Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 01:12 PM

31 posts, read 56,340 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I was hoping you all could point me in the right direction. We (me,wife and 1 year old) will be moving to the Rochester area for work (job is on the brighton/henrietta border). I was hoping for some direction in where to start our house hunt. Our criteria is fairly basic, budget is $175000. We would like a nice suburban, safe, good schools ect no more than a 25 min drive. I would really prefer newer construction, our current house was a fixer and i'm still at it 3 1/2 yrs later. Relocating from Northern NJ (about a half hour from NYC). I was also hoping someone could give me an idea of what to expect utility wise (heat and central air). Any other good info on the area is really appreciated all we know is the winters will be rough!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 PM

525 posts, read 1,828,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenj View Post
Hi everyone,
I was hoping you all could point me in the right direction. We (me,wife and 1 year old) will be moving to the Rochester area for work (job is on the brighton/henrietta border). I was hoping for some direction in where to start our house hunt. Our criteria is fairly basic, budget is $175000. We would like a nice suburban, safe, good schools ect no more than a 25 min drive. I would really prefer newer construction, our current house was a fixer and i'm still at it 3 1/2 yrs later. Relocating from Northern NJ (about a half hour from NYC). I was also hoping someone could give me an idea of what to expect utility wise (heat and central air). Any other good info on the area is really appreciated all we know is the winters will be rough!!!
Does your budget include the fact that taxes will run $6-$7k/yr on a $175k house? I assume it does based upon the fact that you are coming from NJ, but I want to confirm.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Yes it does. I'm paying $5300 a year on a 1200sqft ranch built in 1955 on .09 acres (and ugh it cost almost $300K)

Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM

The type of homes we are looking at are 3bed 2bath 2 car garage preferably Colonial style but ranch or bi level not out of the question. The equivelent down here would run about $500K and taxes in the 10-12K range. BIG PART of making the move!!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:58 PM

525 posts, read 1,828,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenj View Post
The type of homes we are looking at are 3bed 2bath 2 car garage preferably Colonial style but ranch or bi level not out of the question. The equivelent down here would run about $500K and taxes in the 10-12K range. BIG PART of making the move!!!!
I'd take a look at Chili, Henrietta, and Penfield, as Penfield, Rush-Henrietta, and Churchville-Chili are all good schools. I don't think anything in new construction in Brighton would fit your price range...same with Pittsford. Webster is nice, but bordering on that 25 minute drive. If you want more rural, you should definitely be able to find something south in the Rush area.

Call RGE on any interested property to get average utilities for gas and electric. It can range significantly based upon age, insulation, furnace, materials, etc. Figure water will run $20/month and waste disposal $30/month.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:23 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
This might help too: Nothnagle.com - Full Service REALTOR® - Homes for sale in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Elmira/Corning NY

You can check out the NY State department of education report card website and GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for information on the area schools as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area