll with our wild kids, we stopped for some cold exotic flavored paletas from an authentic Mexican ice cart......you know what I am talking about! My husband is a red neck from Florida.....he was amazed to see watermelon seeds in the watermelon flavored paleta. I had coconut cream, our kids had chocolate!

We took them to Kiddie Park. Most of the rides are in poor shape. The few rides that does work is quite loud and noisy to operate. The horses on the carousel had missing tails and a few had that bright yellow police tape around them. When my husband rode in one of the saucer rides with our son, the saucer was too heavy and couldn't elevate! The ferris wheel had a big hole at the bottom of the seat. It wasn't the glory and glamour that I remember of Kiddie Park 20 years ago. But 20 years ago, I never thought I would someday have a family of my own, and bring my children there. My husband couldn't figure out why I would bring our kids to a run down park.....but Kiddie Park represents a piece of my childhood. And childhood memories are worth preserving. As you all are my witness.....if I ever come to a large sum of money some day.....I vow to rebuild and restore Kiddie Park to it's former days of glory and glamour.........Long Live Kiddie Park!!!

Last edited by Winslet1987; 11-09-2007 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: restructure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio