Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:11 PM

504 posts, read 1,494,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
That and...Buffalo has actually taken that title from us. Stay out of the zipcodes 14621, 14611, 14605, 14619, most of 14613 and you really don't have anything to worry about. 14607, 14620, 14610, 14612 and most of 14609 are fine. (I think I covered pretty much every zipcode within the city limits? Except downtown which is 14604 but there isn't much residential space there anyways)
Of course, briknope is an idiot for painting the city in such a broad brush, but let's have the facts on this anyway:

Buffalo Homicides:
2006: 74
2007: 55
2008: 37

Rochester Homicides:
2006: 53
2007: 50
2008: 44

So that means that the per capita murders in Buffalo have been lower in the past two years, and that Buffalo's homicides have dropped precipitously in that time. Rochester has improved but less so.

Sources:
Fewer murders are still too many : Buffalo/Erie County : The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buffaloerie/story/538862.html - broken link)
City Homicides Down in 2008 - 13WHAM.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 12:17 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times
I have to agree...woodlawn really isn't a bad area. True..if you head North of Monroe or south of 490...you will be in a better area; but Pearl-Meigs isn't too bad. My parents lived on edmonds until the late 50's when they bought the house I grew up in in Greece and I've been back there to check it out (Eventhough they lived there before I was born) and it is a decent neighborhood. WAY better than anything you'll find in 14621!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:14 PM

57 posts, read 199,099 times
Quote:
I have to agree...woodlawn really isn't a bad area. True..if you head North of Monroe or south of 490...you will be in a better area; but Pearl-Meigs isn't too bad. My parents lived on edmonds until the late 50's when they bought the house I grew up in in Greece and I've been back there to check it out (Eventhough they lived there before I was born) and it is a decent neighborhood. WAY better than anything you'll find in 14621!
There are some nice areas in 14621. Right on the border of Irondequoit. Some of the side streets off Seneca are pretty nice.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:35 PM

8 posts, read 43,417 times
do a google search of the address or streets and click on maps and do a street view and base your own opinion. I don't want to put down anyone's place to live, but there are alot of people I know that live in the city that wish to god they never bought a house there saying "it was a great neighborhood in 1975!" I don't want to apear like a snob, and I have no idea of your financial situation, but if you have a 4 year old that will probably attend school soon you may want to take a close look at the schools nearby. And I do believe Buffalo is much larger than Rochester 292K vs 206K people so i didn't get out my calculator but that puts it closer before anyone calls me an idiot. This was referenced from wikipedia.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briknope View Post
r before anyone calls me an idiot. This was referenced from wikipedia.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 PM

504 posts, read 1,494,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briknope View Post
do a google search of the address or streets and click on maps and do a street view and base your own opinion. I don't want to put down anyone's place to live, but there are alot of people I know that live in the city that wish to god they never bought a house there saying "it was a great neighborhood in 1975!"
You seem to be aware that there are different neighborhoods in the city. Well, this may come as a surprise, but there are some good ones and some bad ones. Of the three addresses provided by mike081983, only one is within the city limits. I just pulled up the street view of Woodlawn St and what I saw was generally well-kept, attractive homes within a block of an interesting commercial area (Monroe Ave).

Andover St and E Ridge Rd seemed all right too, but if I were just moving to Rochester I would want someone to tell me how much better the quality of life is around Monroe Ave than the near northern suburbs.

The idea that you're more likely to get murdered because it's a city address is asinine. I highly recommend getting a feel for a neighborhood before you sign a lease, and I think the best areas of the city are within reach of mike081983's budget.

Quote:
And I do believe Buffalo is much larger than Rochester 292K vs 206K people so i didn't get out my calculator but that puts it closer before anyone calls me an idiot. This was referenced from wikipedia.
I don't know what point you're trying to make here. Are you trying to add to the discussion about the murder rate in Buffalo and Rochester? I am aware of the difference in population, and I accounted for it by referring to "per capita" homicides.

And anyway, I was confirming what you said. Rochester is indeed the "murder capitol" of New York, because it has more per capita murders than any other city. It was just sorta dumb to bring that up in this conversation.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,721,377 times
Saying that a place is the "murder capitol" of a state is stupid. You are only comparing it to a couple of other cities. NY only has around 4 cities over 200k that would be comparable. Being the murder capitol, or even the top 10 in the county would be another city because you are actually comparing it with lots of other places.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:25 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Saying that a place is the "murder capitol" of a state is stupid. You are only comparing it to a couple of other cities. NY only has around 4 cities over 200k that would be comparable. Being the murder capitol, or even the top 10 in the county would be another city because you are actually comparing it with lots of other places.
Also, people need to put things into perspective. For instance, Syracuse had 25 in 2008 in a city of 140,000, but I wouldn't say the whole city of Syracuse is bad. We rarely get over 20 here and if we do get over 20, it is usually barely over.

Then, you have the apsect of what type of murder they were. Here, I would say most of the murders were drug related, domestics and people that knew each other, for the overwhelming part. So, lifestyle is something that needs to be considered in things like this as well.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 PM

Yeah; its pretty much the same thing here. As harsh as this will sound MOST of the murders in the city are isolated incidents of lowlifes killing lowlifes in specific rough neighborhoods. The sad exceptions this year including a community activist who was an innocent victim.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:30 AM

14 posts, read 35,735 times
Quote:
That and...Buffalo has actually taken that title from us. Stay out of the zipcodes 14621, 14611, 14605, 14619, most of 14613 and you really don't have anything to worry about. 14607, 14620, 14610, 14612 and most of 14609 are fine. (I think I covered pretty much every zipcode within the city limits? Except downtown which is 14604 but there isn't much residential space there anyways)

I'm narrowing my search down to a few places since I am moving in 2 to 3 weeks now and have a few questions on some places. One place I found was a nice duplex house in 14608 on 19 hubbell park at South Fitzhugh (Cornhill).

Another place is located in Mount Morris I don't have an address since it did not give one.

The last place is located on Haywood Ave at Goodman ST in downtown Rochester. It states about Sect 8, SSD, DSS are accepted now in Maine those are 9 times out of 10 bad areas. Is that the same for Rochester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area