Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,443,479 times

Advertisements

The Galaxy theater, now the Rialto some time in the late 80's.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:34 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowglobe View Post
I was looking at a diary from 1983-1985 and I wrote about going to some places that I don't think have been mentioned before:

Edge of Town--where was it? I want to say it was in the Perrin-Beitel & 410 area.

People's restaurant/People's Lounge--located at 410 and Blanco?

Olga's in Ingram Park Mall--can't remember what they called the wrap-type sandwiches they served, but I remember they were really good.

El Farolitos--Mexican food restaurant on Wurzbach near I-10

Barbados restaurant--in the Tesoro building? They had a really good lemon sole

Brooks clothing or department store--probably more than one--location(s)?
I cried when they closed Olga's. I couldn't remember the name of it, but those wraps were wonderful!

And the People's I remember was at Ingram and 410--it was a pretty good restaurant, not a lounge, so maybe there was another location at Blanco.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:00 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
Default Olga's

If I remember correctly...it was called Olga's Kitchen?

I had an aunt Olga that never cooked (thus never used her kitchen)...and we used to joke about her "restaruant".

Remember there was a place that only served hot dogs (this is a long time ago...when there was only a McDonalds and Chic a Filet.) Anyone remember the name? I remember it was on the first floor on the same with the other 2 food places (I guess it was the Sears wing?)

Old 10-31-2007, 07:35 AM

61 posts, read 257,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I heard Barbados was quite the trendy place to go during the Miami Vice era of the 80's. It is the present day Arjon's International Club.

Anyone remember Babylon?...where Rosarios is now.

GWhopper mentioned Peoples...where exactly was it?
Used to go to Babylon all the time. Sorry to see it close, though it is nice to have Rosarios in a place where you can actually have aa conversation...at least at lunch.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:59 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
If I remember correctly...it was called Olga's Kitchen?

I had an aunt Olga that never cooked (thus never used her kitchen)...and we used to joke about her "restaruant".

Remember there was a place that only served hot dogs (this is a long time ago...when there was only a McDonalds and Chic a Filet.) Anyone remember the name? I remember it was on the first floor on the same with the other 2 food places (I guess it was the Sears wing?)
Was it Shannon Smith's Hot Dogs? They used to have a location Wonderland and I think in Ingram as well. My dad used to take me there while my mom got her hair cut at Great Expectations hair salon in the mall.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I cried when they closed Olga's. I couldn't remember the name of it, but those wraps were wonderful!

And the People's I remember was at Ingram and 410--it was a pretty good restaurant, not a lounge, so maybe there was another location at Blanco.
What's interesting is the Olga's reopened just a year or so ago on Blanco and Huebner in the shoppinbg center on the corner where The Point Martini bar and Double Dave's Pizza are. I went there and had a gyro and fries and they were the same. I asked the employees there if it were the same one from Ingram and they said yes, same family. Sadly, however, they closed down after being open only six months.

I also remember the Peoples near Ingram Park Mall. Both locations had the long benches with the different shoes sticking out for legs. Does anybody remember what the Blanco location became after People's shutdown? I think it was called Meatball's or something like that and was owned by the same familiy that owned Fratelli's.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
What was the record store on San Pedro and...Jackson Keller? I remember buying lots of records there and concert tickets. There was also a pretty cool record store at North Star Mall, up by where Luby's is now.??
I think that was a Sound Warehouse on San Pedro.

I don't remember a record store where Luby's is now at North Star Mall is now, but I do remember one across the little square from there, where the video game store is now, or to the right of it.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:08 AM
jbh

1 posts, read 5,710 times
There was a Winn's Five and Dime store in Wonderland Mall for many years. I was an Assistant Manager there in the middle 1980's. I helped close the store and relocate it to the newly built location a block from the mall.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post

I think they were just called Gyros, like all the other Greek places. What I remember most, though, were their seasoned curly fries!

Old 10-31-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh View Post
There was a Winn's Five and Dime store in Wonderland Mall for many years. I was an Assistant Manager there in the middle 1980's. I helped close the store and relocate it to the newly built location a block from the mall.

Was this in the middle of the mall? And did it have a lunch counter? I remember a five and dime type store in the middle of the mall on the second floor that had a little lunch counter that servered wonderful soft tacos and enchiladas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio