Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM

797 posts, read 2,995,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
My mom or dad have been known to knock at a door or two to see if someone needed help. If its a home that the yard is always kept up and suddenly starts going downhill, something may have happened. I remember one home where the husband was in intensive care and the wife was at the hospital as much as she could and would go straight over after work. Needless to say, the yard became a very low priority. My dad just went over one weekend and cut her yard. We got some tamales at Christmas. You may not get food and we weren't expecting anything in return but it felt good just to help her out.
I love your suggestion, I was thinking about this when I passed the house I mentioned before again yesterday. I can't figure out what would lead a home owner to let it go as far as it has gone. I feel like it would be worth it just to help anyone who is trying to sell in the Westcreek Forest part of the Villages, every potential buyer has to pass this house and see the mess.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:25 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,143,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
I love your suggestion, I was thinking about this when I passed the house I mentioned before again yesterday. I can't figure out what would lead a home owner to let it go as far as it has gone. I feel like it would be worth it just to help anyone who is trying to sell in the Westcreek Forest part of the Villages, every potential buyer has to pass this house and see the mess.
I don't think there is any HOA rule/law that says you can't mow another person's yard.
Kudos to you for thinking of your fellow neighbor!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:15 PM

80 posts, read 195,932 times
In our previous neighborhood my husband would mow our neighbor's yard when he was doing ours. Our neighbor was elderly and DH would say it was no big deal since he was already out there. The neighbor would always bring us tamales, tacos, or whatever.

Our neighbor placed his home up for sale and needless to say he couldn't sell it. It sat on the market for over 6 months. When we put our house up for sale we sold in 60 days. Our neighbor said he really needed to get out of the neighborhood and wanted an apartment (due to upkeep of the yard, etc.) and rented to us for 3 months (at a reasonable rate) until our home in WC was completed. So I think there is a lot to say about being neighborly.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:23 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,143,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserve at WC View Post
Our neighbor placed his home up for sale and needless to say he couldn't sell it. It sat on the market for over 6 months. When we put our house up for sale we sold in 60 days..
What do you think was the reason for his home staying in the market longer?

Old 04-26-2010, 02:30 PM

80 posts, read 195,932 times
The house was only about 6 years old but it was small, floor plan wasn't very good and he didn't "stage" his house well for selling. His lawn was mowed but that's it. He didn't have any curb appeal. My neighbors before he bought from them had trouble selling also. When they tried to sell it sat on the market for about 7 months before he bought it. I think we were lucky because we had a corner lot with a huge front and backyard. Not to mention the neighbors to the right of him (if facing his house) was a disaster. Four cars parked in the driveway one on the grass and another on the curb. It was bad. HOA wrote the up. They didn't care.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:51 PM

872 posts, read 1,858,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I don't think there is any HOA rule/law that says you can't mow another person's yard.
Kudos to you for thinking of your fellow neighbor!
DW and I mowed our neighbor's last week...because life is keeping the neighbor busy right now.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:27 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,847,284 times
Those are all great suggestins to help out a neighbor in need, elderly, deployed, etc. I too have helped those in need or sometimes I mowed too far over the line and thought what the heck, I'm not mowing a Horse Pasture so I kept on going.
What yanks my chain are the ones who are to damn lazy to get their butts out and mow, weed, etc. their postage stamp sized yard. It's strange that one has time to plop down in front of the tv or BBQ but no time to tend to their yard. My Gosh that would be 1-2 hours every week or maybe every other week.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:34 AM

71 posts, read 110,050 times
For some strange reason after treating the weeds on the yard with Scott's weed and feed spending over $200.00 I got more weird looking weed's than ever and don't know if i should go and spend more money to do it my self or hire someone. Another thing that bug's me is that my corner neighbor since the day their house was build they never kept up with the yard and it has tones of weed's they are growing like tree's, the front yard never had grass put in. When i first saw that i knew this was going to happen, I hate it, they have going letter's left on their door and nothing! Kid's come around asking to mow are lawn's and I tell them go next door and tell them you notice they have a jungle growing in their back yard and you would like to know if they want it mowed, but they always tell them no we'll do it.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,435,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post

That's why we didn't buy in WC, unfortunately. We liked it, but we just couldn't get past the lack of enforcement on the part of the HOA.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:20 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,837,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
That's why we didn't buy in WC, unfortunately. We liked it, but we just couldn't get past the lack of enforcement on the part of the HOA.
I don't blame you one bit. It won't nowhere but downhill when we were there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio