Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 09:15 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,734 times

Advertisements

Remember Photon? The laser tag game at the World of Sports (I-10 & DeZavala). I remember it was expensive(I think it was $10 for one round), you had to wait about 45 minutes to play 3 minutes. I also remember the battery pack was very heavy and always made my pants fall down. But it sure was fun.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,734 times
Default Central Park carousel

Anyone been reading the articles in the paper on the Eagle's Nest Church. Apparently the so called "pastor" has been pissing away church donations for his own benefit and buying ridiculous things in the name of building a new $36 million church. One interesting thing he bought for $100,000 was the Central Park Carousel. I always wondered where that went. There was some debate on the KISS morning show, if that was the same carousel from Playland Park? Anyone know for sure?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:31 AM

796 posts, read 3,050,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
You are right, a lot like the dollar stores or big lots or Tuesday Morning. They were kind of like mini department stores where each aisle was dedicated to a certain category. I remember Winn's sold toys (bought my first Star Wars action figures there in the late 70's) they also had some clothes, sewing supplies, material, hardware, school and office supplies, and of all things, parakeets in the back. Maybe some fish, too. But I remember the parakeets, I always thought that was a little odd, I remember hearing them chirp when I used to walk the aisles with my mom. I don't think they had things like shampoo or detergent or any medical stuff.
I also remember Winns having a big fabric section, and big bins full of tube socks in all sorts of colors.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:11 AM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,571 times
Yah I had 2 of those slider cable boxes. One was for the 25 pound Sony Beta Max that sounded like a washing machine going into spin cycle when you depressed the play key.
Later i added some cable to bring the TV box next to the couch and instant remote control. YAH!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 02:16 PM

305 posts, read 1,619,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Found this pic of a Gulf Mart from a newspaper ad...also found some old pics of Woolco and TG&Y...

Irnag, were you the one asking about the Sinclair Dinosaurs at Wonderland?? I found this pic of the dinosaurs on display at an old Woolco in the early 60s...

Hey! Nice dino. Yes, I have been asking the board, but I went home over Thansgiving and have PICS of me and the dinos. I will post those later.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:48 PM

88 posts, read 287,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Remember before the best buy across from North Star mall...it used to be a red brick Ramada inn...motel....all spread out.
The Ramada there had a Pancake House (or Inn) restaurant, serving tasty pancake breakfasts with a bazillion different syrups. Before heading up Hwy 281 to Canyon Lake for early morning fishing trips, my dad and I would always stop there to get a belly full. We're talking mid to late 1960's here.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:51 PM

88 posts, read 287,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
That was the 'New West' at Lockhill Selma and Military.
And Denim and Diamonds there, too, I believe

Old 11-27-2007, 07:34 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,299,017 times
Some one may have mentioned this earlier in this forum, but does anybody remember the Nighthawk Steak Restaurant on San Pedro? That one closed down like in the late 70's or early 80's, but I remember stumbling on one about 10 years ago in Austin. I think the restaurants are all gone now, but they still make the frozen steak dinners in the stores. I'd be curious if anybody knows their backstory.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:45 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,299,017 times
I think I just answered my own question. interesting history, here. Though this probably belongs in an Austin post.

The Austin Chronicle: Food: The Flight of the Night Bird: Harry Akin and the Night Hawk Legend

Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 PM

44 posts, read 192,184 times
I just found this board yesterday...so many memories!

With the Texas High School playoffs going on, does anyone else remember when there were only 2 districts in San Antonio, 1 district champion that went to the playoffs, and the "City Champion" was determined in bidistrict?

I believe the 2 districts were 15 and 16 AAAA (now AAAAA). If memory serves, the schools in each district were:

Edison
Highlands
Jefferson
Lee
MacArthur
Alamo Heights

Burbank
Brackenridge
Fox Tech
Lanier
Harlandale
I don't remember the sixth team...

I believe these were the districts until the fall of '66.

This was before Roosevelt and Churchill opened, before McCollum, etc. I think that Marshall existed, but wasn't 4A yet. I don't think Sam Houston was 4A then, either. Wheatley was still segregated and played in the Prairie View league.

Judson was a country school then!

With the population shift in SA, Highlands (my alma mater) is the only southside school that's still in 5A. Of course, it's about 1000 students smaller than it was in its heyday.

I can remember being in the Windcrest area around '71 or '72 when Walzem Road was two lanes and DARK. There was a Lone Star Ice House at 410/35 on Walzem and almost nothing on Walzem until you got to Roosevelt!

I've enjoyed the discussion on the Turtle Creek Country Club. We had our senior prom there - I remember it being a very swanky place in the mid 70s!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio