Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 08:22 AM

872 posts, read 1,867,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeblue View Post
Steel Man. What does BTW mean? Why are you so angry with me? It has got to be more than my Blue Letters. If they are too colorful for you put a pair of shades on. I am only utilizing the tools on the thread.

Why can't we all just get along.
It means By The Way...

Old 09-25-2009, 08:46 AM

33 posts, read 51,136 times
Default Everyone is accepted at the town hall meeting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I know the joys of shift work, which is why I'm posting this at almost 3:00 AM

I'll look for my ID this weekend and get it updated. I really want to meet some of these people and a little excitement wouldn't hurt either. Too bad the weather will be a lot hotter than it is now.
ANYONE CAN COME TO THE TOWN HALL MEETING EVEN RENTERS. MR. SEVERS SAID ALL RESIDENTS EVEN THOSE NOT IN GOOD STANDING WILL BE ABLE TO ATTEND.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:53 AM

186 posts, read 347,166 times
Default Security in Westcreek

Let me see...there are approx 8760 hours in a calendar year x $10-$15.00 hr (ballpark figure)= $131,400 per year(approx) on the high end, and 87k on the low end. This doesn't count overtime and hidden overhead that might be built into a contract. Now comes the fun part...when working with private security contractors you have no idea who you might be dealing with. Security companies talk a good line citing employee background checks (criminal & financial)...but most of these checks are conducted locally and national checks cost $$ prompting companies to cut corners. This could go on ad nauseum.

Professional guard forces are found in the likes of the former Blackwater Corp, General Dynamics, GSA Federal Protective Services, and Dept of Energy contract guard services. Most local "security" companies can't come close to what I believe you want for Westcreek.

My question is why HOA members would be willing to place responsibility for their community safety and security in the hands of total strangers. They don't live here...thus they have no vested interest in this community save the paycheck they are working for.

If HOA members fear for their safety and security then they should get involved with their community...Neighborhood Watch or Cellular On Patrol programs if available. Its cheaper and usually more reliable than relying on strangers. Private security has no more authority than any private citizen when it comes to proposed security activities. Anyone can effect a citizens arrest...the same goes for private security...they can only effect a citizens arrest. This applies to either commissioned or non commissioned security. I personally don't relish the presence of marginally trained armed or unarmed "strangers" driving around my neighborhood.

Why pay for "eyes and ears" in the community when all we have to do is get off of our duffs and volunteer to do perform the same activities..."observe and report" suspicious activity to the Sheriff's Dept. After all ...volunteering to support your own community isn't rocket science

Cereberus

Old 09-25-2009, 09:00 AM

Smile Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf View Post
homeowners just need to show up. We need to encourage our neighbors to attend. I have been trying to get off from work since i work evenings right now it looks like i won't be there unless i can trade shifts with someone.
We worked shift work for years. We want to meet everyone who wants change for this community. Thank-you for getting the word out. If you can't make the meeting we will keep you informed and perhaps have a meeting with you at your convenience.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:07 AM

34 posts, read 55,624 times
I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE INDIVIDUAL THAT POSTED THIS, BUT CONSTABLES WORKED FOR THEM.

I know this in none of my business but I’ve gotten interested in your thread since I’m active in my HOA. (nice to learn stuff from y’all)

FYI – I think originally the COPS program required more of a time commitment. Now it is what you make of it. After you take the certification class you can be the eyes and ears of the neighborhood or patrol. Whatever you like. If you have at least 10 people signed up the police will come to your neighborhood or clubhouse and hold a certification class. Our neighborhood is organizing a COPS group now.

Also – For years we paid a rent a cop to patrol our neighborhood. (400 homes is tiny compared to yours) They seemed to be afraid of their own shadows and were totally ineffective. We paid them $20 an hour for 8 hours of patrol a day. A few months ago we switched to Constables who look mighty official in their Constable cars and uniforms. The change has been terrific. We now pay $40 per hour but they only patrol 4 hours a day (varied schedule) so our yearly expense is the same. A staggering $45,000 per year IMO. It’s a lot but the residents are happy.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
It means By The Way...
CODE BLUE IS A VERY SPECIAL PERSON IN OUR LIVES. WE ARE NOT IN THE AGE OF ALL THE NEW ABBREVATIONS. OH BY THE WAY (STEEL MAN) GET OFF CODE BLUE!!!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:45 AM

35 posts, read 55,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
There is no reason to check ID's to attend a meeting. However, they could be checked to ensure that you are a "member in good standing" if there was a vote. This is another reason that Texas Property Code 209 needs to be changed so that certain paragraphs do pertain to us.
Texas State Senators

Senate District 19--Senator Carlos I. Uresti
Capitol Office: EXT E1.810
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0119
Capitol Address: P.O. Box 12068, Capitol Station
Austin, TX 78711
District Address: 2530 SW Military Drive, Suite 103
San Antonio TX 78224
Phone: (210) 932-2568
State District Offices

Senate District 26--
Senator Leticia Van de Putte
Capitol Office: EXT E1.704
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0126
Capitol Address: P.O. Box 12068, Capitol Station
Austin, TX 78711
District Address: 700 N. Saint Mary's St., Suite 1725
San Antonio TX 78205
Phone: (210) 733-6604
State District Offices
Texas State Representatives

House District 117--Representative David Leibowitz
Capitol Office: EXT E2.410
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0269
Capitol Address: P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768
District Address: 9107 Marbach Rd.,, Suite 111
San Antonio TX 78245
Phone: (210) 372-0759

House District 124--
Representative Jose Menendez
Capitol Office: EXT E2.204
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0634
Austin, TX 78768
District Address: 7121 US Hwy. 90 West, Ste. 240
San Antonio TX 78227
Phone: (210) 673-3579

House District 80--
Representative Tracy O. King
Capitol Office: EXT E1.304
Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0194
Austin, TX 78768
District Address: 1995 Williams Street
Eagle Pass TX 78852
Phone: (830) 773-0860

Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM

487 posts, read 1,124,809 times
That would be me. Thanks to whomever pointed out that my math was incorrect. The management company put the incorrect amount in the column. It should have read $58,652.00. I KNOW that sounds like a lot. But everyone is really happy with the Constables. They are regular law enforcement peace officers, wear uniforms, carry weapons, can detain individuals, run plate numbers on the spot . . . and provide us with monthly reports of all activity.
As I said we hire them for 4 hours a day. Their ever changing schedule has made them very effective. So effective that we discussed reducing their hours to save $$ but decided to stick with the same schedule for at least another 6 months. We still have problems but we could see immediate improvement in vandalism and speeders the first month they were hired.
The main thing is to train your residents to call 911 in emergencies and #207-7273 for non-emergencies. Our taxes pay for the police and we should get our $$$ worth. I have had great response out to the non emergency number. People should keep it posted.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 AM

35 posts, read 55,640 times
I think we shuold be looking to hiring constables for security see post by codeblue above

Old 09-25-2009, 09:57 AM

872 posts, read 1,867,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus01 View Post
Let me see...there are approx 8760 hours in a calendar year x $10-$15.00 hr (ballpark figure)= $131,400 per year(approx) on the high end, and 87k on the low end. This doesn't count overtime and hidden overhead that might be built into a contract. Now comes the fun part...when working with private security contractors you have no idea who you might be dealing with. Security companies talk a good line citing employee background checks (criminal & financial)...but most of these checks are conducted locally and national checks cost $$ prompting companies to cut corners. This could go on ad nauseum.

Professional guard forces are found in the likes of the former Blackwater Corp, General Dynamics, GSA Federal Protective Services, and Dept of Energy contract guard services. Most local "security" companies can't come close to what I believe you want for Westcreek.

My question is why HOA members would be willing to place responsibility for their community safety and security in the hands of total strangers. They don't live here...thus they have no vested interest in this community save the paycheck they are working for.

If HOA members fear for their safety and security then they should get involved with their community...Neighborhood Watch or Cellular On Patrol programs if available. Its cheaper and usually more reliable than relying on strangers. Private security has no more authority than any private citizen when it comes to proposed security activities. Anyone can effect a citizens arrest...the same goes for private security...they can only effect a citizens arrest. This applies to either commissioned or non commissioned security. I personally don't relish the presence of marginally trained armed or unarmed "strangers" driving around my neighborhood.

Why pay for "eyes and ears" in the community when all we have to do is get off of our duffs and volunteer to do perform the same activities..."observe and report" suspicious activity to the Sheriff's Dept. After all ...volunteering to support your own community isn't rocket science

Cereberus
Great points!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio