Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,836,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Quit bashing San Antonio. If you have nothing nice to say, then......
Feel free to use the "ignore" feature. Until then, you'll have to deal with it.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reserve at WC View Post
Maybe..or maybe not, FCF. Or I just like to view the glass as half full as opposed to half empty and right now I love WC. I think anyplace you land is what you make it. So if all the new home builders see WC as I do they are going to do everything they can to keep their properties up to par. Which is good for the entire village.

From what I've read the past few weeks, FCF you are moving so I hope you view your new home the way I view WC. I really do wish you the best of luck.

Take a look at the forum section of this web site that one other poster had mentioned. It's fairly new...but you can see the folks starting to report crimes and it ain't pretty.

Homeowners of Westcreek

Old 03-31-2010, 07:30 PM

80 posts, read 195,644 times
Default There is crime everywhere

Unfortunately, crime is everywhere. The Dominion is not even immune to it. I'm not trying to change your mind that WC is a great place but you're not going to change my mind and convince me this place is like Compton. (Yes, I know you didn't specifically mention Compton). I appreciate your opinions and realize this place isn't for everyone. At the sports park I've met several people from different subdivions of WC who have nothing but good things to say. So I think it's a matter of who you talk to.

My family and I love The Reserves and love all the things WC has to offer. I guess I pose my question again, for those who have been here for years and think the place is going downhill have any of you done anything to at least try to change things? I mean why wouldn't people want to do whatever they could to protect one of their largest investments?

Again, FCF I wish you the best of luck with your move and I hope it's everything you want.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, crime is everywhere. The Dominion is not even immune to it. I'm not trying to change your mind that WC is a great place but you're not going to change my mind and convince me this place is like Compton. (Yes, I know you didn't specifically mention Compton). I appreciate your opinions and realize this place isn't for everyone. At the sports park I've met several people from different subdivions of WC who have nothing but good things to say. So I think it's a matter of who you talk to.

My family and I love The Reserves and love all the things WC has to offer. I guess I pose my question again, for those who have been here for years and think the place is going downhill have any of you done anything to at least try to change things? I mean why wouldn't people want to do whatever they could to protect one of their largest investments?

Again, FCF I wish you the best of luck with your move and I hope it's everything you want.
The HOA is uncooperative. The COP program has been started. The fence issue was a disaster and the homeowners were lied to. The budget is in question...and there is now talk that it's $130,000 short and no one knows what happened to the money. In short, it's a mess.
Complaints fall on deaf ears. It's been tried. Wellguy can fill you in on more of that stuff...he's been here a long time.
My move here was only temporary, as we had a family situation that needed tending to. We're going back to where we came from (North County, San Diego)...we don't like this city at all.
You've said that you've been following this thread, so there is no doubt that you've seen the futility of folks' efforts.
You're right, no place is immune to crime. This place is getting to be ridiculous though. There were 3 robberies on my street less than 2 weeks ago and a few more in Highpoint. I have personally followed suspicious vehicles around (and reported license plates) in broad daylight. It seems that the new neighborhoods stay nice for a year or two, then they are put onto some type of target list with the others.
I won't say that you've made the wrong decision to buy in WC, but the handwriting is on the wall (and sprayed on some homeowner's garage doors). Sad thing is, it's probably going to get worse before it get's better (and I hope it does get better, for those that choose to stay here). My house is going to become another one of those rentals soon.
3 weeks to go for us.
and no..it's not Compton. I've actually been there! Don't ask.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 03-31-2010 at 08:18 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 08:37 PM

56 posts, read 75,277 times
To Reserve At Westcreek!

Don't know if you heard about the Homeowners of Westcreek group but they have a website and forum set up to keep the homeowners informed about what is going on in the community. The neat thing about them is that on their forum you can ask the candidates questions on any topics and they are responding. Only four of the candidates that are running have signed up to participate. Don't know why the others have not taken advantage of this. They also have an area where you can make recommendations on how to improve Westcreek. They have been fighting hard for months and you can already start seeing a difference.

Are there problems in Westcreek, Yes! But what makes Westcreek different is that homeowners are concerned and are slowly getting involved. Many neigborhoods go down because homeowners just give up and become apathetic. We are glad you love the neighborhood but please don't get discouraged. Get involved. I think FirstClassFlyer's tag line says it all "If you're not the solution,you're the problem!!"

Here is the link to their website and you can join the forum from there.

www.homeownersofwestcreek.com

Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,080,199 times
Reserve at WC,
Yes, there are many of us who do care and tried to make WC what it can be. However, you must realize you are in the Reserve-- it is brand new. Highpoint was just like that a few years ago. The problem is Armadillo and Lennar put anybody breathing into these homes. Young couples making $40,000 a year, people from Mexico with no income; these are just two of many situations I know of. Fast forward a couple of years, the economy tanks, sub-primes re-set, etc. and people walk away. The walk-aways hurt those of us who actually qualified for the home, put money down, and pay our mortgages. The banks have re-sold many of the homes, but for much lower prices. Hence, the rest of us are upsidedown. Fair? No, but we will continue to honor our obligations. We signed a contract and just b/c others have no integrity doesn't mean we would do the same. It's not just HP... ALL of the new subdivisions from that time are going through the same problem. Just look at the foreclosure maps each month. This far-west side, which was booming a few short years ago, is really hurting. The 151/1601 area has to work through this cycle. The people who have been in their homes for longer here in WC wouldn't notice so much drop in value should they decide to sell.
It's funny to me that on the Potranco thread somebody made a rude comment about military people buying and then selling homes when they PCS. Do you know what would happen to this housing market if all military people in SA walked away from their homes or stopped buying them? Military people are the ones NOT walking away... at least we find renters and at least we actually have jobs to pay the mortgage.
Please check out HOW... they need each and every person who wants to continue to make WC home!

Last edited by Sharpydove; 04-01-2010 at 06:52 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 AM

80 posts, read 195,644 times
A few days ago I've looked through the HOW website also and will definitely join that forum also. I also read about the candidates and like what I've ready but everyone sounds good on paper. I'm assuming the HOA will not have a meet the candidate forum prior to the election?

I knew when I posted I would get some negative feedback but that's OK. I value all sides of an opinion. But I'm not discourage. I can't say enough how much I love my subdivision and WC in general. We are military and the hopes is my husband will be retiring soon.

The same thing happened in our previous subdivision. Several foreclosures, too many renters and owners who didn't care about their properties. We had an HOA but they couldn't do much to enforce the rules no matter how hard they tried. Even through all that we were able to sell our previous home in less than 60 days at a profit. We personally just took pride in our home.

Speaking from personal experience the rules on obtaining a home loan is much stricter than it was a few years ago. I agree I think anyone was allowed to qualify a few years back. I personally think its much harder to get a home loan nowadays. So hopefully foreclousres, not just for WC but the nation in general, will begin to decline.

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 AM

56 posts, read 75,277 times
Quote:
A few days ago I've looked through the HOW website also and will definitely join that forum also. I also read about the candidates and like what I've ready but everyone sounds good on paper. I'm assuming the HOA will not have a meet the candidate forum prior to the election?

I knew when I posted I would get some negative feedback but that's OK. I value all sides of an opinion. But I'm not discourage. I can't say enough how much I love my subdivision and WC in general. We are military and the hopes is my husband will be retiring soon.

The same thing happened in our previous subdivision. Several foreclosures, too many renters and owners who didn't care about their properties. We had an HOA but they couldn't do much to enforce the rules no matter how hard they tried. Even through all that we were able to sell our previous home in less than 60 days at a profit. We personally just took pride in our home.

Speaking from personal experience the rules on obtaining a home loan is much stricter than it was a few years ago. I agree I think anyone was allowed to qualify a few years back. I personally think its much harder to get a home loan nowadays. So hopefully foreclousres, not just for WC but the nation in general, will begin to decline.

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback.
I just read on the HOW website and they are reporting that there is going to be a "Meet and Greet the Candidate" session at the Community Center on April 10th afterall. It sounds like all the candidates will be there.

This is a shock since the HOA President initially shot this idea down!

Just realized that 3 weeks from today, we will seat a new Board of Directors and then hopefully see some real positive and tangible changes take place.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:59 PM

186 posts, read 345,756 times
Cool Important Census Info

Brain candy regarding the upcoming census taking activity!

Fraudulent Activity and Scams

The Census Bureau uses a workforce of trained federal employees to conduct a variety of household and business surveys by telephone, in-person interviews, through the mail, and in limited cases through the Internet. We understand your personal information is sensitive, and go to great lengths to protect the data we collect. Although we cannot stop or warn against all bogus or false collections of data -- here are some tips to help you recognize fraudulent activity or unofficial data collections.
If you are contacted for any of the following reasons -- Do Not Participate. It is NOT the U.S. Census Bureau.
Phishing:

'Phishing' is the criminally fraudulent process of attempting to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, social security numbers, bank account or credit card details by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication. Phishing is typically carried out by email and it often directs users to enter sensitive information at a fake web site whose look and feel are almost identical to the legitimate one.
Other Scams:
  • The Census Bureau does NOT conduct the 2010 Census via the Internet
  • The Census Bureau does not send emails about participating in the 2010 Census
  • The Census Bureau never:
    • Asks for your full social security number
    • Asks for money or a donation
    • Sends requests on behalf of a political party
    • Requests PIN codes, passwords or similar access information for credit cards, banks or other financial accounts.
How to report scams and bogus Census web sites

If you believe you have been contacted as part of bogus or fraudulent activity falsely representing the Census Bureau:
  • In Person Scam
    • Check for a valid Census ID badge
    • Call your regional office to verify you are in a survey
  • Email Scams
    • If you think it is a bogus email, do not reply or click on any links within the email.
    • Do not open any attachments. Attachments may contain code that could infect your computer
    • Forward the email or web site URL to the Census Bureau at ITSO.Fraud.Reporting@census.gov.
    • After you forward the email to us, delete the message. You will not receive a confirmation email after forwarding the information to us. However, the Census Bureau will investigate the information and notify you of its findings.
  • Mail Scams
Is your survey legitimate?

You may further verify if a collection activity is legitimate by calling your regional census office regarding mail surveys, and our National Processing Center for phone surveys. Other questions may be answered through our Are You In a Survey? page.

If you have questions about the legitimate identity of your census taker you can call 877-233-4776 and verify their identity.

Hope everyone will find this info useful...or at least prompt you to put your head in the game should a stranger come knocking at your door or call you on the phone.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,682,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Reserve at WC,
Yes, there are many of us who do care and tried to make WC what it can be. However, you must realize you are in the Reserve-- it is brand new. Highpoint was just like that a few years ago. The problem is Armadillo and Lennar put anybody breathing into these homes. Young couples making $40,000 a year, people from Mexico with no income; these are just two of many situations I know of. Fast forward a couple of years, the economy tanks, sub-primes re-set, etc. and people walk away. The walk-aways hurt those of us who actually qualified for the home, put money down, and pay our mortgages. The banks have re-sold many of the homes, but for much lower prices. Hence, the rest of us are upsidedown. Fair? No, but we will continue to honor our obligations. We signed a contract and just b/c others have no integrity doesn't mean we would do the same. It's not just HP... ALL of the new subdivisions from that time are going through the same problem. Just look at the foreclosure maps each month. This far-west side, which was booming a few short years ago, is really hurting. The 151/1601 area has to work through this cycle. The people who have been in their homes for longer here in WC wouldn't notice so much drop in value should they decide to sell.
It's funny to me that on the Potranco thread somebody made a rude comment about military people buying and then selling homes when they PCS. Do you know what would happen to this housing market if all military people in SA walked away from their homes or stopped buying them? Military people are the ones NOT walking away... at least we find renters and at least we actually have jobs to pay the mortgage.
Please check out HOW... they need each and every person who wants to continue to make WC home!
What you say is true. I remember when HighPoint was just beginning. Back then the prices weren't too bad, but as the market improved, Lennar kept raising their prices $10,000 about every 6 months as seen on their billboards on Military Drive West. Buyers incomes were not increasing that fast, but creative financing and incentives filled the gap. Medallion Homes on Potranco quickly raised their prices too, but IMO, the Lenar and Armidillo homes in HighPoint homes look better and some of the homes had great views. Another problem just across the street (Westcreek View) is the Vistas of Westcreek where Centex sold many homes to investors. Birchwood Bay is a good example when you see about 5 or more houses for rent when the homes were less than a year old. This reminded me of what Ray Ellison did in Heritage off Potranco many years ago by selling many new houses to investors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio