Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2009, 02:24 PM

43 posts, read 55,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
This is a GREAT example why we need to know more about that person besides his / her Education, Years of Employment, Awards, etc.

As I have said prior we need to know how they will change and run the operation as it should be.

His/her education doesn't mean squat. I agree more needs to be known about the person besides of an impressive resume. Madhoff had an impressive resume....need I say more? If you have someone run for the board who has been a board member in the past, you can easily research old minutes to see what the person stood for and how they voted on the board. Over time most people tend to stick to their convictions and typically don't waiver much, if at all. Past history can be a positive predictor for future behavior.

Another person you don't need on the board is an elitest who thinks they know it all and may not be willing to be flexible. Everyone is not right all the time.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:28 PM

41 posts, read 58,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Not enough people care.I suspect the reason that they don't care is that this is such a low priced HOA, people don't expect much. Folks get their pools, sports park etc and they are happy for <$300/year. Their day to day lives aren't affected very much by the corrupt board, so they pay their dues and keep on truckin'. They vote for whoever writes a nice little bit in the newsletter. Sad, but true.

When the meetings garner a 25-35 person attendance, and there are 3000+ homes, that should tell you something.
One HOA that I'm a member of, gets that type of attendance with only 36 units..that's right 36 units!! (no, it's not to impress Mr Big Balls (I'm a lightweight remember , just illustrating that when people care, they attend)
I would agree with most of your comments. It is a shame that more people do not care enough to get involved. I do think the low assessments play arole. That is why I think the previous BODs have done a disservice to the VOWC, by not keeping up with inflation (at least) and periodically raising assessments. I do not think we would have the problems that we have now, if they would have planned ahead. Obviously, there would be an understanding of good stewardship form the BOD. But thin of it, we could have a pool area that rivals Alamo Ranch for the kids, we would have the $$ to pay off the building early. Speaking of the building, we would have a better building/pavillion, etc. We could develope the area behind the Comm Ctr with picnic tables, walking trails, mountain biking, etc. The BOD would not have to take every opportunity to squeeze us for money on the activities.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:56 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,845,412 times
I really don't feel that the assessments play a role when it comes to those that do or do not care.

As I have said in the past that we (as a Community and "we" is used a a general term) tend to live within our own little postage stamp and whatever happens outside our property line is of no concern. Yes some may gripe to their neighbor (when they meet outside doing yardwork) about happenings within their Village or Community but they do not gripe to the right people. (Not that they are the right people but they are in a position to make a change or correct a wrong)

I know that there are many folks that are only here for 3-4 years then they are gone. I also appreciate that there are those that work odd hours, have children, attend evening school, and they cannot attend meetings.

There are many though that can and for some reason do not. I will admit as I have in the past that I have not attended a majority of the Monthly BOD Meetings in the 10 years that we have lived here. If you were to ask me why ,I would have to say that I selected to deal with the BOD /HOA Staff on a one on one type of relationship (not a loving one by any means). I learned many times that I was dealing with extremely arrogant individuals who could have cared less and that I was not going to step on their feet. They were not going to admit that there was a better way. In turn I burned my bridges and there is no coming back once you have pissed them off. I am bull headed (and it has nothing to do with being kicked by one, a true story. Right smack in the middle of my head) and I hold my head high when I need to fight and give it all I've got.

Many years ago my Wife who is a HELL of a lot smarter than I am told me "I was fighting a losing battle". Basically telling me that they (BOD /HOA Staff) were set in their ways and there was no changing their minds. As if it would offend them to do so.

Last edited by wellguy; 11-28-2009 at 03:05 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 02:59 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,834,108 times
Wellguy-
Since you seem to be amongst the most tenured residents here...can you give everyone an idea what the BOD was like 10 years ago?

Old 11-28-2009, 03:37 PM

66 posts, read 84,061 times
Default We Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Not enough people care.I suspect the reason that they don't care is that this is such a low priced HOA, people don't expect much. Folks get their pools, sports park etc and they are happy for <$300/year. Their day to day lives aren't affected very much by the corrupt board, so they pay their dues and keep on truckin'. They vote for whoever writes a nice little bit in the newsletter. Sad, but true.

When the meetings garner a 25-35 person attendance, and there are 3000+ homes, that should tell you something.
One HOA that I'm a member of, gets that type of attendance with only 36 units..that's right 36 units!! (no, it's not to impress Mr Big Balls (I'm a lightweight remember , just illustrating that when people care, they attend)

We have been attending meetings since JM & the castle had room for HO'S.
We had a problem child for a neighbor.

The meetings grew in size after the event with the 2 Seniors and EJ.
These meetings were in conference room.
We had to support these 2 women, as they did not deserve what
was handed to them. REMEMBER these 2 women did not LIE!
OH, and the best part the BOD had to hire a BCSD to protect them
from HO's who wanted EJ fired.
The meetings seemed to take on a new energy of HO'S involved.
Now, after that the WC group for change put flyers on garage doors, HO's seemed to come out of the woodwork.
Then the 1st Townhall meeting. {WOW, MORE HO's came}

All the people turned out due to frustration, anger,
& the need for questons to be answered.
Questions were not answered,
BOD had superior attitude, and HO's probably thought/think,
I/THEY cannot effect change.

Mr Severs stated that the security system was approx.
$3000. It had already been approved by the BOD.
When questioned he stated it was
due do a incident that happened this last smmer.
WHO! is this to PROTECT?

The Nov meeting had approx. 20-25 people. We do not know how
a committee that is to be formed of BOD/? Staff, to elect new BOD
representatives is done. Just that it is to be done to accept BIO's
of HO's in good standing {of course.} Now had we not attended that
meeting we would not know that BIO's, must be submitted by
12/1 to go into the newsletter. That's when we were
told DEC meeting will be closed to HO's. No reason given!

QUESTIONS WERE ASKED with the purpose of HO's giving
talks to HO's regarding qualifications in a open forum.
Questions & answers could be asked of a prospective candidate.
CH said that had never been done before, they/BOD would
take that under advisement.

Last edited by Joe Joe The Dog Faced Boy; 11-28-2009 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Important info left out!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:07 PM

43 posts, read 55,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC2006 View Post
I would agree with most of your comments. It is a shame that more people do not care enough to get involved. I do think the low assessments play arole. That is why I think the previous BODs have done a disservice to the VOWC, by not keeping up with inflation (at least) and periodically raising assessments. I do not think we would have the problems that we have now, if they would have planned ahead. Obviously, there would be an understanding of good stewardship form the BOD. But thin of it, we could have a pool area that rivals Alamo Ranch for the kids, we would have the $$ to pay off the building early. Speaking of the building, we would have a better building/pavillion, etc. We could develope the area behind the Comm Ctr with picnic tables, walking trails, mountain biking, etc. The BOD would not have to take every opportunity to squeeze us for money on the activities.
You may have more in attendance at the meetings if the meetings were not held at 6:00 p.m. Did it ever occur to anyone that the meetings are held at 6:00 p.m. to keep attendance down? That would guarantee "controlled meetings", right? 7:00 p.m. or 7:30 p.m. would be a better meeting time.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Default Meeting Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinRogue View Post
You may have more in attendance at the meetings if the meetings were not held at 6:00 p.m. Did it ever occur to anyone that the meetings are held at 6:00 p.m. to keep attendance down? That would guarantee "controlled meetings", right? 7:00 p.m. or 7:30 p.m. would be a better meeting time.
We know many people that can not attend meetings,
due to work/time constraints. The meetings should
be at a better time for participation. You are right!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:42 PM

160 posts, read 234,179 times
If this was important enough to those that get home a little later, they can take an hour off from work. It still boils down to... people just don't care.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:16 PM

778 posts, read 2,506,014 times
Just out of curiosity, what do members of VOWC HOA get for the $300 per year assessment? What sort of amenities and services are offered for $300?

In the GNW, we pay $222 and have a whole lot to offer (we have a staff of more than a dozen), but of course, it is an older, more established community.

I guess to try to understand some of the concerns folks have with the board in VOWC, I'm trying to figure out what it is you get for the $300?

Old 11-28-2009, 05:16 PM

Default *Just pay Assesments*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCF's Wife View Post
If this was important enough to those that get home a little later, they can take an hour off from work. It still boils down to... people just don't care.
Do you honestly believe this? What
has this BOD/HOA given back to HO's?
Since EJ tenure began everything
has been taken away from HO's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio