Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 06:44 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,845,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Are you becoming Northwest Profile #80 (Goat Renter Guy)??

That strongly resembles the herd I was going to have shipped down to San Antonio. After a long discussion with myself I decided that it would be much less expensive to continue buying gas for the Toro and doing the yard without the Goats. If my Property Improvement Form was approved by the ARC I'm sure there would be several stipulations such as 3 strands of Barbed Wire verses the 4 that is standard for Goat Grazing.

Heck who knows I may change my mind about the herd. I could supplement my income by opening up a Petting Zoo- Only during the week to cut down on Traffic Congestion (and avoid the expense of VOWCGPZP , Villages of Westcreek Goat Petting Zoo Permit). The sell of Goat Manure is more than likely a money maker and I could lease them out to other neighbors. Maybe not since I'll have to buy a Goat Herding Dog to move them from pasture to pasture. I meant yard to yard.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:45 AM

872 posts, read 1,858,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
That strongly resembles the herd I was going to have shipped down to San Antonio. After a long discussion with myself I decided that it would be much less expensive to continue buying gas for the Toro and doing the yard without the Goats. If my Property Improvement Form was approved by the ARC I'm sure there would be several stipulations such as 3 strands of Barbed Wire verses the 4 that is standard for Goat Grazing.

Heck who knows I may change my mind about the herd. I could supplement my income by opening up a Petting Zoo- Only during the week to cut down on Traffic Congestion (and avoid the expense of VOWCGPZP , Villages of Westcreek Goat Petting Zoo Permit). The sell of Goat Manure is more than likely a money maker and I could lease them out to other neighbors. Maybe not since I'll have to buy a Goat Herding Dog to move them from pasture to pasture. I meant yard to yard.
1. No farm animals allowed per our HOA documents.
2. No barbed wire allowed per our HOA documents.
3. No commercial activity to which the public is invited per our HOA documents.

Sounds like continuing with the Toro is the way to go.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM

8 posts, read 10,690 times
You raised a good point wc2005 regarding 'no activities to which the general public are invited'. That means NO yard sales which the new 'Standards' have instituted in direct violation of the Deed Restrictions. The new Board members will not last long if they do not reverse this decision.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1992 View Post
You raised a good point wc2005 regarding 'no activities to which the general public are invited'. That means NO yard sales which the new 'Standards' have instituted in direct violation of the Deed Restrictions. The new Board members will not last long if they do not reverse this decision.
Not so fast... part of the reason this changed was the FACT that the State of Texas does not consider yard sales to be commercial activity (in that they don't collect sales tax) as long as a person has no more than two per year.

“A permit and collection of the tax are required if a person holds more than two sales a year (e.g., a continuing garage sale), if a person is reselling property upon which sales tax was not originally paid, or if the person is selling new property which was not owned and used by the person prior to the sale.”
This means state law allows an individual to have two garage sales per 12 month period without applying for a sales tax permit and/or without paying sales taxes. The third garage sale the seller must pay taxes because at that point it is considered a business. (Tax Code Section 151.304 – Occassional Sales.)

The previous restrictions of no yard sales was actually incorrect the whole time. We now have correct wording related to allowing yard sales in WC. Now on with the sales.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:08 PM

8 posts, read 10,690 times
I disagree but will defer to a legal opinion at a later date if necessary. Every homeowner enters into a contract to abide by the established and published Deed Restrictions when they buy their home. Thta is a binding contract.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1992 View Post
I disagree but will defer to a legal opinion at a later date if necessary. Every homeowner enters into a contract to abide by the established and published Deed Restrictions when they buy their home. Thta is a binding contract.
Yep, and the Standards can be changed easily by the HOA. The CC&R requires a vote by homeowners. Why would you even mention legal opinion...as if you'd sue because of yard sales??? Read the new Standards and you'll see that they're only allowed once per month and only 30 homes on the day they are allowed. This isn't a huge change but will allow homeowners to get rid of some stuff that otherwise may clutter their yards/homes and not help the community at all or may go to the landfill. Relax a bit.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:32 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,845,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Yep, and the Standards can be changed easily by the HOA. The CC&R requires a vote by homeowners. Why would you even mention legal opinion...as if you'd sue because of yard sales??? Read the new Standards and you'll see that they're only allowed once per month and only 30 homes on the day they are allowed. This isn't a huge change but will allow homeowners to get rid of some stuff that otherwise may clutter their yards/homes and not help the community at all or may go to the landfill. Relax a bit.
Here's a funny story (not ha ha, but funny as in a dumb ass comment). Several years ago I had a HOA Employee visit with me at my home concernnig some sort of issue. With all the crap I've tried to right and have complained about I honestly can't say what the issue was. The question has always been in the back of my mind in that this individual did not know his butt from a hole in the ground or did not want to deal with me. Anyway I was told the the Standards could never be changed. I knew they could but that shows the arrogance of the HOA Staff back then. I've been bucked off many horses and steers, but not once did I hit my head.

That was under the previous Community Manager's "regime".

On another note. Why is it when a Man goes into Lowes or the Home Depot for one thing they leave with a cart full of stuff whether it's needed or not? We too can be dangerous shoppers. I know, I did that Thursday night and this morning at Lowes.

Last edited by wellguy; 05-01-2010 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-01-2010, 12:19 PM

186 posts, read 345,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
I don't agree with the yard sale decision...frankly I don't like the thought of unwanted strangers in our community...but...that's a red herring. On a serious note...if (in my estimation)this type of activity poses a threat to community public safety I won't hesitate to get the BCSO, County Fire Marshal and local Emergency Services District involved. In some areas of WC clogged streets (parking on both sides) will prevent emergency vehicles from gaining access to a medical or fire emergency. It would be a real shame if emergency response crews had to stand by unble to attack a residential fire or emergency medical responders had to finish the last block of their response on foot because of a idiotic sidewalk/yard sale blocking narrow streets. If this activity were to prevent a needed response to my household or neighbors household I would want to see heads on pikes lining Military drive. I think the yard sale decision should be recinded.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus01 View Post
I don't agree with the yard sale decision...frankly I don't like the thought of unwanted strangers in our community...but...that's a red herring. On a serious note...if (in my estimation)this type of activity poses a threat to community public safety I won't hesitate to get the BCSO, County Fire Marshal and local Emergency Services District involved. In some areas of WC clogged streets (parking on both sides) will prevent emergency vehicles from gaining access to a medical or fire emergency. It would be a real shame if emergency response crews had to stand by unble to attack a residential fire or emergency medical responders had to finish the last block of their response on foot because of a idiotic sidewalk/yard sale blocking narrow streets. If this activity were to prevent a needed response to my household or neighbors household I would want to see heads on pikes lining Military drive. I think the yard sale decision should be recinded.
30 homes out of 3,400 having a yard sale will generate much less traffic than October Fest. How about we lets Americans enjoy some freedoms instead of restricting everything!

Old 05-01-2010, 01:18 PM

186 posts, read 345,645 times
Gosh!!! Putting yard sales ahead of public safety what a novel concept..besides Octoberfest is/was not held on on the residential streets of WC and didn't impede "residential" traffic. I just flatly oppose turning WC into a community of residential flea markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio