Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 14,068 times

Advertisements

What areas are the best for a family? Moving soon from PA to be close to family...looking at Chili, Greece, Gates and Charlotte so far....family in Greece, Spencerport and Victor.....not looking to spend too much up to 800 for 2-3 bedroom. Appreciate any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 AM

525 posts, read 1,829,179 times
800 for a 2-3 bedroom is going to be tough for a good place if you have kids. You can try places like Windsor Gardens maybe, although that gets mixed reviews. Greece probably has a few possible apartment complexes. You can probably afford something in Charlotte, but I would avoid that if you have kids that would have to go to the city school district. You'd probably be best to call around to see what you can find, and then search here (and ask if you cannot find in the search).

Old 07-01-2008, 11:54 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
800 for a 2-3 bedroom is going to be tough for a good place if you have kids. You can try places like Windsor Gardens maybe, although that gets mixed reviews. Greece probably has a few possible apartment complexes. You can probably afford something in Charlotte, but I would avoid that if you have kids that would have to go to the city school district. You'd probably be best to call around to see what you can find, and then search here (and ask if you cannot find in the search).
I agree... Charlotte would not be the best place to raise kids right now... I would try to look at Greece and you might want to look into something that provides assistance since you need to stay under $800... that might be tough. You might have a bit more luck in terms of cost if you head to Spencerport or Gates/Chili area. If you are looking at Victor... FARMINGTON might have something in your price range... but that is a bit of a ways out there in terms of driving and I dont know what kind of commute you will have.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 14,068 times
thanks to both of you...I am finding a little bit of trouble....but we are keeping it more towards the chili/gates/greece area.

Anyone heard anything about Chase Manor Townhouses?

Last edited by bellafinzi; 07-02-2008 at 08:24 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 PM

I don't know much about Chase Manor Townhouses, but the location is ok. Gates-Chili schools leave a little to be desired if schools are important to you. I'd target Churchville-Chili or Spencerport if I could, but for that same reason rents are a little higher in those districts.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:16 AM
mga

230 posts, read 397,933 times
stay out of greece...alot of white trash lives there and the roads are always conjested. their taxes are outrageous.

move to the east side towns of rochester for better living conditions and better schools.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mga View Post
stay out of greece...alot of white trash lives there and the roads are always conjested. their taxes are outrageous.

move to the east side towns of rochester for better living conditions and better schools.
Wow, that is a generic and ignorant statement. One could just as easily say the east side is highly overpriced and full of pretentious snobs, as so elegantly exhibited above. I think you are right on with the Ogden/Chili areas. Both the Spencerport and Churchville-Chili schools are par with any on the east side

Old 07-04-2008, 11:44 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,876,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga View Post

That is a horrible statement... I usually push East Side as well... but that is just not accurate. There are wonderful parts of Greece- I like the parts near Hilton myself. But to say it is all white trash is closeminded and superficial. I have friends and family there who are far from trash... I grew up on the East Side and I like the fact that there is less congestion- that I will agree with... but to generalize like that is ignorant.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:04 PM

I'm not sure how everyone can say the roads are less congested on the east side. If you are comparing apples to apples for inner-ring suburbs (e.g., Brighton to Gates, Irondequoit to Greece), then West Ridge Road is comparable to East Ridge Road, and Monroe Ave. is comparable to Buffalo Rd. or Chili Ave. or whatever you pick. If you get out to Spencerport or Chili, it is probably less congested than Fairport, Penfield, or Victor. Brockport may be an exception due to the college and no immediate highway access.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
mga

230 posts, read 397,933 times
have you ever looked at the town of greece? low income housing, and the majority of homes are old, run down and look like hell.

sure, there are some newer homes in certain parts, but these are mostly blue-collar wealth, as is most of the west side.

the east side attracts more college graduated business people. this isn't my opinion...ask any realtor, in private and off the record, and they'll tell you the exact thing as i have stated above.

as for schools, the webster and fairport and pittsford school systems far surpass those on the west side....even your beloved spencerport. i'll be fair and not even mention hilton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area