Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 12:22 PM

872 posts, read 1,858,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
*Please don't forget about the VOWC Trash Day on Nov. 7th starting at 9:00am . I hope neighbors take advantage of this since our garbage companies don't pick up certain items and if there is a good turn out we will surely have more. The Private and City Landfills are very expensive. Our own garbage companies will make a special pickup like the one we had a while back. That was for a BasketBall Goal -that I ran over and cracked the plastic base. Anyway Tiger's fee for that one item was $35.00, which we gladly spent since it was less than Covel Garden's disposal fee (the nearest Landfill to Westcreek). I'm sure some of you will have fence boards, tree limbs, etc. that need to be disposed of. Maybe you have an elderly neighbor that has no way to transport their items to the Sports Park. I know they would appreciate any help.
This is a great initiative. I am concerned however that MANY residents will never hear about it and thus be able to take advantage of it.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:04 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,845,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
This is a great initiative. I am concerned however that MANY residents will never hear about it and thus be able to take advantage of it.
I'm hoping that signs wil be placed along the main roads and intersections to inform folks of the event a couple of weeks in advance. That way if bushes /trees need to be trimmed /pruned etc. they will have enough time to get everything finished. Folks will also have enough time to clean out their garages and storage sheds.

I know its on the webpage. I wish our webpage had a counter on it to see how often it's visited.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I'm hoping that signs wil be placed along the main roads and intersections to inform folks of the event a couple of weeks in advance. That way if bushes /trees need to be trimmed /pruned etc. they will have enough time to get everything finished. Folks will also have enough time to clean out their garages and storage sheds.

I know its on the webpage. I wish our webpage had a counter on it to see how often it's visited.
Two weeks out was yesterday...no signs yet.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,845,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Two weeks out was yesterday...no signs yet.
Well looks like we may not get the participation I was hoping for . To the best of my knowledge the HOA is paying $250.00 plus for the dumpster.

Maybe on the way home from work Monday we'll see signs.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,680,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I guess we must of had a strong wind come through early this morning. Did anyone see the house on Military Drive (north side) with the fences all down?
I guess that's God's way of telling them...hey replace the fence like the HOA told you to.
Well, it's been more than two weeks since those three fences were blown down. Do they plan to repair it anytime this decade?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Speaking of cutting the grass, when is the house on Saxonhill and Adriana Maria (east side of Saxonhill that butts up to Military Drive West) going to cut theirs? That house is habitually in violation on this matter.
Still not cut but they did take the time to put Halloween decor in the very tall weeds.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,888 times
I like the community garage sales but why can't we just have a community garage sale out of our own garages? And just have HOA employees and volunteers go around and collect $ from each home owner participating. It can be reinforced by requiring homeowners, that are in good standing OF COURSE, to sign up at the office prior to the event.

SteelMan, why don't you leave her note and let her know how you feel? Maybe she's never received a warning.

Last edited by Spunkymama; 10-27-2009 at 11:21 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkymama View Post
I like the community garage sales but why can't we just have a community garage sale out of our own garages? And just have HOA employees and volunteers go around and collect $ from each home owner participating. It can be reinforced by requiring homeowners, that are in good standing OF COURSE, to sign up at the office prior to the event.

SteelMan, why don't you leave her note and let her know how you feel? Maybe she's never received a warning.
I like the idea of having garage sales at our own homes. Don't see a reason for the HOA to come around and collect money. This shouldn't be just for the sake of letting the HOA make more money. Now, if they are allowing sales on any weekend, but limit that to two per year, then they could sell permits at the office ahead of time for a couple of dollars...this way they could track the number of sales a home has. As an alternative, they could allow sales on two specific weekends only...this would have the limit of two instilled in the program and would not create a need to collect any money from residents.

If your ref to SteelMan is about the long grass in a yard by Saxonhill, near Galm Elementary School...if that house has not received a notice, then I would be very surprised. It would also be enough to consider firing the Standards Monitor for that area, the Standards Coordinator, and the Community Manager due to them clearly not doing their jobs. Again, I doubt that is the case though.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:47 AM

41 posts, read 58,321 times
[quote=Spunkymama;11376745]I like the community garage sales but why can't we just have a community garage sale out of our own garages? And just have HOA employees and volunteers go around and collect $ from each home owner participating. It can be reinforced by requiring homeowners, that are in good standing OF COURSE, to sign up at the office prior to the event.

I agree. Garage sales should be just that GARAGE sales! I was driving around this weekend and came across a yard sale (not going to say where, as there are HOA people lurking I am sure). It went off without a hitch acording to her. I do not see what the problem is.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:47 AM

[quote=WC2006;11377995]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunkymama View Post

I agree. Garage sales should be just that GARAGE sales! I was driving around this weekend and came across a yard sale (not going to say where, as there are HOA people lurking I am sure). It went off without a hitch acording to her. I do not see what the problem is.
Their excuse is because no "commercial activity to which the public is invited" is allowed in WC. The Texas State Comptroller does not consider yard sales to be commercial actitivity and thus does not collect sales tax...as long as a person has no more than two per year. Which is why I recommend having two designated Saturdays (lets just say the second Saturday in April and the second Saturday in September) where garage sales are allowed. That limits everyone to no more than two per year and thus is not considered commercial activity. Or...the HOA could "sell" permits for $2 or $3 each, keep a copy in the resident's file, and only allow each address to have two per year...again, not commercial activity that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio