Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 07:44 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,542,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptdad View Post
Ok... this guy is trolling around in Laurel Mountain Ranch today. He has the name "Uku" on a name badge, and is trying to peddle some type of tutoring / educational stuff, etc. Same story... here for the summer from Europe somewhere.....He wasn't on a bike today, he was driving an older faded Grand Am. We think the license is a TX plate HX5 152. We will be alerting BCSD.
thank you ptdad, we live in the same neighborhood. I saw him a few weeks ago but he had the bike then.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,843,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH1960 View Post
Didn't Westcreek look lovely this morning with trashy cardboard signs stuck all over the place advertising "Yard Sale"?! So well organized, continuity with all the signs, people driving and parking all over the place.......:-{ What a nice image for the neighborhood......ugh.....
I was under the impression that signs were to be "rented" from the HOA but all the signs I saw were homemade.

We had one Garage Sale in The Hollow (as far as I know) but there was still a lot of vehicles driving around.

All this could be much better organized. The HOA knows who is participating. Why not set an area (at major entrances) and have a stack of maps with the addresses of the participants???? For Gosh Sakes aren't there only 30 allowed???? . What is that $15.00 fee paying for? I have seen this done elsewhere at it seems to work and it keeps traffic to a minimum in areas where there are no sales.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:41 PM

872 posts, read 1,856,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I was under the impression that signs were to be "rented" from the HOA but all the signs I saw were homemade.

We had one Garage Sale in The Hollow (as far as I know) but there was still a lot of vehicles driving around.

All this could be much better organized. The HOA knows who is participating. Why not set an area (at major entrances) and have a stack of maps with the addresses of the participants???? For Gosh Sakes aren't there only 30 allowed???? . What is that $15.00 fee paying for? I have seen this done elsewhere at it seems to work and it keeps traffic to a minimum in areas where there are no sales.
Saw ZERO extra traffic in my part of WC. The HOA should advertise the fact that WC is having yard sales on the allowed dates to generate more traffic. Afterall, its only 30 out of over 3,400 homes that are allowed to have a sale. If every house wanted to have one yardsale, it would take almost 9.5 YEARS to rotate through each house in WC!

Old 08-15-2010, 04:56 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,843,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Saw ZERO extra traffic in my part of WC. The HOA should advertise the fact that WC is having yard sales on the allowed dates to generate more traffic. Afterall, its only 30 out of over 3,400 homes that are allowed to have a sale. If every house wanted to have one yardsale, it would take almost 9.5 YEARS to rotate through each house in WC!
You're correct about the advertising. A couple of signs on 1604 1-2 days prior would be a great inexpensive way to get the word out. It takes a lot of work to get ready for a Yard Sale so that's the least that could be done for those Folks.

I still don't get that 30 Homes Only Requirement. It may be a way to insure there is always a Community Yard Sale which like everything else is a Revenue Generator. There is no way that will go by the wayside.

Thanks for figuring out the Yard Sale Formula. I'm so glad that we donate all of our items to Goodwill, Medina Children's Home, etc.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:38 PM

186 posts, read 345,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH1960 View Post
Didn't Westcreek look lovely this morning with trashy cardboard signs stuck all over the place advertising "Yard Sale"?! So well organized, continuity with all the signs, people driving and parking all over the place.......:-{ What a nice image for the neighborhood......ugh.....
I thought all of those signs...(most of what I saw were hand lettered) reflected exactly what a formerly nice looking neighborhood can devolve into. If I had wanted to look at that crap I'd have moved into SA. For all of the jerks who supported this garage sale initiative congratulations...now the Villages of WC are really taking on the appearances of being cheap and slumish. Yep...a really nice image we're projecting.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 PM

744 posts, read 1,210,276 times
Cerberus01, I was one that supported this. I will never feel I deserve your label of jerk. I was tired of seeing everyone allowed to take their items to the sports park for the community sale, when my wife is low vision and could not safely participate. I know of several other disabled people in OUR community who also could not participate there. I for one hope you are not the one speaking to any potential home buyer's in our community because I believe your opinions would make us look a whole lot trashier than any of those signs did.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,841,916 times
I'm sorry....I'm sitting here, in total shock and amazement that someone should be so offended by the simple act of a garage sale in the comfort of one's own home, rather than being faced with having to haul it to some central location, set up and then tear down and return to their home. I've heard of some elite neighborhoods with such restrictions. but with all due respect, WC doesn't fit into that description - and personally, I'd be glad.

Hand lettered, factory lettered - either one can look tasteful or tacky - and it may simply be the best that the person can do. Maybe it looks good to THEM. Most of the factory-style garage sale signs I see have such small place to write addy's/directional arrows as to make them essentially unusable, IMO.

We're in a decent neighborhood, and frankly it doesn't bother me to see periodic garage sale signs. If they "forgot" to take them down, I WILL do so for them - and toss 'em in their yard - but other than that, Live and Let Live, I say!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:26 AM

872 posts, read 1,856,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I'm sorry....I'm sitting here, in total shock and amazement that someone should be so offended by the simple act of a garage sale in the comfort of one's own home, rather than being faced with having to haul it to some central location, set up and then tear down and return to their home. I've heard of some elite neighborhoods with such restrictions. but with all due respect, WC doesn't fit into that description - and personally, I'd be glad.

Hand lettered, factory lettered - either one can look tasteful or tacky - and it may simply be the best that the person can do. Maybe it looks good to THEM. Most of the factory-style garage sale signs I see have such small place to write addy's/directional arrows as to make them essentially unusable, IMO.

We're in a decent neighborhood, and frankly it doesn't bother me to see periodic garage sale signs. If they "forgot" to take them down, I WILL do so for them - and toss 'em in their yard - but other than that, Live and Let Live, I say!
And after hauling your items to a central sale point, you had to pay the HOA so that you could set up a spot to sell your own items.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:49 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,841,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
And after hauling your items to a central sale point, you had to pay the HOA so that you could set up a spot to sell your own items.
Gotta admit - ah'm jest ornery 'nuff that I'd run it by mah attorney to look at how enforceable it is. Some restrictions are enforceable, some ain't - and frankly, that seems too onerous of one to let stand.....but that's just me.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:20 PM

242 posts, read 665,748 times
I live in Monticello Ranch, right behind WC, and my husband told me that he saw "bicycle guy" twice today in our community. When I mentioned this to my daughter, she said her friend saw him in Sierra Springs a few weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio